Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It has been discussed already in the thread. At one time it was considered improper for either sex to go topkess in public.

I read your post wrong - but at no time was it ILLEGAL for a man to go without a shirt - Improper in the presence of a lady, no doubt, even as it should be today, but not so when women aren't around.

To my knowledge, I know of no time in US history wherein topless females in public would be tolerated (w/New Orleans the exception)... To include, for the most part, in the native nations prior to our establishment.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nothing unChristian about gender equality.

It has nothing to do with equality - different things are incomparable.
The Bible says plenty about such mixing up, however.

At one time a man going topless would have drawn just as much attention in the US. It is cultural. If it baca me common for women to go topless it wouldn't be noticed.

Too bad one doesn't notice such effects as the degradation of culture by way of coarsening, and mourn it for what it is.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

You claimed that there is "no sense at all wherein the Bible can be used to promote nudity." Yet Peter fished while naked and no one saw anything wrong with it. In fact it was common practice at the time.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I read your post wrong - but at no time was it ILLEGAL for a man to go without a shirt - Improper in the presence of a lady, no doubt, even as it should be today, but not so when women aren't around.

Wrong. In 1935 42 topless males in Atlantic City, NJ were arrested for violated laws that prohibited men from going topless in public. They paid $82 total in fines. It wasn't until 1936 that a law prohibiting men from going topless in public was lifted in New York.

To my knowledge, I know of no time in US history wherein topless females in public would be tolerated (w/New Orleans the exception)... To include, for the most part, in the native nations prior to our establishment.

It is perfectly legal for women to go topless in the State of New York. The Court opinion where that was held to be legal can be found here: THE PEOPLE &C., RESPONDENT, v. RAMONA SANTORELLI AND MARY LOU SCHLOSS, APPELLANTS, ET AL., DEFENDANTS. There the Court wrote that "the People have made no attempt below and make none before us to demonstrate that the statute's discriminatory effect serves an important governmental interest or that the classification is based on a reasoned predicate." Women are likewise permitted to go topless in New Hampshire and the District of Columbia and in some cities. It is likewise permitted in most Canadian provinces.

And I have seen topless women sunbathing in NYC's Central Park. It is becoming more common.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It has nothing to do with equality - different things are incomparable.

Then why was it once illegal for men to go topless in public.

The Bible says plenty about such mixing up, however.

The Bible says nothing about women going topless in public.

Too bad one doesn't notice such effects as the degradation of culture by way of coarsening, and mourn it for what it is.

Equality has nothing to do with the degradation of culture.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I recall having a topless law in my region for a time in the past, I'm not sure if we still have it for this reason: For the first year, women exercised their rights, same the second year, then it kind of stopped happening because men are mostly perverts.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You claimed that there is "no sense at all wherein the Bible can be used to promote nudity." Yet Peter fished while naked and no one saw anything wrong with it. In fact it was common practice at the time.

And I am SURE farm workers worked the fields with hardly anything on, even as they do today.

It's a far cry from strutting your junk around town.

When no women are present, its FINE, and always has been, Just like women finding a private place on the river to bathe naked together, where no men are present. That kind of thing has happened all the way along.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And I am SURE farm workers worked the fields with hardly anything on, even as they do today.

It's a far cry from strutting your junk around town.

When no women are present, its FINE, and always has been, Just like women finding a private place on the river to bathe naked together, where no men are present. That kind of thing has happened all the way along.

If you have read the Bible you know that Peter was fully visible from the shore. He saw Jesus from the boat, meaning that anyone on shore could have seen him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wrong. In 1935 42 topless males in Atlantic City, NJ were arrested for violated laws that prohibited men from going topless in public. They paid $82 total in fines. It wasn't until 1936 that a law prohibiting men from going topless in public was lifted in New York.

Again, so what? You are talking about a city ordinance, IN PUBLIC.

I have already declared that it is rightfully improper for men to be shirtless with women present , and has been my whole life long.

It is perfectly legal for women to go topless in the State of New York.

wheee! enjoy the destruction of American morality while you can... It won't last long.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you have read the Bible you know that Peter was fully visible from the shore. He saw Jesus from the boat, meaning that anyone on shore could have seen him.

And likely a remote part of the lake where no one was there to see.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Again, so what? You are talking about a city ordinance, IN PUBLIC.

Cities are a subdivision of the state. A city ordinance is the law.

You were the one who said that "at no time was it ILLEGAL for a man to go without a shirt." You are wrong. It was.

I have already declared that it is rightfully improper for men to be shirtless with women present , and has been my whole life long.

That is your call. However it isn't up to you to make that determination for others.

wheee! enjoy the destruction of American morality while you can... It won't last long.

People have been saying that for years. America is still around.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then why was it once illegal for men to go topless in public.

Improper, not illegal.
Just as it is improper for women to go topless, even if it is 'legal.'

The Bible says nothing about women going topless in public.

Riiight... They should keep their hair covered to avoid tempting the angels, but topless is just fine... LOL!

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
1Ti 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

... But somehow you see 'topless is ok' in that passage.

Equality has nothing to do with the degradation of culture.

Oh sure it does. On all fronts.
Different things are not equal, because they are different. The lie is that they ever could be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Your most recent post was not properly formatted; I will respond as best I can.

Yes, it was illegal for men to go topless. City ordinances made it illegal. You can keep saying that it wasn't all you want but you are wrong.

The Bible in addressing women's modesty references overdressing, not underdressing. Try actually reading what Timothy is saying: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array".

Equality? Please provide one reason why men should be allowed to go topless in public but women should not.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And you know that how... Proof, please.

Because he was naked.

first of all, he was far enough out that he didn't recognize Yeshua on the beach. Any nakedness was at a distance (200 cubits - roughly 100 yards offshore). Hollerin' distance. 100 yards is quite a ways.

Secondly, naked may well be subjective the word used does not necessarily preclude a loincloth or some such... there is room for 'relatively naked'.

goom-nos'
Of uncertain affinity; nude (absolutely or relatively, literally or figuratively): - naked.

Notice that he DID put a tunic on before swimming to shore.

If they are back in port, why the breakfast on the beach, and the landing on the beach?

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your most recent post was not properly formatted; I will respond as best I can.

It looks fine here.

Yes, it was illegal for men to go topless. City ordinances made it illegal. You can keep saying that it wasn't all you want but you are wrong.

Fine, I'll cede the point. If you have to go down to city ordinances, the greater point is already made.

The Bible in addressing women's modesty references overdressing, not underdressing. Try actually reading what Timothy is saying: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array".

Because consistently, the Bible ties those things to strumpets.

If you think topless equates with 'shamefaced sobriety', and ' But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works' , I am wasting my time.

Equality? Please provide one reason why men should be allowed to go topless in public but women should not.

If you don't understand the sexual nature of women's breasts, I am indeed wasting my time.

Nuff said. Good day.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Topless? For women?

Why? And do you want to let little children see that?

Don't they have nudists resorts and stuff like that if you really need to do this?

Whatever happened to common decency?

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0