Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is fine if it works for her. I'm on my 9th reading of the Bible and I have never seen anything saying that it is immodest for a woman to go topless in public.

We are not supposed to do anything that might cause another to slip and let's face it women running around topless might give some wrong ideas jeepers.

Reading the Bible it tells us that some things may be sin to one and not to another yes my wife would consider this as sin but if others don't that's between them and their God.

Bob

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We are not supposed to do anything that might cause another to slip and let's face it women running around topless might give some wrong ideas jeepers.

Until after WWI it was illegal in the US for either sex to go topless. Ideas of what is improper change over time.

Reading the Bible it tells us that some things may be sin to one and not to another yes my wife would consider this as sin but if others don't that's between them and their God.

As I said, whatever works for your wife.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That is cultural. That changes over time.
No, it doesn't.

A wife is one flesh with her husband and only her husband. A part of being one flesh is seeing other in ways other people don't. To take a part of the one flesh contract and share it with everyone is a sin.

One's body in intimate. That doesn't change with culture. Intimacy like that is only to be shared with one's spouse.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, it doesn't.

A wife is one flesh with her husband and only her husband. A part of being one flesh is seeing other in ways other people don't. To take a part of the one flesh contract and share it with everyone is a sin.

One's body in intimate. That doesn't change with culture. Intimacy like that is only to be shared with one's spouse.
Does your wife wear a burqa?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't have a wife. But what's your point?
A woman not wearing a burqa is sharing face, her arms, her feet, her legs with others.

And sorry, misread your earlier post as saying that you and your wife were one flesh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Bob
Yeah maybe I should stay at home. No TV or net either. Might offend or be offended. Ya jus cain't win.

bugkiller

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Until after WWI it was illegal in the US for either sex to go topless. Ideas of what is improper change over time.

I'm glad that the God of the bible never changes.
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: CodyFaith
Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A woman not wearing a burqa is sharing face, her arms, her feet, her legs with others.

Sorry - that is an Arabic contortion, equal in opposition to your own.
The Biblical truth lies between.

Israeli women never wore a burqa.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Can you back that up w/ links? Because I find it to be completely fallacious.
In no case that I am aware of, from the very landing on Plymouth Rock, has it ever been proper in the US for women to go topless in public. It may not have been illegal, as in a particular statute written, but that does not mean it was proper or in any way the popular view.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Why think that is part of a downward moral trend, when it is a cultural process that the Bible is not ever addressing, and if equality of rights for men and women in law is a good thing?

Gender equality is not Christian. It is worldliness. Christians are not to follow the sinful ways of the world. The reason for a national go topless day is for immoral women to promote feminism and liberalism which are both opposed to Christianity.

Modesty in the Bible is really about humility. So dressing in manners to gain attention to one's self, as opposed to having attention directed toward things of God, is what is contrary to modesty, in that sense meant in the Bible.

A woman strutting around topless showing of her breasts isn't drawing attention to herself?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry - that is an Arabic contortion, equal in opposition to your own.
The Biblical truth lies between.

Israeli women never wore a burqa.
But it was stated that a woman is one flesh with her husband and she is not to share her body with anyone else. If a woman is not wearing burqa then she is exposing many parts of her body to others. And a man going topless is exposing parts of his body to others. Or is that ok.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you back that up w/ links? Because I find it to be completely fallacious.
In no case that I am aware of, from the very landing on Plymouth Rock, has it ever been proper in the US for women to go topless in public. It may not have been illegal, as in a particular statute written, but that does not mean it was proper or in any way the popular view.
It has been discussed already in the thread. At one time it was considered improper for either sex to go topkess in public.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gender equality is not Christian. It is worldliness. Christians are not to follow the sinful ways of the world. The reason for a national go topless day is for immoral women to promote feminism and liberalism which are both opposed to Christianity.

Nothing unChristian about gender equality.

A woman strutting around topless showing of her breasts isn't drawing attention to herself?

At one time a man going topless would have drawn just as much attention in the US. It is cultural. If it baca me common for women to go topless it wouldn't be noticed.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But it was stated that a woman is one flesh with her husband and she is not to share her body with anyone else. If a woman is not wearing burqa then she is exposing many parts of her body to others.

The two do not equate. One would have to impose upon the text a condition that is simply not there, in the text, or in archaeological and anthropological examination of ancient Hebrew culture.

And a man going topless is exposing parts of his body to others. Or is that ok.

Where I live, no, it is not ok. It is of a lesser social crime than a woman for a man to be so exposed, as a man's 'top' has little sexual connotation... But while men work with their shirts off as a necessity in the heat, when a woman is close by, the shirts go on.

I have done so my whole life. it is impolite to do otherwise.
The exception, I'll admit, is on the water or at the swimming hole, where a shirt is unpractical.

But even so, I would question your 'good for the gander is good for the goose' approach. The two are not the same.

Upvote 0