Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names for Kids Church groups?

Discussion in 'Children and Youth Ministry' started by BBlessed, Jun 3, 2007.

1. BBlessed

BBlessed Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Hi there!
    I'm really new to Kids Church, and really new to this forum! I've taught a small class of pre-schoolers for a long time, but have just taken on the whole Childrens' Ministry in our growing church - and started up a Kids Church in the last few weeks.
    Aside form feeling incredibly overwhelmed and out of my depth (which is just where the Lord wants me cos then I rely on Him and not myself!!) I think I'm loving it!

The children break up into groups after a worship session. The youngest group have always been known as Little Stars - so that will stay.
    But the other children have not been grouped before - so they need group names.
    Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate your help!
    Thankyou!

2. skyblue

skyblue Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Children’s ministry is a great place to be … keep your enthusiasm and enjoy every moment! :thumbsup: Little Stars … hmmm :scratch:

We call our mid-week program “Kids Connection.” Our children’s church doesn’t have a name other than that … “Children’s Church.”

Maybe when your kids break into small groups, they could choose their own name for their group with their leaders’ help?? … probably not the Big Dippers :D .

Are you hoping to stay within the same “theme”? How many names do you need? What is your vision/focus in choosing a name? Just wondering …

:scratch: Maybe an acronym S.T.A.R.S. and add a spiritual reason for the name:

Sunbeams (of God’s Light or Love)
    Tides (Holding the Faith)
    Auroras (The Mysteries of God)
    Rays (of Hope or Rainbows of Promise)
    Spectrums (Spreading the Good News)

Asteroids
    Bright Stars
    Comets
    Clusters
    Eclipses
    Meteors

(I’ve been searching a Stars Guide for ideas… you may need to give a “wonders of God’s creation science lesson” for the kids to know the significance of a name).

Have fun, nonetheless, whatever you decide! … and what an opportunity you have to be a part of these kids lives! God is good.

(I'm pretty new here, too! Welcome! :wave: )

3. MagicSteve

MagicSteve Magical Entertainer

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Our whole Sunday School is called BigSmall

4. HeyHomie

HeyHomie Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    How about asking the kids what they want to call their groups?

5. JackieHollow

JackieHollow Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I like the idea of staying in the same theme. Kinda provides unity to seperate classes. But if you aren't going with the theme... here are a few ideas..

Kingdom Kids
    GLORY Kids (this is what our young children's drama team is called. It's an acronym for God's Loving Obedient Respectful Young Kids)
    His Kids

I'll post more if I think of them. We just started the drama team and those were some I thought about for them.

6. E-beth

E-beth Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    My church's children's program is also called Kid's Connection.

The individual classes are named after bugs. My son just had a birthday, and went from being a butterfly to a dragonfly. He was VERY excited as he told everyone in sight about it.

I teach at a Christian preschool, and our classes have "kid friendly" names like Gumball Gang, Busy Bees, JellyBean Bunch, and Rainbow Kids.

7. JenRJen

JenRJen Junior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    My husband is starting a program for the younger kids. It's called:

JAM (Jesus And Me)

8. jjagsmama

jjagsmama New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    UnitedChurchOfChrist
    We just started calling ours L.A.M.B.S~ learning about my blessed saviour:amen:

9. faiththefish

faiththefish New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    how about you stay with the space theme and call them the supernovas or comets?

10. mrscplus

mrscplus Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    Whenever we have named the program, we started with the mission statement of the church - have done this in at least 3 congregations that my hubby was serving.

In one congregation, part of the mission statement was "growing in christ" so...
    We were "the growing edge", and had each class named something else within that theme:
    Nursery - sprouts
    Teens - the Cliff hangers
    etc.
    Mostly have fun with it, and I agree with asking the kids what they think too.

11. superchickfan112

superchickfan112 New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    I am a student of them, but I think it is pretty cool. The whole Children's Ministries Department is called Calvary Town. The 5th/6th grade is called "Fuel", the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th grades is called "The Junction", the Preschool/Kindergarten is called "Bounce blvd." and the nursery is called "Baby lane". So it all kinda goes together as a town. It is pretty cool.

God Bless

12. Robinsegg

Robinsegg SuperMod L's Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    We had "Young Shepherds for Christ" or YSC once . . . as we wanted to teach the kids to be church leaders and follow the Good Shepherd.

I've also seen it called "Sunday Street".

Young Disciples could be good, too.

If you're looking for a theme . . . maybe something on the names of Christ? The Morning Star, Lion of Judah, Rose of Sharon (if you have an all girls class), Lily of the Valley, etc. If you like this idea, here's a website that lists them, along with Scripture reference: http://www.embassyofheaven.com/catalog/comeout/comeoutk3a.htm

13. Matthew19Fourteen

Matthew19Fourteen New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Our kids program is called Kids For Christ, and our kids Praise and Dance team is called C.L.I.C.K. ( Christ living in Christian Kids).

14. marezee

marezee Keeper of the Cheerios

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    our preschool progarm is called "Little Lambs", and the older kids are just "Temple Kids" (our church is Temple Baptist Church).

I really like the name JenRJen had: JAM (Jesus And Me). that's pretty cool!

15. writer4him

writer4him New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    I like Jam a lot as well, our kids church room is Called Electric Ave. So since that's our room the actual group is called the lightning Squad. and of course our moto is Kids powered up to light the world for Jesus. The kids love it.
    Our youth group name is Prodeo it's latin meaning for God.

16. AlohaAquamarine

AlohaAquamarine Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I can't help..our kids ministry is called Zoo.

Although some kids call it Kids Club, others call it Kids Chuch...

Some nights it feels like a Zoo ! lol

17. jimsz

jimsz New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian

Note however that some of the names you mention to use are actually Registered Trademarks and in many cases you can't legally use them for your church/group, etc.. Trademark works on classifications, some of the names mentioned are registered for a "club" type classification, one is registered for clothing, etc. If you call your group that name and then have a shirt made with that name on it, you are breaking the law and opening yourself to a legal problem. With trademarks the owner is required to enforce their ownership or risk losing it. That means, receiving a legal C & D letter!

18. WebPrincess

WebPrincess Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational