✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8630338/

This is sad but I don't think you can blame police. I think a lawsuit here would be a horrible decision on anyones part. I know that the parents are heart broken at the loss. One set of parents said it right on.

"I don't think me and my husband want to go through that. Suing anybody or getting a lawyer isn't going to help us bring him back," Iraida Agosto said.

While another one of the parents said they were filing a lawsuit against police. Still while this is a terrible tragedy you can't blame police.

What happens if some stupid jury decides on the parents side and gives money to the family? What would this do to the police department the next time a child comes up missing? Just when we are getting this country to realize the threat against our children, this is the last thing we need.

-cw

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Since it was one of the fathers who found the children when it was too late, why couldn't anyone, not just the police, have found them earlier. This is truly a tragic story. Stupidity abounded!

That said, what good would a lawsuit be? :cry:

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This actually happened right in my backyard.

I'm from Mt Ephraim, NJ, and this happened in Camden so, needless to say, it's been the big story around here for a couple of weeks.

Anybody who has had children knows that they can get away from you pretty quickly and I don't necessarily say that the parents were negligent, but the bottom line is that it's the parents' responsibility to know where their children are, not the police's.

This is such a tragic story but the police are in no way to blame and for them to be sued by the parents is nothing but a bad parent cashing in on the death of their child and that's just dispicable.

If they were to win, then I think that would just be another nail in the coffin of our society.

Upvote 0

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ugh...13 hours. I don't even want to think about that.

Of course, in our society today, we have to blameshift as much as possible and make money at the same time. The parents could sue the police, or the car manufacturer, or each other, but it wouldn't bring the children back and would not let them rest in peace.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trogdor the Burninator said:
Yes, I'm better on a lawsuit against the car maker.

Why the car maker? It's the parents responsibility to make sure the car is locked and properly maintained. Our society wants to blame everyone else when bad things happen.

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
CarrieAg93 said:
Why the car maker? It's the parents responsibility to make sure the car is locked and properly maintained. Our society wants to blame everyone else when bad things happen.

I could be wrong, but I think he was being slightly facetious--at least I hope so. That said, suing the manufacturer for another party's misuse of its product wouldn't be unprecedented. There's an ongoing series of junk lawsuits against gun manufacturers whose products are used in the commission of a crime. So far, the plaintiffs of these lawsuits haven't won, but that doesn't matter. It's an effective way of driving gun manufacturers out of business. I hate to sound too pessimistic, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if one of the lawyers does try to sue the car maker for this tragedy.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jlujan69 said:
I could be wrong, but I think he was being slightly facetious--at least I hope so. That said, suing the manufacturer for another party's misuse of its product wouldn't be unprecedented. There's an ongoing series of junk lawsuits against gun manufacturers whose products are used in the commission of a crime. So far, the plaintiffs of these lawsuits haven't won, but that doesn't matter. It's an effective way of driving gun manufacturers out of business. I hate to sound too pessimistic, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if one of the lawyers does try to sue the car maker for this tragedy.

It wouldn't surprise me either. Unfortunately some lawyers will sue almost anyone for anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CarrieAg93 said:
Why the car maker?

Theoretically, a person may have a case that a car maker should have a release button inside the trunk. It's not entirely unreasonable to say that getting locked in a trunk is a very real and reasonable possibility and as such, car makers should have a release (kinda like how modern refigerators have to be able to be opened from the inside). I don't know the specifics of the law, but I'd suspect that is the argument that can be made.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
trunks2k said:
Theoretically, a person may have a case that a car maker should have a release button inside the trunk. It's not entirely unreasonable to say that getting locked in a trunk is a very real and reasonable possibility and as such, car makers should have a release

But I don't think that's reasonable.

What's possible and what is reasonably are two different things.

It's great that manufacturers are putting internal trunk releases in cars but, given the improbability of somebody being locked in a car trunk, I don't know that they should be expected to do this or blamed when they don't.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MikeMcK said:
But I don't think that's reasonable.

What's possible and what is reasonably are two different things.

I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying that if someone were to sue the car manufactorer, that could be the sort of grounds they would sue on.

Upvote 0