Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's safe to say that the Orthodox Church does not reject the possibilities of mystical experiences. But we are also aware of counterfeits, which are a real danger. Given that humility is something to be cultivated, and mystical experiences can lead to pride, there is that additional layer of caution.

What Jckstraw said - it should be discerned with the help of a trusted guide (who would know the Traditions and what the Church knows on the subject). And the fruit is important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I’ve been listening to Morning Offerings by Abbot Tryphon and he mentions how we cannot know God rationally, and seems to insistent on knowing God irrationally or rather subjectively through the use of our emotions/heart. Did I understand him correctly?

How is the mystical experience in Orthodoxy different from mystical experiences of Hinduism or Buddhism?

Thank you.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been listening to Morning Offerings by Abbot Tryphon and he mentions how we cannot know God rationally, and seems to insistent on knowing God irrationally or rather subjectively through the use of our emotions/heart. Did I understand him correctly?

How is the mystical experience in Orthodoxy different from mystical experiences of Hinduism or Buddhism?

Thank you.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I wonder if he is talking about the same thing as some talks I've listed to by Fr. Thomas Hopko on this?

His explanation is that it is impossible for the human mind to fully comprehend and explain God. Anything we try to say about Him will at best fall short in some way, and that by presenting even a truth, since we cannot fully offer and explain ALL of any truth, the extent to which we fail in that makes us out to be essentially liars. Yet we CAN and do experience God, to the degree He shares His energies with us. These things are real and true. But they are also necessarily limited because we are mere humans.

I am not overly familiar with Buddhist or especially Hindu mysticism. But surely one big difference is that our focus is on God. I'm a little surprised at the question. Perhaps you have something specific in mind?

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Thank you.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Perhaps he's speaking of the nous, sometimes spoken of as the heart in English, though it isn't quite the same. There's no doubt that we can't truly know God through the rational mind, and can only know Him through communion, which would be with the nous.

Any true communion coming from God would bring on immediate repentance and humility, so that it wouldn't even be something we would want to/could talk about except with our Spiritual Father. From what I have read of mystical experiences outside of the Holy Spirit, they wouldn't produce that kind of fruit.

Mary

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

it's more arationally, meaning beyond reason. we know God through direct personal experience. the heart is not emotions, but rather the center of man where one contemplates God.

only in Christianity does God come as He is directly to man, and not in some avatar form or with an intermediary.

Upvote 0