Mysterious forces tug at the Pioneer probes.

F

FromTheAshes

'It's hard to imagine such a leak happening on both probes at the same time in such a way as to produce an identical acceleration,' he said.

My bet would be on particle accumulation. If they're picking up particles in their travels then their mass would be higher then our equations say it ought to be (we don't have statistics on particle density in the outer planetary systems). It's possible our understanding of gravity is fundimentally flawed, and Einstein screwed up as badly as Newton. That would make Quantum Physicists very very happy.

Upvote 0
F

FromTheAshes

Meh, outgassing would make a lot of sense if it's one probe, but for two probes (and I'm pretty sure they're both six-sigma precision) to fail the same way? Nah. Not unless there was something major overlooked. On the other hand the space equivelent of air resistance - constant impact with "space dust" would perfectly explain why they're slowing down the same amount. It might be that we've misestimated the density of space dust. It's not much of an effect, but over 30 years? It could make quite a difference.

Upvote 0

Amalthea

Sep 14, 2004
✟846.00
Faith
Protestant
Upvote 0
F

FromTheAshes

So an asymmetry in waste heat is all it takes? And an asymmetry of 3% no less? I wonder how many good explainations we can come up with without suggesting the laws of physics are busted?

P.S. WHY do the theoreticals jump the gun? Sometimes things not working right is just that - they're not working right. Doesn't imply the laws of physics screwed up ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amalthea

Sep 14, 2004
✟846.00
Faith
Protestant
Hey I'm a theorist and I always look hard, very hard, for existing physics. Otherwise you end up being a "cold fusion" nutcase.

Actually it isn't all that bad for people to look for the exotic as long as others search out the mundane. Plus of course, if you show it's heat loss then you don't get anything more than a published paper that is soon forgotten since it quickly loses relevance whereas new physics and Nobel here I come.

Upvote 0
F

FromTheAshes

Amalthea said:
Hey I'm a theorist and I always look hard, very hard, for existing physics. Otherwise you end up being a "cold fusion" nutcase.
That's unfair. Their original letter simply said that they'd found an energy increase when running a certain current through water a certain way, which, to paraphrase them, means jack, cause it's an exothermic process anyway. If we want to blame the right idiots we have to look at capitol hill.
Actually it isn't all that bad for people to look for the exotic as long as others search out the mundane. Plus of course, if you show it's heat loss then you don't get anything more than a published paper that is soon forgotten since it quickly loses relevance whereas new physics and Nobel here I come.
You see this is where your world and an engineer's differs. If we find some flaw in our calculations of forces we have to reconceptualize our models completely, then redo every simulation that ran with those models. It's a class A migraine. For you it's "quickly forgotten."

Upvote 0