• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My "Voices" my disorder...

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Reactions: Jaxxi
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Review this thread if you want, it details some of my experiences:

http://www.christianforums.com/thre...periencing-part-of-a-pm-conversation.7843548/

God Bless!
Ok so hon who are the respondants? The voices? Do you recognize their voices? Male or female? Do you answer them out loud? I am wondering why when you felt that feeling at one time it frightened you...because it was powerful but real and unseen?How long have you been a Christian? When were you baptized? Theres a reason im asking and Im on the same page with you with an open mind. There is no judgement in my asking so please continue and ill give you my spiritual analysis of what is going on...:)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Ok so hon who are the respondants? The voices? Do you recognize their voices? Male or female? Do you answer them out loud? I am wondering why when you felt that feeling at one time it frightened you...because it was powerful but real and unseen?How long have you been a Christian? When were you baptized? Theres a reason im asking and Im on the same page with you with an open mind. There is no judgement in my asking so please continue and ill give you my spiritual analysis of what is going on...:)
The voices used to be close enough for me to make out what they were saying, (about ten yards away) when they weren't speaking to each other, they were busy hurling insults at me, and trying to bully me, but after I called upon the name of Jesus, I heard a voice say one word, and it was right next to me, so close that it startled me and made me jump, it said simply "Go!" and it was a commanding, authoritative voice, and it was speaking to the other voices (presences) and I didn't hear any voices for about three months, but then they came back, but when they came back they stayed far off away from me, it now sounds like a television going off to loudly in another room, so I can no longer make out what they are saying, when I try to ignore them, they move in a little bit closer, then a little more, but the second my attention turns to them, they retreat into the distance again...

I can't make out whether they were male of female, I spoke back to them in the past, but not any longer, It still frightens me, I've been a Christian for about ten years, I haven't been baptized yet, but am strongly considering it, I have trouble in large crowds that sometimes prevents me from going to church, when I get scared or intimidated (by the voices) I get paranoia, then panic, followed by anxiety and PTSD...

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The voices used to be close enough for me to make out what they were saying, (about ten yards away) when they weren't speaking to each other, they were busy hurling insults at me, and trying to bully me, but after I called upon the name of Jesus, I heard a voice say one word, and it was right next to me, so close that it startled me and made me jump, it said simply "Go!" and it was a commanding, authoritative voice, and it was speaking to the other voices (presences) and I didn't hear any voices for about three months, but then they came back, but when they came back they stayed far off away from me, it now sounds like a television going off to loudly in another room, so I can no longer make out what they are saying, when I try to ignore them, they move in a little bit closer, then a little more, but the second my attention turns to them, they retreat into the distance again...

I can't make out whether they were male of female, I spoke back to them in the past, but not any longer, It still frightens me, I've been a Christian for about ten years, I haven't been baptized yet, but am strongly considering it, I have trouble in large crowds that sometimes prevents me from going to church, when I get scared or intimidated (by the voices) I get paranoia, then panic, followed by anxiety and PTSD...
Oh no...thats no good. Call around and see if you can find a church that would consider a private baptism and tell them of your condition. Though baptism is supposed to be a public observation of your faith in Christ it is mainly a way to put your old life to rest and start a new with the idea of living more like Christ and sinning no more. My family did a triple baptism at our church less than a year ago and my husband before used to listen to some hard core racist rap music, and he was an army man for 13 yrs. So he cussed like a sailor...after he was baptized the Holy Spirit was born in him and he doesnt listen to that music anymore and cussing bothers him. Slowly im watching things happen to him slowly that are proof to me that baptism isnt just getting dunked in some water but is something positive that changes your spirit making in anew. I think you should really consider it but be selective about who baptizes you and make sure they are someone who believes in Jesus Christ and loves the Lord.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Do you feel because of the voice that they might be lurking demons who you might have the ability to hear? You know it is really a matter of frequency if we can hear them ornot and some people like a radio can tune in to those frequencies better than others and they become audible to us. Ive never been able to hear them except once. I had one enter my body and scream at me in avforeign language and i ran from it inside my body screaming for Jesus and it was forced out of me through the top of my head. It was absolutely terrifying and after that id get sleep paralysis real bad and they would laugh at me when i couldnt move. Since then ive strengthened my faith and it has stopped. That incident happened to me only once and it was 20 years ago so i know it wasnt my mind playing tricks. After it left me I was all contorted and twisted up on my bed. It was so scary and violating.

Upvote 0

wagingwar

Feb 11, 2016
In His Presence
✟7,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know if it is demonic possession or not. I mean, the voices were so real, but then the meds make them go away, so if it's a demon, how is it that chemicals make them go away?
I don't have schizophrenia, but I have often thought that maybe the voices people hear are demons trying to make them do things, or to merely torment them. As for the meds making the voices go away, maybe it's not the meds, maybe it's the person's faith. They believe the voices will go when they take the meds, and because they believe it, it happens. Faith can work miracles. I think what we believe is the control center for our mental state. If we can talk ourselves into believing what we need to believe to function successfully, we will have this thing beat, and enjoy the peace we desire so much. I'll be praying for God to give you the faith it takes to be free. With God all things are possible Matthew 19:26.

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't have schizophrenia, but I have often thought that maybe the voices people hear are demons trying to make them do things, or to merely torment them. As for the meds making the voices go away, maybe it's not the meds, maybe it's the person's faith. They believe the voices will go when they take the meds, and because they believe it, it happens. Faith can work miracles. I think what we believe is the control center for our mental state. If we can talk ourselves into believing what we need to believe to function successfully, we will have this thing beat, and enjoy the peace we desire so much. I'll be praying for God to give you the faith it takes to be free. With God all things are possible Matthew 19:26.

thank you for the prayers.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe the meds "close the door" of the brain that leads to the voices. Just like taking cough medicine soothes a cough but the underlying problem is still there and when it wears off you start coughing again. Thats not in ones head willing the cough to go away. Its something physical that alters the body temporarily to not experiece the cough. I say if the medication doesnt have horrible side effects keep taking it because you deserve peace of mind. The only voice you should be able to hear is your own when you are alone...if you decide to open your mouth and say something! I mean i dont hear a voice talk to me when i think even. I cant imagine having voices of random people ridiculing me in my own mind. That would be violating!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe the meds "close the door" of the brain that leads to the voices. Just like taking cough medicine soothes a cough but the underlying problem is still there and when it wears off you start coughing again. Thats not in ones head willing the cough to go away. Its something physical that alters the body temporarily to not experiece the cough. I say if the medication doesnt have horrible side effects keep taking it because you deserve peace of mind. The only voice you should be able to hear is your own when you are alone...if you decide to open your mouth and say something! I mean i dont hear a voice talk to me when i think even. I cant imagine having voices of random people ridiculing me in my own mind. That would be violating!
Yes, it is...

My meds only lessens the frequency of the voices, from everyday, to about twice a month (so the side effects of the medication is worth it) I've also heard music, I've been tried to communicate with by something using music in my mind... Yes, being afraid to speak and pray out loud, even when your alone, is an obstacle to overcome with this disorder. In fact, it's all fear-based, it begins with fear, then panic, paranoia, anxiety, PTSD...

It is one royal pain in the ^ss...

Thank you all for your comments and for listening, it helps, Thanks!

God Bless!

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, NG. Went through something similar for many, many years. My present opinion is that these voices were demonic. It's a bit like having an obscene, hateful, cruel, jeering radio in your head 24/7, and none of these "thoughts" are you. These voices shut up and were kicked out before I came to Christ, and just having me speaking in my own mind was a miracle. The last thing they said to me was "we're still gonna get you", and that was it. Didn't know Christ at the time, but watched a film ; About Schmidt. Something in that film kicked them out. That final scene depicting NDugu's painting of a big person holding hands with a little person. Maybe God used that film to let me know He's that " big person" who I didn't know yet. Had I understood demonic influences and prayer to Christ and prayer in His Name, my life could have been different. But then, God has His reasons for the difficulties we face. Pray to Christ. Be honest with Him. Take Him at His word, and He will help you. I still struggle with intrusive and evil thoughts, but Christ helps me there, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums