UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel that it is inoffensive in the same way that all literal understanding is inoffensive. It's harmless to hypothesize, especially when nothing can be ascertained with certainty; useless as a foundation of sand. It's only when the literal understanding begins to intrude into knowledge of the scripture that things may become offensive to me; not in the harmlessness of the academic musings and hypothesizings, but in such a case that it becomes guilty of robbing people of the spiritual truth contained in all of the scripture.

It's not that I would say "Your literal understanding is certainly wrong" since I cannot be certain of what the narrative may literally mean; but I would say "The literal understanding is not the point, and by thrusting literal understanding into the mind, you are holding people back from understanding the spiritual understanding, which is all that matters."

I would appeal to the Cross, and maintain that we are to put to death the literal understand and be transformed in mind and understanding and be raised new into the fullness of the spiritual understanding. Casting aside the literal which causes a stumbling, and a, falling short, and a, missing the mark, in pursuit of the spiritual. To, purge by fire, as it were, the literal understanding, burning away all literal understanding that the mind of the Spirit may be revealed and known. This is that spirit that gives life.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What's so unoffensive about evolution that it can't be considered anathema maranatha?

Change happens... bacteria learn to eat new things for breakfast... different species of plants and flies may appear from pre-existing plants and flies.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I feel that it is inoffensive in the same way that all literal understanding is inoffensive. It's harmless to hypothesize, especially when nothing can be ascertained with certainty; .

So you're saying that since no element of evolutionism is proven - might as well make stuff up all day long and be happy about it?

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you're saying that since no element of evolutionism is proven - might as well make stuff up all day long and be happy about it?

But, you forget...evolution above species level has NEVER been shown to occur. Only speculated.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But, you forget...evolution above species level has NEVER been shown to occur. Only speculated.
If speciation can occur, producing two species with a common ancestor, then a new genus comprising them can be said to have formed.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would say that I feel that "evolutionists" are practicing the same mental process as the literal interpreter or Genesis. Looking at the data and attempting to construct and interpretation of that data, which is not a certainty, but a tentative approximation. I do not believe either has any real value. Note that I am using the word "evolution" according to the popular definition, and, not the technical definition (as I presume you are, as well)

No one is really "making stuff up" they are interpreting the data (usually according to a bias).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would say that I feel that "evolutionists" are practicing the same mental process as the literal interpreter or Genesis. Looking at the data ...
What data?

I'm a literal Genesis 1 creationist, and I say data can take a hike.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
AV1611VET said:
What's so unoffensive about evolution that it can't be considered anathema maranatha?
Vet, 'anathema' means "forbidden by the Pope and outlawed" which gave rise to "condemned or accursed" which morphed into "distasteful"

'Maranatha' means "My Lord Comes" and is often representative of the Second Coming at the end of time.

So could you explain to me how you are using those two words together and what do you mean in dog years?

• Haha
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What data?

I'm a literal Genesis 1 creationist, and I say data can take a hike.

The information contained in the linguistic structure of the narrative. That linguistic data which you attempt to interpret (usually through the lens of a dogmatic bias), which yields your tentative approximation and subsequent historic model.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Vet, 'anathema' means "forbidden by the Pope and outlawed" which gave rise to "condemned or accursed" which morphed into "distasteful"
"Anathema" means "accursed."

And Paul used it before any pope did.

1 Corinthians 16:22 If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.

Archie the Preacher said:
'Maranatha' means "My Lord Comes" and is often representative of the Second Coming at the end of time.
That is correct.
So could you explain to me how you are using those two words together ...
"Let him be accursed when the LORD returns."
... and what do you mean in dog years?
What?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The information contained in the linguistic structure of the narrative. That linguistic data which you attempt to interpret (usually through the lens of a dogmatic bias), which yields your tentative approximation and subsequent historic model.
So again ... what specific data are you referring to?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So again ... what specific data are you referring to?

Any and all information being interpreted in order to create a hypothetical model of any proposed cosmogeny. The precise data you may use, would have to be proposed by you. I, myself, construct no cosmogenic models, therefore, I have no hypothesis and require no data.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Any and all information being interpreted in order to create a hypothetical model of any proposed cosmogeny. The precise data you may use, would have to be proposed by you. I, myself, construct no cosmogenic models, therefore, I have no hypothesis and require no data.
Let's simplify this:

What existed in the physical universe as mass after Day One of the Creation Week?

I say the only thing in existence at that time was one big round ball of sea water that, for lack of a better term, I call Terra Aqua.

What say you?

And if you're going to allegorize Genesis 1, I vote we just end the conversation right here and now.

(Although I am curious as to what myth starters think the universe consisted of at the end of Day One.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
About what? I'd have a hard time believing you don't know these verses.
I know those verses, but not like you do.

If Paul was the first pope, who was Pope Paul I?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.