Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I am addressing what you stated about the memories of certain people completely vanishing. Do you remember that?
This is the passage I was talking about. I looked it up for you. I have nothing to add to what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Noah's flood. People today are still mocking Noah just like they did in his day when he was building the Ark. Only then the earth was cleansed with water. In our day we will see the earth cleansed with fire. We know from Evolution Science that a remnant always repopulates the earth after a mass extinction. There also is remnant theology but there is no reason to get into that. Some people believe that this extinction actually began around 13,000 years ago.

27 Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the Israelites is like the sand of the sea, only the remnant will be saved. 28 For the Lord will carry out His sentence on the earth with thoroughness and decisiveness.” 29 It is just as Isaiah predicted: “Unless the Lord of Hosts had left us descendants, we would have become like Sodom, we would have resembled Gomorrah.”… (Romans 9)

You must then, disagree with professional geologists, who state there is zero evidence for a biblical flood. Also, you must disagree with the Christian geologists, who first claimed there is no evidence of a biblical flood.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must then, disagree with professional geologists, who state there is zero evidence for a biblical flood.
This is going to get to complicated for you to understand. The only animals and the only crops on Noah's Ark were found in the Garden that God planted in Eden.

13495576_1120680167996533_3692719925846821910_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I believe God only exists out of mankind's necessity for an entity such as God.

People want to live forever, so Christianity gives them eternal life in Heaven.
People want revenge, so Christianity gives them "divine retribution." No one wants to feel victimized while totally helpless.
I agree to a certain extent. It's not hard to trace back certain concepts to their origin...the Jewish people were being oppressed but couldn't believe that God wouldn't reward them for being good. Voila, there must be an afterlife!

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you claimed their memories would be wiped away.
The Bible says: "And You have wiped out all remembrance of them." "memories would be wiped away" is a paraphrase not an exact translation. You asked me about it so I looked it up for you. 26:14 They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.

God has a covenant with Israel and He has a covenant with the Church today. What God did in Israel is a shadow and a type of what He is doing today in world. This is the dispensational teaching that we have in Bible commentaries like Ryrie and Schofield. These are very popular Study Bible widely read and used today. So any dispensational church should be able to answer these questions.

Matthew Henry says: " The amazing ruin of her enemies (v. 14): They are dead, those other lords that have had dominion over us; their power is irrecoverably broken; they are quite cut off and extinguished: and they shall not live, shall never be able to hold up the head any more. Being deceased, they shall not rise, but, like Haman, when they have begun to fall before the seed of the Jews they shall sink like a stone. Because they are sentenced to this final ruin, therefore, in pursuance of that sentence, God himself has visited them in wrath, as a righteous Judge, and has cut off both the men themselves (he has destroyed them) and the remembrance of them: they and their names are buried together in the dust. He has made all their memory to perish; they are either forgotten or made mention of with detestation."

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Complicated? LOL!
This is a Bible College level question. I am not use to people asking questions that are that advanced. I am tempted to throw this one at our 94 year old pastor to see if he can answer it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Noah's flood. People today are still mocking Noah just like they did in his day when he was building the Ark. Only then the earth was cleansed with water. In our day we will see the earth cleansed with fire. We know from Evolution Science that a remnant always repopulates the earth after a mass extinction. There also is remnant theology but there is no reason to get into that. Some people believe that this extinction actually began around 13,000 years ago.

27 Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the Israelites is like the sand of the sea, only the remnant will be saved. 28 For the Lord will carry out His sentence on the earth with thoroughness and decisiveness.” 29 It is just as Isaiah predicted: “Unless the Lord of Hosts had left us descendants, we would have become like Sodom, we would have resembled Gomorrah.”… (Romans 9)

Can you please refer me to the verse which says that people mocked Noah while he was building the ark?

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My question still stands. Why do we still have memories of all these bad people?

Because they have not yet been thrown into the lake of fire. This is supposed to occur sometime during the "endtimes."

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is no problem if you use your imagination for good. It is when you use your imagination for evil that you will have problems. This is the reason for the flood and why God destroyed the world in the days of Noah.

I thought that you claimed the flood was the localized flooding of the Persian Gulf? Wasn't very effective was it? It only destroyed a few settlements in the local area and the 'Garden of Eden' (i.e a farm according to your theory).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is the difference between the law and grace. IF you do not have the Grace of God then you are under the Law of God. I really started to understand this when I watched the Anthony Bourdain program on Iran. The Law is very strict so the people there are very good people. OR look at Switzerland where military training is compulsory. Even though they say the training is very relaxed and more like going to a boy scout camp. Still they are taught a code of conduct and they tend to adhere to it. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. If you do not give people a code to live by then you may end up with a mess like we have here in America. People can not follow their aptitude, it will only get them in trouble. You have to learn some degree of discipline. Even if it is little more then what you get at a boy scout camp. Because you are no longer an individual you are now a part of a group. Under communism if you break the law the Communist government sends you to school. If that does not work then you become an organ donor. They harvest your organs because that now has more value to them then you do. In American we have more grace, we give people the benefit of the doubt and we have more crime as a result.

Your elaborate attempt at "explaining away" why quality of life (in general) goes up as religiosity goes down, falls flat on its face.

In fact, you seem to have gone out of your way to not actually address it directly.

Fact remains... the more secular (and atheistic) a nation is, the higher the general quality of life (in all aspects) becomes. This is just a statistical fact.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
From Wikipedia:

The Khmer Rouge had a policy of state atheism. Pol Pot, the leader of the Khmer Rouge and Prime Minister of Democratic Kampuchea, was an ardent atheist.

Replacing one religion for another (= communism, a state religion), isn't going to solve the problems.

If you think that what is wrong with North Korea, is "too much sceptical thinking", then you are just delusional.

These people aren't "atheist" because of rational sceptical reason. They are "atheist" because of a fundamental tendency for absolute power.

Communists typically do not want their subjects to be theists, because in a communist mindset, the State and the Dictator are to be the absolute authority. It's not that they merely "disbelieve" religions... It's that they don't want any competition in the title of "absolute authority". Which is exactly why communism is oftenly called a "state religion", where the dictator takes on the role of "god" in absolute authority.

You should inform yourself on, for example, the totally crazy things that North Koreans believe (or are required to believe) concerning their leader and his family....

Some examples... The official "belief" in North Korea is that the food aid they get from the international community is not just "aid" to a nation that suffers from hunger... Nope. The belief among the people is that that aid is a gift from the international community because we fear and admire their leader.

Another thing they believe is that one the ancestors of Kim-jung actually created the world.

To hold them up as examples of your "average atheist" is simply ridiculous.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your elaborate attempt at "explaining away" why quality of life (in general) goes up as religiosity goes down, falls flat on its face.

In fact, you seem to have gone out of your way to not actually address it directly.

Fact remains... the more secular (and atheistic) a nation is, the higher the general quality of life (in all aspects) becomes. This is just a statistical fact.
You can not even define quality of life. The point is and will continue to be that we have a choice between law and grace. There is no other option no matter how much you do not like the choice. The entire universe is governed by natural laws that you seem to think you can violate; any attempt to violate the law will only end in disaster unless you take the Grace of God into consideration. If you want to reject the grace of God then all you have is the law of God.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? if I imagine a fantastic being then everything will go the way I want it to go? seriously?
Do you know what natural laws are? Maybe I am using the wrong term because I am referring to the natural laws of science. Just want part of science do you not agree with or do not accept or believe?

"A scientific law is a statement based on repeated experimental observations that describes some aspects of the universe. A scientific law always applies under the same conditions, and implies that there is a causal relationship involving its elements." wiki

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The entire universe is governed by natural laws that you seem to think you can violate; any attempt to violate the law will only end in disaster unless you take the Grace of God into consideration

What 'natural law' (or scientific law) has been violated? How did it end in disaster? What would have been different if the 'Grace of God' had been taken into account?

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0