sonicflood

trying!
Jun 26, 2002
Norwich, UK
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
I think that in the UK society, there’d be a general consensus that we don’t agree with slavery. It’s an outdated institution and the fact that it doesn’t exist anymore is a monument to how we’ve evolved as the human race, right? Maybe not. I’m worried that with our everyday actions to which we don’t give a second thought, we are supporting new regimes of slavery which bind thousands of people all over the world.

Of course, this is not the traditional variety of slavery. We do not actively imprison anyone or force them to work for us, but let me explain. When we buy food, we are supporting and advocating everything that has happened for that food to get from the ground to us. With something like bananas, you’d think that was fairly simple – but you’d be wrong. In his book, “The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade”, David Ransom tells of his visit to Guatemala, to a banana farm owned by one of the world’s big banana corporations. There he witnesses people who are living in a modern kind of slavery. I won’t go into too much detail here because if you’re very interested you can buy the book. But basically, these people are not treated as human beings by the banana corporation. For example, they fumigate the plantations with dangerous chemicals while the workers are there – despite claiming that they don’t. Basically they aren’t granted basic human rights.

So the annoying thing is, that when I buy a banana which was made in that farm in Guatemala, even if I am unknowing about its origin and the injustice that’s gone into making it, I am supporting the oppression of the Guatemalans. A little harsh, you may think, especially if I have no knowledge of the oppression. But whether you like it or not, giving money to the banana corporations allows them to continue with their actions and presents no opposition. It’s almost as if there’s no sitting on the fence – you’re either supporting them or you’re not.

The problem, of course, is that most of the time we don’t know. We pick a product up in the supermarket and have no idea where it’s come from. Good excuse that – but I don’t think it negates our responsibility. It’s easy to be apathetic about such things, because they’re invisible. In our everyday life, we don’t see the effects of our actions. We don’t see the oppression that we support. If we did, we might take quite a different viewpoint. I believe that we have a responsibility to speak out against this kind of injustice in the world, especially if, like me, you’re a Christian.

So I want to explore some of the issues surrounding this, two of which are Free Trade and Fair Trade. To those unfamiliar with economics, they both may sound a little confusing.

Free Trade is the theory that International trade between countries should be allowed to take place without any barriers (called protectionism) such as quotas (limiting the amount that can be imported/exported), tariffs (a fee charged on top of the price), and embargos (a total ban on the trade of a particular item). You get many people who will claim that the world market will function properly only when allowed to work freely, with no protectionism. I have issues with this claim – firstly because I think that it has gained so much credibility because it is in the interests of those in power – large countries and large corporations. Secondly, because those who champion it certainly do not practise it, except when it suits them. For example, corporations will scream ‘free trade’ when trying to import cocoa beans from Ghana, but if Ghana was to make its own chocolate and try to export it to Europe, it would meet a hefty tariff and certainly not free trade. A little hypocritical maybe? Yes. And the USA, who are supporters of free trade, have put a tariff on all imported steel. One of the main reasons for protectionism is to protect (as the name suggests) smaller and more vulnerable industries which may not survive under free trade, and no doubt the USA would cite this as their reason. It’s just a shame that they can’t see the same sense when dealing with more vulnerable countries than themselves.

So my opinion is that ‘free’ trade, as practised by the world’s powerful countries and corporations, is not actually particularly free at all. Fair trade, on the other hand, is not based on short-term commitments or driving the price down as low as possible. It is based on a guaranteed minimum price for producers, which is at a wage level realistic to live on1. This is so that even when the markets fail, or there is a bad crop, leading to poor prices, the producers still receive enough to live on. (It is a system not without its weaknesses; when prices are high in the market, rogue middlemen will try and tempt the fair-traders into short-term unstable agreements). In “The No-Nonsense Guide To Fair Trade”, the author describes his visits to a number of farms and plantations where fair-trade is practised. There he sees a marked difference in the lives of the workers compared to those who work for the mainstream corporations. Their quality of life and job satisfaction (which were non-existent in the other plantations) were much higher and it was clear to see that fair-trade has made a difference to their lives. To me this puts paid to claims that buying fairly-traded goods ‘doesn’t make any difference’. It makes a difference to those who are given a proper chance at life as a result; those we will never see or read about in the news.

Economists will often say that fair trade is not altogether good because it tampers with free trade, which is the optimum for trade. However, as we have seen, free trade isn’t that ‘free’ anyway, so surely it’s better to have non-free trade system that supports the growers rather than the corporations. Besides which I’m not altogether convinced that economic theory always translates very well to real life in the real world (That’s not just an off-the-cuff remark with nothing behind it – I did study Economics for 4 years!).

One of the dilemmas with buying fairly-traded goods in the UK is the issue of quality. A common perception has been that Fairtrade goods (particularly coffee and tea) will be of a lower quality than their mainstream rivals. While I personally am not sure whether this is so true anymore – the Clipper tea we had in my shared house over the last year was fine – I’m also not sure about the moral implications of using the viewpoint as a basis for not buying fairly traded goods. To me, it’s saying “It’s ok that we’re supporting a system of oppression and abuse of power, because the more ethical alternative wouldn’t be nearly as tasty.” It’s a dilemma that I’m sure not all will agree with me on.

It’s not just an issue of foodstuffs – As you probably know, many clothes are produced unethically in ‘sweatshop’ conditions – awful conditions, long hours, ultra-low pay. We don’t hear about this, or the food issues, very much because it’s in the interests of those who are powerful in society (corporations) for us not to hear about it. Ignorance is bliss, they say, but as I said earlier, that’s not good enough. Tearfund have a campaign called ‘Lift the Label’ which aims to fight for ethical trade on clothes.

From a biblical perspective, it is clear that God regards justice in society as a very important thing. Take these two passages:

Isaiah 58:6 I'll tell you what it really means to worship the LORD. Remove the chains of prisoners who are chained unjustly. Free those who are abused!

Isaiah 61:1,8 The LORD has chosen and sent me to tell the oppressed the good news, to heal the brokenhearted, and to announce freedom for prisoners and captives…I, the LORD, love justice! But I hate robbery and injustice.

I suggest that, when we translate those verses into what they mean for us in 2004, we have a responsibility as Christians to be actively fighting the causes of those who have no voice. There’s a lot to be said for doing this in our own local contexts – and also, as I hope I have shown, we can do this in our everyday actions, in what we buy, eat, and wear.

Personally, I find it very difficult. I’d love to throw myself into fighting for justice all the time but it always seems to just escape my levels of effort. The other night BBC4 was on, and there was a programme about this and other issues in Nicaragua, but something more interesting came up. I suspect that is the way for many of us – we sympathise with these issues but doing something about them would take more effort than we are willing to muster up. Perhaps, with groups of friends, we could keep each other accountable to how ethical we’re being in our everyday lives. Or maybe, things will stay as they are – because we can’t see the damage we do in the way we live our lives, it’s unlikely to trouble us too much. But this huge section of the world’s population can’t go on dying quietly forever.

Weblinks: www.fairtrade.org.uk www.tearfund.org www.ethicalconsumer.org http://thegoodshoppingguide.co.uk/

Reading: “The No-Nonsense Guide To Fair Trade”, David Ransom

“Globalization and its Discontents”, Joseph E. Stiglitz

and many others!

1 A typical Nike worker in El Salvador earns 60 cents an hour, which is around half of the the amount they would need to be living outside of starvation. Despite this, Nike claim that the wage is sufficient. Even if the wage was raised to the realistic level, the labour would come to less than 0.5% of the price of the product. (Kernaghan, taken from Roddick : “Taking It Personally”, p55)

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
You've made some excellent points, sonicflood. You've obviously done your homework. :thumbsup:

Will you be joining us in Brighton on 26th? You can find out here if there are any coaches going from your town http://www.tjm.org.uk/brighton/noticeboard.shtml. Maybe other people from your church will join you.

Did you know that Traidcraft sell fairly traded footballs? I haven't seen anywhere selling fairly traded trainers, though. There are fairly traded clothes available and, I think, even jeans.

Karin

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
So the annoying thing is, that when I buy a banana which was made in that farm in Guatemala, even if I am unknowing about its origin and the injustice that’s gone into making it, I am supporting the oppression of the Guatemalans.
Yes, the same point can be made about trade with communist China. Only there are differences. In Guatemala one may still start a free enterprise business for trade or may opt out of world trade altogether and grow only enough for ones family as a subsistance farmer and trade with locals. In China our brothers and sisters in Christ are forced into slave factories and worked to death because of our Lord. Perhaps we should put more sanctions against trade with China.

In like manner what are we to do with trade with oil producing nations that import so-called household servants from the Phillipines and India and abuse them for sex since they are non-Moslem? Should England invade or ban trade with the oil producers from those nations? Sometimes you have to work with evil people for the sake of greater good, as in the case of the war on terror.

In all a pretty good article you wrote. Thanks for sharing. So we boycott 3rd world bananas and buy from the USA in Hawaii?

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
I'm afraid it's never that simple, Sharp. Poor people rarely own land. Moreover, you can't feed your family simply on bananas. You need to trade your surplus crops to get money to buy the things you can't grow, and pay for medicine, and send your kids to school so they have a chance to live other than by a hand to mouth existence. However, often they find their surplus crop is worthless thanks to "dumping" of cheap goods by Westerners.

Moreover, as most poor people don't own land they often work on farms and plantations growing crops for export. They don't get paid enough to eat properly let alone pay for medical bills and school fees. Therefore children start working very young to earn a few pennies so the family can have a handful of vegetables to share. The price of local food is often expensive because it is in short supply because most of the land is being grown to feed fat foreigners.

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Treasure the Questions said:
I'm afraid it's never that simple, Sharp. Poor people rarely own land. Moreover, you can't feed your family simply on bananas. You need to trade your surplus crops to get money to buy the things you can't grow, and pay for medicine, and send your kids to school so they have a chance to live other than by a hand to mouth existence. However, often they find their surplus crop is worthless thanks to "dumping" of cheap goods by Westerners.

Moreover, as most poor people don't own land they often work on farms and plantations growing crops for export. They don't get paid enough to eat properly let alone pay for medical bills and school fees. Therefore children start working very young to earn a few pennies so the family can have a handful of vegetables to share. The price of local food is often expensive because it is in short supply because most of the land is being grown to feed fat foreigners.
Perhaps you missed my post. I never suggested they grow only bananas. I said let them raise a vairety of crops to support their families independently of the system. If they don't own their land, we can buy land for them. If they need schools, we can send teachers and start our own, or they can homeschool or create their own. If they need expensive local food, we can form coops and let them trade. If the government won't allow them enough human rights to stay alive then the British / European gov'ts can use diplomacy while they starve to death. If dipomacy fails, then we can fund guerilla war and create a democracy. Trouble is, we will have to ensure that the new gov't does right by the people. Under Bill Clinton the USA invaded Haiti to depose a dictator and then left the nation without infrastructure, and new dictators took over. Any long term ideas?

Some problems don't have solutions, but we can ameliorate the extent of the problem. Ever hear of the year of jubilee in the Old Testament? It assured every generation that they or their children would have a new, debt-free fresh start and land.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Sharp, you are pessimistic. There are no easy answers, but that doesn't mean Christians who realise Christ's call to bring an end to oppression and injustice and others who are willing to work with them should sit back and do nothing.

There was the Jubilee Debt Campaign. I believe it was international. Indeed here is an American website http://www.jubileeusa.org/

According to the Christian Aid website these are some of the results:
2001 Countries like Uganda, Bolivia, Mozambique and Tanzania begin to receive some of the benefits of debt cancellation - but much more is needed to make a real impact on poverty.

Due to our campaigning ...
• Children like this little girl in Uganda (left) are starting to feel the benefits of debt cancellation.
• 24 million people from over 150 countries have signed the petition calling for the cancellation of unpayable poor country debt. It enters the Guinness Book of Records as the largest-ever international petition.
• Hundreds of thousands of people gathered peacefully on the streets of Birmingham, London and Cologne to surround the annual summits of world leaders.
• The UK Treasury and Number 10 Downing Street have received over half a million postcards, letters and emails calling for debt cancellation.
• The debt lapel chain was worn worldwide as the international symbol of the Jubilee 2000 campaign.
• The Jubilee 2000 movement became a global movement for change and forced debt on to the agenda of world leaders.

The result...
• $100 billion of debt cancellation has been agreed
• An estimated $18 billion has been delivered to date

Still to achieve ...
• Two-thirds of poor country debt remains to be cancelled
The Trade Justice Movement is about putting pressure on governments and multinational companies to make trade more just for the poorest countries.
Perhaps you can join in something that is happening in your own country http://www.tradejusticeusa.org/

It's about recognising that God cares deeply about oppression and injustice.

It's about being Christ's hands and feet doing what we can to bring good news to the poor etc.

It's about remembering we have a big God who will bless our small efforts, and that the mighty oceans are made up of small drops of water.

Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream!

Upvote 0