• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My therapist thinks I don't have BPD

J0SHUA

Aug 30, 2013
✟9,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't have an official diagnosis but have suspected it for a while. My doctors usually tell me that diagnoses are meaningless so I've only been diagnosed for a few things in the past.

I think I have BPD because I experience many of the symptoms. Black-and-white thinking, I interpret insults or signs of rejection to mean that I'm permanently an awful person that everyone will always hate, when feeling really insecure or threatened I sometimes get this disturbing self-hate mood where I feel helpless to fix my bad insecurities/personality flaws and there's nothing I can do to make myself feel better so I end up in a helpless rage where I feel utterly tormented by self-hatred. Thankfully all of this has improved through several things I've been doing.

My therapist thinks I don't have it because my trauma isn't from childhood, I never displayed these symptoms as a child, I get along with my family (she said I'd have bad conflicts with everyone in my family which isn't the case with me), I have never been violent, I don't regularly drink or self-harm, only have a couple times during one of the awful moods/uncontrollable emotional swings, and there are other BPD behaviors I've never shown.

What could this be? Extremely bad self-esteem and self-worth issues? I hopefully will be out of this soon as I've already improved through changing thinking patterns, mindfulness, and some other techniques. I also will be seeing a Trauma Release Exercise practitioner soon which will supposedly get rid of PTSD, which may get rid of this issue if I have BPD attached to PTSD as I originally suspected. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it sound like I have BPD? Whether or not I have it, I feel like self-love is the answer, but I'm not sure how to attain that. That is what my research will now consist of and if anyone has tips on that I'd like to hear it.

Chococat

I love Jesus and kittycats
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟10,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I am not a therapist I can't say whether you have BPD or not. If your therapist doesn't think you have it than you probably don't. If it makes you feel better you can always get a 2nd opinion from another therapist of mental health worker. It could be that you have some of the traits but not the full blown disorder. Btw I'm glad to hear your mental health is improving:thumbsup::clap::hug::amen:

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't have an official diagnosis but have suspected it for a while. My doctors usually tell me that diagnoses are meaningless so I've only been diagnosed for a few things in the past.

I think I have BPD because I experience many of the symptoms. Black-and-white thinking, I interpret insults or signs of rejection to mean that I'm permanently an awful person that everyone will always hate, when feeling really insecure or threatened I sometimes get this disturbing self-hate mood where I feel helpless to fix my bad insecurities/personality flaws and there's nothing I can do to make myself feel better so I end up in a helpless rage where I feel utterly tormented by self-hatred. Thankfully all of this has improved through several things I've been doing.

My therapist thinks I don't have it because my trauma isn't from childhood, I never displayed these symptoms as a child, I get along with my family (she said I'd have bad conflicts with everyone in my family which isn't the case with me), I have never been violent, I don't regularly drink or self-harm, only have a couple times during one of the awful moods/uncontrollable emotional swings, and there are other BPD behaviors I've never shown.

What could this be? Extremely bad self-esteem and self-worth issues? I hopefully will be out of this soon as I've already improved through changing thinking patterns, mindfulness, and some other techniques. I also will be seeing a Trauma Release Exercise practitioner soon which will supposedly get rid of PTSD, which may get rid of this issue if I have BPD attached to PTSD as I originally suspected. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it sound like I have BPD? Whether or not I have it, I feel like self-love is the answer, but I'm not sure how to attain that. That is what my research will now consist of and if anyone has tips on that I'd like to hear it.

It may be best to seek another opinion.

Keep in mind, many therapists are not well trained in diagnosing personality disorders and it is important, to seek one out with specific experience in this area.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
it may help at least to try to find someone with experience with nutritional deficiencies. (this used to be much easier to find, and even regular doctors used to be trained; now, hopefully, more are becoming so, but still not as common as before synthetics became popular).
it's just a good kind of 'second opinion' as most people recommend when it's important.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟10,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can have traits of the disorder without it being full-blown.

Self acceptance is important whether you have it or not. The mindfulness exercises help more than just BPDs. That you're actively seeking treatment is great - it means that you are likely to get it under control. Good luck - I know it's not easy.

Upvote 0

alascott

Jul 8, 2012
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hey there - I actually had the exact same thing happen, but I SWEAR I have nearly all the symptoms - just not "full blown." My therapist said that, in fact, as the basis for me *not* having the diagnosis. She said "I have BPD patients and you don't have the problems they do...so therefore..." I get caught off guard because I'll go for a while being able to *manage* my symptoms, but then get "surprised" by a horrible episode of swiftly changing ideas, thoughts, paranoia, etc. Then usually - at some point, I can shift out of it - but really only if I get AWAY from people. Anywho - didn't mean to get into *my* own deal - but I just wanted you to know that you weren't alone. BLESSINGS to you!

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey there - I actually had the exact same thing happen, but I SWEAR I have nearly all the symptoms - just not "full blown." My therapist said that, in fact, as the basis for me *not* having the diagnosis. She said "I have BPD patients and you don't have the problems they do...so therefore..." I get caught off guard because I'll go for a while being able to *manage* my symptoms, but then get "surprised" by a horrible episode of swiftly changing ideas, thoughts, paranoia, etc. Then usually - at some point, I can shift out of it - but really only if I get AWAY from people. Anywho - didn't mean to get into *my* own deal - but I just wanted you to know that you weren't alone. BLESSINGS to you!

BPD comes in many shapes and sizes.

As I have mentioned, it is important to see a therapist who has experience and is trained to properly diagnose BPD, many are not.

Some with BPD are what is called; high functioning and in many situations, can appear quite normal, but the wheels fall off in certain situations, especially with those the person with BPD are close to emotionally.

Upvote 0