• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My family

nerfherder

May 5, 2016
Indiana
✟7,847.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I am the proud step father of two wonderful adult children with autism. I have been with them since they were toddlers and their father is not in their life so I have always been dad to them and few things could make me happier. They are vibrant, happy, wonderful people who simply cope with the world in a way that is different than you or I.
In a way having 2 siblings of different sex with autism has been good because it's rare enough (although not really that rare) to get a little more help than usual because doctors are interested in them instead of just being another patient.
On the other hand it has been an incredible challenge at times. I do believe God brought my wife and I together partly because we were meant to be parents to all of our children but especially to the middle two.
The fact that our youngest son is the most helpful guy in the world when it comes to helping to take care of his brother and sister only confirms that idea for me. I am thankful for what we have been given.

Just wanted to tell my story. Lots more of fun, interesting, scary, humiliating stories regarding them to tell but we can save that for another time. :)

Dec 8, 2011
✟121,016.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi nerfherder,

It was lovely to read your very positive comment on autism in your family. I hope we'll be hearing more from you soon!

I have 3 adult children on the autistic spectrum, two with Asperger syndrome and with autism.

Blessings,

Gillian

Upvote 0