Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You walk into a room with a table and a box sitting on top of the table. The box is 1 cubic foot in size and shape, and has no bottom.

I lift the box straight up to show you there is nothing on the table, then I put the box back down.

When I lift the box up a second time, there sits an apple on the table.

Question: Assuming this was an actual act of ex nihilo creation, what would be different than if I would have used sleight-of-hand to produce the apple?

I'm looking for a specific scientific answer.

Note: This answer is extremely easy; don't try to make it harder than it actually is.

The reason for this challenge, is that I'm tired of people saying God used "magic" to create this world. I want to show a clear-cut, easy, scientific difference between creatio ex magic and creatio ex nihilo.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Agh, not again :p

Answer: A non-zero change in energy of the system? Sleight of hand would involve a pre-existant apple.

*prepares for inevitable barrage of "My _______ Challenges"*

Wow --- the first post nailed it --- good job!

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wow --- the first post nailed it --- good job!

Well it was fairly similar to your first one?

IIRC didn't that involve a before and after energy measurement of the entire universe to verify the apple's creation?

Maybe I'm getting confused. But a smaller system like this one works a lot better, I think. Maybe this could be The Streamlined Apple Challenge (TM)?

Upvote 0

LeSabot

Apr 2, 2007
Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agh, not again :p

Answer: A non-zero change in energy of the system? Sleight of hand would involve a pre-existant apple.

*prepares for inevitable barrage of "My _______ Challenges"*

This denies the possibility of a particularly unusual manifestation of a quantum event which takes the form of an apple. The Second Law of Thermodynamics is also only applicable to statistical averages, so given a rather monumental event the apple being generated could also not increase the entropy of the Universe and simply come about as a manifestation of some form of free energy (zero-point energy or such).

I guess it mostly comes down to the ability for something to actually occur and be tested. I can propose theory all day long, but what matters in the end is the ability for those theories to be validated by experiment.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Second Law of Thermodynamics is also only applicable to statistical averages, so given a rather monumental event the apple being generated could also not increase the entropy of the Universe and simply come about as a manifestation of some form of free energy (zero-point energy or such).

However, that is not, by definition, creatio ex nihilo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess that depends on your definition of "nothing". Feel free to produce a rigorous definition of that.

Devoid of space, time, and matter; and having no dimensions, existence, being, or locality.

Upvote 0

LeSabot

Apr 2, 2007
Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Devoid of space, time, and matter; and having no dimensions, existence, being, or locality.

I would contend that that in no way defies my statement concerning a amazingly unusual quantum event creating the manifestation of said apple from available energy sources. Also, energy is only mathematically defined, so there is no way of ruling out particular events which are a result of numerical manipulations.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would contend that that in no way defies my statement concerning a amazingly unusual quantum event creating the manifestation of said apple from available energy sources. Also, energy is only mathematically defined, so there is no way of ruling out particular events which are a result of numerical manipulations.

Oopsie!

No fair using available energy, numbers, or mathematics.

God has demonstrated superiority and transcendence over all three of those.

Upvote 0
T

Tenka

AV1611 said:
The reason for this challenge, is that I'm tired of people saying God used "magic" to create this world. I want to show a clear-cut, easy, scientific difference between creatio ex magic and creatio ex nihilo.
But a valid definition of magic is "[SIZE=-1]any art that invokes supernatural powers" Which seems to fit the bill, when we say God used magic we aren't refering to a dexterous trick as in your example.
Magic stays, I see no reason to dignify your magic dependent answers because you use fancy italic latin.
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But a valid definition of magic is "[SIZE=-1]any art that invokes supernatural powers" Which seems to fit the bill, when we say God used magic we aren't refering to a dexterous trick as in your example.
Magic stays, I see no reason to dignify your magic dependent answers because you use fancy italic latin.
[/SIZE]

My "fancy italic latin" is very specific --- very specific.

Unlike your not-so-fancy term "magic," which is much too general a term to be using to describe what took place when this universe was created.

Especially since one of the biggest differences in Creation and Big Bang is that, in Creation, the amount of mass/energy started out at zero, and then was increased to its current level over a period of six days; whereas in the Big Bang paradigm, the amount of mass/energy was constant.

In addition, "magic" leaves room for the also-erroneous creatio ex materia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
My "fancy italic latin" is very specific --- very specific.

Unlike your not-so-fancy term "magic," which is much too general a term to be using to describe what took place when this universe was created.

Especially since one of the biggest differences in Creation and Big Bang is that, in Creation, the amount of mass/energy started out at zero, and then was increased to its current level over a period of six days; whereas in the Big Bang paradigm, the amount of mass/energy was constant.

In addition, "magic" leaves room for the also-erroneous creatio ex materia.
sorry, but magic is a perfect term for the ad hoc rationalizing creationists do.
since pretty much its a catch-all term for all the creationism nonsense that explains nothing.
i suppose its a lot like saying "goddidit"

of course the biggest difference between creation and the big bang, is the fact that the big bang has been shown to have happened, and creation by god/s hasn't:thumbsup:

Upvote 0