Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Because I know how false doctrine spreads, I'm uncomfortable with this language. Mormons feel a burning in their bossom to prove their way is true. Society does what feels right. I think the church has used the word, "feeling" or "experience" to mean what society uses, and you wrote, to "pump them up" which then they raise their hands in church.

Truth is not a feeling. The Holy Spirit moves in truth, not feelings. If the music speaks clear truth and your raising hands, then there isn't a problem.

You mean you can not feel God? I would pray if that is the case. I feel truth my mind has no way to know but my Heart where Jesus lives knows the Truth. Its even in the Bible God said the gentiles knew right from wrong because there heart told them. In other words they could feel it. Love is an emotion and yet more but also, how do you know Love if the person can not feel it? Does the mind say that is Love, the mind does not know, but the heart is what feels, the mind is logic and reason, love is neither. Those people who follow the road to dark places are doing what's in the heart it does not mean don't trust your heart but that they had wicked hearts. If God lives in my heart why can I not trust it? The Bible in fact tells us to follow our heart, for there hearts were soften or harden, for God knew there heart, For the words a man speaks reflects what is in His heart" which is the tree and the words the fruit of that tree. Some people have wicked Hearts, does not mean the person who has God living inside them can not trust God in their hearts.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Because I know how false doctrine spreads, I'm uncomfortable with this language. Mormons feel a burning in their bossom to prove their way is true. Society does what feels right. I think the church has used the word, "feeling" or "experience" to mean what society uses, and you wrote, to "pump them up" which then they raise their hands in church.

Truth is not a feeling. The Holy Spirit moves in truth, not feelings. If the music speaks clear truth and your raising hands, then there isn't a problem.
and to add to the first post about this

Psalms 73 My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
he is mine forever.

Seems God is speaking of what we feel do we not say it came from the heart to express emotion. God lives in my Heart you better believe I trust what i feel. I will pray for you

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
;) ok 98 i do believe you caught me being hypocrite. :p and your right.

Joel is a false prophet, before he went into ministry he was motivational speaker and was quoted as saying if you want to get rich go into ministry and he is rich, but what good did it do him he had a very short where he had everything he want and forever he pay for it and suffer. I remember that when I see people getting rich off God.

Did you listen to the songs I posted? Just listen to them and tell me you do not feel God in them?

I'll check them out. At work right now. I only play traditional hymns at work ;)

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
WOw what job you have they allow that? That is a rare thing today most places are worried about offending people.

I work for the government...freedom of religion and all ;) Im allowed to praise God in the workplace. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Mark 7:6...I think the bottom-line intentions need to be assessed.
The same could be said about any Christian music made over the past few hundred years. Maybe the words are not set to a style of music you approve of.
From the Mercy Me video
No matter the bumps. No matter the bruises. No matter the scars. Still the truth is the cross has made you flawless.
This is a very powerful message for those who deeply hurt. You know the kind of people Jesus associated with. The imagery in the video itself presented of powerful message.
From the Phil Wickham video
This is amazing grace. This is unfailing love. That You would take my place. That You would bear my cross.
You lay down Your life. That I would be set free. Jesus, I sing for all that You've done for me.

A praise song to Christ.
I guess it really does not matter. No matter if the intent is to share the good news people will pick and choose bible verses to tear apart and disapprove of anything that does not agree with their particular brand of Christianity. Kind of like the Pharisees of Christ's time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluelion
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on what type of music you listen to; me being very old fashioned listens to country, classic, etc.
Some music too can be pretty awful and have horrid lyrics.
On the one hand we can read of how the Taliban executed a woman who was found singing. On the other hand there are genres of music which should supposedly be banned because some Christians dislike it. (Personally I find the mindset which makes some people's subjective tastes supposedly objective to others rather strange indeed.)

Some classical music is associated with musicians wearing tuxedos and off the shoulder gowns. Other music is associated with musicians in denim, leather tops and with maybe piercings. Such matters of taste are subjective. The lyrics do have some importance, though.

Reactions: Bluelion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
and to add to the first post about this

Psalms 73 My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
he is mine forever.

Seems God is speaking of what we feel do we not say it came from the heart to express emotion. God lives in my Heart you better believe I trust what i feel. I will pray for you

I disagree. The heart sounds more like the conscious of a person.

The NLT is a loose translation and it changes everything away from what word for word translations say. Here is every verse from Psa 73(ESV). And the conscious is the best use of the heart.

Psalms 73:1
Truly God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.

Psalms 73:7
Their eyes swell out through fatness;
their hearts overflow with follies.

Psalms 73:13
All in vain have I kept my heart clean
and washed my hands in innocence.

Psalms 73:21
When my soul was embittered,
when I was pricked in heart,

Psalms 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
On the one hand we can read of how the Taliban executed a woman who was found singing. On the other hand there are genres of music which should supposedly be banned because some Christians dislike it. (Personally I find the mindset which makes some people's subjective tastes supposedly objective to others rather strange indeed.)

Some classical music is associated with musicians wearing tuxedos and off the shoulder gowns. Other music is associated with musicians in denim, leather tops and with maybe piercings. Such matters of taste are subjective. The lyrics do have some importance, though.
I enjoy all kinds of music. I often listen to classic rock, blues, classical occasionally but never jazz. The music (the beat, tempo, style and melody) has an effect on us without the lyrics. It soothes or stirs. It can make you want to move with it or make you want to just sit and listen. Some of Bach's classical music makes me bow to God in my heart in worship just from the music. Music moves the soul. It can move it to dance and revel in pleasure or it can make you bow your heart to God in reverence and worship. The rock or pop style of music never makes me want to bow my heart to God in worship.

Upvote 0