Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I insist that those words are quite offensive. Those songs are not pseudo-spiritual: they really are spiritual.
Ok. Instead of reply to the entirety, I will admit there are some decent modern worship songs. I didn't go through them all, so I will say it like this: Most of the songs you named, not by Hillsong, were not what I would call good church songs.

But I'll concede my position since I don't have time to go song by song and demonstrate my issues or give props to the songs who actually do the gospel justice.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But... How can you sing those psalms without the melody? Furthermore, they were originally written in Hebrew, not in English, so you cannot just simply add a melody to it, because the metric would not fit and there would be no rhymes; you would have to make a number of adaptations.
The psalters as used by strict Presbyterian groups indeed make some adaptations to deal with these problems. That said, that's really no more of a problem than translating them into English in the first place.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ok. Instead of reply to the entirety, I will admit there are some decent modern worship songs. I didn't go through them all, so I will say it like this: Most of the songs you named, not by Hillsong, were not what I would call good church songs.

But I'll concede my position since I don't have time to go song by song and demonstrate my issues or give props to the songs who actually do the gospel justice.

OK. Let us agree that there are good and bad modern songs. I just think that generalising them as you did is wrong.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The psalters as used by strict Presbyterian groups indeed make some adaptations to deal with these problems. That said, that's really no more of a problem than translating them into English in the first place.

OK. So, they really do have to make changes. What about the melody? Do they just invent one?

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
OK. Let us agree that there are good and bad modern songs. I just think that generalising them as you did is wrong.
There are good and bad hymns too. Just because their old doesn't mean they're filled with sound doctrine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering what music is like in your church and what hymns/songs are most popular. What styles and is there anything your church wouldn't consider (even if it's used by other christian churches).

What kind of musical instruments are played - organs, piano, keyboard, drums, guitars, harps, sax or other instruments? Can anyone play or is there some kind of selection?

Does your church have good acoustics or does it have a complicated sound system needing amplifiers etc?

And lastly do you have words up on screens or in hymnbooks or you just memorize them?

Varies. Our music ministry leaders try not to overly focus on one particular song or hymn.

Piano, Guitars, Drums, Bass, Sax, Violin, wide variety of instruments. If they are a member of the church they can play, and if the music is discussed prior to with the Worship leader.

Our church meets in a gym, so a sound system is needed. But we try to not let the music overpower the worship.

Both. What people use is up to their personal preference.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that before sound systems people still worshipped and could hear. If using it as a crutch its not good IMHO. Because it can be distorting.
I agree about not needing loud sound systems. True worship is in spirit and in truth (John 4), irrespective of instruments and sound systems.

Of course, if you like Christian hard rock, a loud sound system is all part of the style, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yup. There's no way of knowing what the original melody was.

OK. But that is not quite singing psalms any more; it is really just singing a new song with lyrics transcribed as closely as possible from the biblical psalms.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
OK. But that is not quite singing psalms any more; it is really just singing a new song with lyrics transcribed as closely as possible from the biblical psalms.
I think your missing the point. It's Scripture. Until further notice, hymns or modern worship songs are opinion pieces that don't have to do anything with Scripture and people will raise their hands. One church did what they called the "Holy Ghost Hokey Pokey" and somehow people were claimed to be healed. They literally sung the Hokey Pokey. That's heretical in my book. My previous church sang a one word song, "Jesus". That means nothing. They had to get their mysticism on.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, wouldnt people still sing the psalms in synagogues in the original hebrew? Then you can listen to the rythyms even if you dont know the language.

I once tried to visit a synagogue with a friend but it was not open for visitors, plus you had to pay to visit, although they said it was a $10 donation...but Me and my friend thought that was quite expensive just to go in and look around.

Upvote 0