Music for a mission trip video?

Black Mamba

Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
✟138.00
Faith
Christian
So I'm pretty much in charge of the mission trip video and I need some suggestions for songs. The video is going to be three songs long and I'm running out of ideas. I did it last year and the format is usually as follows.

-1st song: Fairly easygoing. Shots of the youth and of the buses and such.
-2nd song: Less light. Shots of youth working with kids in Mexico. Shots of the youth doing mission work.
-3rd song: Tearjerker. Shots of the youth with the Mexican children. Shots of the mexican children. Shots of the youth crying. You get the picture.

So here's some ideas for songs so far. And remember, they don't have to be Christian. Last year I used a song from Moulin Rouge (Your Song instrumental from Moulin Rouge 2 album) and one by Moby (My Weakness) and nobody cared. Here's some I've come up with so far.

-Full of Grace by Sarah McLachlan (That one might be risky to use. It'd be the third song of course)
-Angela Smiled by W.G. Snuffy Walden (That one would be the first one if used)
-Hands and Feet by Audio Adrenaline. I used it last year yes but it's just the classic mission trip song. It would be the 2nd song.
-Main Titles by Marc Shaiman from The American President. It might not fit though.

Any other suggestions are absolutely welcome and pretty much the point of this thread so yes GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS...please.

call-me-dan

stumbling-toward-light
Feb 19, 2004
West Palm Florida
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
use music that is unique to the culture, and match that with shots the evoke curiosity in their different setting (iee, fast paced mexican stuff)

and then fade in the hands and feet with pics from their worksite, them working only

im sure you can find an appropriate emotional song, perhaps one that you guys listented to while on the trip.

We have made 3 videos from trip to the Dominican Republic and all 3 turned out great, but the one that we qeued the music to the pictures
(ie, fast paced music for fun pics, slow music for emotional ones, and marenge(dominican dance music) for cultural shots),
put in poetry and reading from the journals of people who went on the trip, that was the best one. Have your students talking in the background, wiht the music, and you can make this video up to 20 min long while still keeping the audiences attention.

good luck, feel it out and it will turn out great

†
pura vida
dan

Upvote 0

smile

Change? Good. This? Bad.
Jul 11, 2003
See that box on the curb? Not too shabby, eh?
✟5,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with call-dan-dan, use music from the culture.

But a really good missions song is "Shine for You" By Hillsong. It would be good for either the first or second song. It's on the More Then Life cd by Hillsong.

Kemper

Upvote 0

happypeppie

Jalapeno
May 11, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,117.00
Faith
Christian
One good upbeat song is "Wonder Why" by Avalon. It talks about living your life as a Christian example. Here are the lyrics:

Wonder Why
Avalon

Why, why tell me do you wonder why
Some can look so hard and miss the truth, ya
Some would stumble over it a hundred times
And never ever see the living proof
But there's a kind of love this world can never deny
Let everybody see it in our lives

The world will wonder why
if you and I will shine His light
And hearts discover life
When we decide to let ours go
We've got to give it up
And live the love that opened our eyes
Live your life the world will wonder why

Why, why someone try and tell me why
We would want it any other way
A heart can change before our very eyes
Well, I've seen the difference that love can make
Well, there's a kind of love this world can never explain
It's time to live the Gospel unashamed

And hearts discover life
We've got to give it up

If we were living with a passion
What would be their reaction?
I know a single heart can change the world
If we were loving with a strong love
Then their eyes would see
And the world might believe

And hearts discover life
We've got to give it up

Will we shine his light
Live free, live the life
Open up our eyes

Some day they'll wonder why
And we can tell them, tell them
That Jesus lives in my life, ya
We've got to live the life
Let it go and live
Tell them that He is the only way
The only truth and light

Upvote 0

ElElohe

A humble Resistentialist
Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟8,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you can't find something you like from the culture (otherwise a great idea, but pick a native Christian song. Not an American song sung in the native language.) I think a very great and theologically grounded song is the Newsboys recent He Reigns.

Upvote 0

Ps28:7

I should probably put something cool here...
Mar 16, 2004
South Carolina
✟483.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
in our missions video we used(i'm not good at remembering names and stuff but i will try my best) if you say go, we will go, if you say wait, we will wait, if you say step out on the water and they say it can't be done, we'll fix our eyes on you and we will run...(don't know who it's by, really pretty could be used as maybe the 3rd song)
another would be by hillsong?-we speak to nations
if i could remember the names and stuff i could probably be of much more help but i hope this gave you a little bit of help at least
God bless you and let us know which ones you choose
~hot4christ~

Upvote 0