• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Multiple Sclerosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Multiple sclerosis is a disease of the central nervous system. If you think of the nervous system like electrical wires, the disease destroys the insulation around the wires. This insulation is necessary for proper transmition of impulses through the nerves. If there are sections missing or exposed wire, it is like talking through a telephone with the wires frayed. You tend to get a lot of static and weak signals.
Sclerosis is another word for scarring or patches. Multiple Sclerosis is like a garden hose that has had a lot of holes repaired with duct tape. The repairs only partially work and the hose still leaks everywhere, you would rather have a new one, but you are stuck with the ratty old leaky one. In this case, the nerves have multiple scars or patches on them.
The cause is unknown, but it is mediated by the immune system. The person's immune system decides to attack the body's nerves. Why does it do this? One theory is that a virus caused a cross reaction. The immune system attacked and killed the viral infection, but the same cells also attacked the nerves.
An interesting fact is that MS is most common in the colder climates. People that live in Canada are more likely to have MS than people that live in Florida, and it is almost unheard of near the Equator.

Current treatments include drugs that alter or suppress the immune system, so that the body's nerves have a chance to heal.

Upvote 0

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Best place to start is with the MS society who can also suggest lots of stuff, give you names of support groups in your general area, and discuss the types of MS and the challenges each group of people face with that type. There are also many different drugs. I hear that early treatment is best because it slows down myelin sheath damage. I think that avoidance of heat is also sort of crucial. If you get to overheated it isn't good so you can exercise but must do so carefully and monitor yourself. There are a few good Christian based book for this too, biographical sort of stuff that is uplifting. I got one for my mom a few years after she was diagnosed. But can't recall the name. She had the chronic progressive form of MS and basically had a passive personality and just withdrew. I'd say that if you feel up to getting around and doing all sorts of stuff, don't stop because she had all sorts of health problems that cropped up just because she became so sedentary.

Upvote 0

GrandmaW4boys

Jun 25, 2007
✟15,213.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

When I was first diagnosed I wanted to find out as much as I could about MS. Which I think is a very good idea. One of the first places I went to was my local Library. They had books on the subject and could even request books from other Librarys. Looking at the computer in the library for MS books was a good way to start or even easier just ask the librarian : ) The best part is it's free : )

Please know that you are exactly the same person you were before the Diagnosis. There are so many ways to help with problems or pain in the age we are living in. you're going to be fine.

God Bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.