• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Multiple herniated disks in lower back.

angelsfire84

Returner
Jan 12, 2009
Miami, Florida
✟8,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've had them since I was in my early 20's but as I get older, they get worse and the pain can sometimes be so overwhelming that I can start to cry or get very angry. :( Not much I can do about them, says my doctors, except some physical therapy which rarely helps.

The best thing I can do is keep a steady healthy weight and do a lot of stretches and exercises that are not too high-intensity so as not to end up inflamming my disks. Anti-inflammatory pills are the only things that work to help ease the pain slightly, but I dont want to keep taking pill after pill. Some days I just have to lay in bed in pain.

Could use prayer for this and maybe some advice on a good way to deal with Chronic pain so it doesn't effect my attitude and my Spiritual life so much. Some days I just want to give up because of the pain.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: BeStill&Know

angelsfire84

Returner
Jan 12, 2009
Miami, Florida
✟8,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have the same problem. I recently bought an inversion table, which uses gravity to decompress the disks and it really does help quite a lot.

I am afraid to attempt that because my mother did so and hers got worse. Now she can barely walk. The technician/physician who did the process said it was not guaranteed and he takes no responsibility over it, so my mother has no way to compensate for that. It seems to be very dangerous.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry to hear that, it has helped me a great deal but then again I do it here at home and only at a slight angle. I was going to a chiropracter who had a similar device though it stretched you out rather than using gravity and I did not try it because it looked like I was going to be drawn and quartered lol.

Something else I have found helpful is DDP Yoga. This video inspired me to do so -

Upvote 0

angelsfire84

Returner
Jan 12, 2009
Miami, Florida
✟8,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry to hear that, it has helped me a great deal but then again I do it here at home and only at a slight angle. I was going to a chiropracter who had a similar device though it stretched you out rather than using gravity and I did not try it because it looked like I was going to be drawn and quartered lol.

Something else I have found helpful is DDP Yoga. This video inspired me to do so -

Thank you for that. I will check it out. :)

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are so many of us here on the forums with this problem, and seems like more every day. Sometimes the pain can be so overwhelming, I, just like you said, cry or get angry or both. I am getting pain injections in my back now; they last about 3-4 months with less pain but they don't get rid of all of it. Sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to be pain free. Can't remember. I also have diabetic neuropothy so I've LOST feeling in my feet LOL. It's like...ok can we move that to the back where it hurts or something? And I have arthritis and fibromyalgia. But it's mostly the back pain that keeps me down. And depression...that's a hard one.
Keep coming here and we will pray for you and we try to encourage each other in any way we can. The Lord still loves us even when we are broken and sick. And we love Him.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hear you on that one, zippy2. I have herniated disks in my lower back and neck, rheumatoid arthritis, dercum's disease, major depressive disorder, genralized anxiety disorder, ptsd, chronic fatigue and panic disorder. I'm 44 going on 90 on good days. BUT God has let me keep my sense of humor and that's what keeps me going. Like they say, laughter is the best medicine (unless you have diarrhea).

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hear you on that one, zippy2. I have herniated disks in my lower back and neck, rheumatoid arthritis, dercum's disease, major depressive disorder, genralized anxiety disorder, ptsd, chronic fatigue and panic disorder. I'm 44 going on 90 on good days. BUT God has let me keep my sense of humor and that's what keeps me going. Like they say, laughter is the best medicine (unless you have diarrhea).
LOL that was funny. Well you know the drill then. We all just try to keep each other's spirits up and be there for a shoulder if needed. Bout all we can do and pray. I will send a prayer up for you.

Upvote 0

angelsfire84

Returner
Jan 12, 2009
Miami, Florida
✟8,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are so many of us here on the forums with this problem, and seems like more every day. Sometimes the pain can be so overwhelming, I, just like you said, cry or get angry or both. I am getting pain injections in my back now; they last about 3-4 months with less pain but they don't get rid of all of it. Sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to be pain free. Can't remember. I also have diabetic neuropothy so I've LOST feeling in my feet LOL. It's like...ok can we move that to the back where it hurts or something? And I have arthritis and fibromyalgia. But it's mostly the back pain that keeps me down. And depression...that's a hard one.
Keep coming here and we will pray for you and we try to encourage each other in any way we can. The Lord still loves us even when we are broken and sick. And we love Him.

Thank you for your kind words Zippy and I'm sorry to hear about all of your chronic ailments too :( I'll be praying for you also. We just gotta take these things one day at a time. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Let us know how you do? OK? I'm going to give it a shot too! Thanks for this video.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.