Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was baptized as an infant. 

3 years ago my husband and I were baptized at our church, and it was the most amazing experience of my life, right up there with my conversion to Christ as my Saviour.

It was purely between me and God, and my public declaration of my love for Him.  It was my commitment to Him.

If it works for you, I think it's great.  If you don't approve or agree, that's your business (not you Michie...).  I don't think that a person will be condemned by God if they get baptized as an adult, or as a child.  It's a very personal act of love between that person and God, and there's not a blessed thing wrong with it.

If anyone's interested, I'll post scripture that helps support this.

~Peace in Christ,

Terri

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that a person will be condemned by God if they get baptized as an adult, or as a child.

I agree!

It's a very personal act of love between that person and God, and there's not a blessed thing wrong with it.

Agreed again. But it's only necessary once.

Michelle

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I was baptized when I was twenty days old. It didn't mean much to me, and since I had no choice about it, it could hardly be considered relevant to a relationship with Christ.

I was baptized again two years ago, and it was the beginning point of sanctification for me. I was a believer for twelve years before then, and I couldn't get my Christian life in order. I kept sinning even though I didn't want to, and I couldn't seem to dedicate myself wholy to the Lord. I didn't have some great emotional experience at my baptism, but it changed me, it sealed my to the Lord in some way, and I am growing through the process of sanctification now. I am a completely different person than I was before I was baptized.

I'm glad I did it and I recomend it to everyone who was baptized as a baby and is now an adult believer.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,653,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But again I ask:

Say you want to get baptized again?

Special occasion, celebration, whatever...

Being baptized in the Jordan where Jesus was.

Is there really anything wrong with it?

I mean, is it an insult or taking it too lightly in God's eyes to do this more than once?

Upvote 0

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi everyone ~ I know I promised scripture, and I will get to it, I'm just sorry it's taken so long.  My three year old is being really emotional today.....ugh.

Anyway, Michie, if it's something between you and God, and you're dedicating, or re-dedicating your life to Him, a promise, how could it be wrong?  I just don't see it.....I dunno :confused:

There's the "baptism" of the Holy Spirit, where you are sealed when you are justified as a believer. 

I gotta run right now...I'll be back in a bit..

~Terri

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by lambslove
I was baptized when I was twenty days old. It didn't mean much to me, and since I had no choice about it, it could hardly be considered relevant to a relationship with Christ.

When were most Jewish boys circumcised? Did they have a say? Was it significant to their Covenant with God?

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by humblejoe
When were most Jewish boys circumcised? Did they have a say? Was it significant to their Covenant with God?

But that circumcision didn't sanctify them, did it? It was just a sign that his parents were complying with the covenant, not that he was making a profession of faith. If Christ had thought that babies should be baptized, don't you think that he would have parents lining up to dunk their kids? No, in infant baptism, it is the parents who are making the profession of faith, the decision to raise their child as a Christian, and not a meaningful event to the child.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by lambslove
But that circumcision didn't sanctify them, did it? It was just a sign that his parents were complying with the covenant, not that he was making a profession of faith. If Christ had thought that babies should be baptized, don't you think that he would have parents lining up to dunk their kids? No, in infant baptism, it is the parents who are making the profession of faith, the decision to raise their child as a Christian, and not a meaningful event to the child.

Then why did the Hebrews despise grown men that weren't circumcised? Were they despising them for something they're parents didn't do? That doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How old was Jesus when He was circumcised?

Probably about 8 days old.

Genesis 17:12 
 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner-those who are not your offspring.

Then why did the Hebrews despise grown men that weren't circumcised? Were they despising them for something they're parents didn't do? That doesn't make sense to me.

For the same reason that some "Christians" today hate other people groups. Prejudice. God wanted the Jews to be separate from the other cultures in the world. For good reason too. They were very succeptible to other cultures especially the idols. (read the book of Judges)

After Christ's death and resurrection He began to bring Jew and Gentile together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian

Despise is a strong and inappropriate word. And you must distinguish between uncircumcised Jewish men and uncircumcised non-Jewish men. The reason they look askance on an uncircumcised Jewish man is that it shows that his parents didn't follow the faith and probably didn't bring him up as a Jew. They would consider this man to NOT be a Jew in a real sense, but only an ethnic Jew, because his parents showed a lack of faith. If he refuses as an adult to rectify the oversight, then he is shunned as a person who is entitled to participate in the covenant but has rejected it. No young man would be given a bar mitzvah (status as a full Jew) unless he was properly circumcised.

But, if a man isn't circumcised as a baby, he can do so when he becomes an adult, if he has faith. When he himself decides to take his Jewishness seriously, he has the circumcision done. If he refuses, again, he is shunned and not allowed to partake in a Jewish marriage, a Jewish funeral, etc. It is faith that is the determiner, not the foreskin.

Thus, infant circumcision is about the parents' faith, not about the baby's, and adult circumcision is about the individual's faith, and not the parents.

Likewise baptism.

Upvote 0

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Baptism is the Christian rite signifying spritual clensing.
Thats it!

Its helps strengthen your faith.
Its a formality like how should I say....a wedding ring.

It dosent matter how many times you do it and either you'll get saved as long as you accept Christ.

Denominations/individuals often overexaturerate it.

In Christ,

Hector

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Hector Medina
Baptism is the Christian rite signifying spritual clensing.
Thats it!

Really? Are you sure it was not used at all as a Hebrew rite before Christ's time?

http://www.haydid.org/ronimmer.htm

Its helps strengthen your faith.

That it does. ;)

Its a formality like how should I say....a wedding ring.

Just as a monkey wrench... Wedding bands are pagan in origin. LOL :D

It dosent matter how many times you do it and either you'll get saved as long as you accept Christ.

When you accept Christ as your personal Lord, you are submitting to His authority, are you not? What then can be said if you do not follow His commandment of baptism? What can be said of your obedience? What can be said of your salvation experience?

Denominations/individuals often overexaturerate it.

Then so did Jesus.

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit - Matthew 28:19, NASB

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.