Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it wrong to get baptized more than once?

I've heard that we should only be baptized once to it's ok to be baptized multiple times.

I'd like to hear both sides of the argument if anyone is knowledgable in this area.

Thank's!

Michie

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well I can't tell you if it is right or wrong but I have been baptized more than once.

I was baptized in the name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost.

I also got baptized in the name of Jesus and once again cause I thought I better.

I was really at the time not even a little wise on Jesus.

I had been saved but was scared I might not do what I was supposed to do.

I based so much at the time on works and technicalities.

I now take each day and know I am saved and I will never be good enough so I need not try.

I am like filthy rags but thats fine with me.

I can relax in Jesus.  Evee :pray:

Upvote 0

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
I have known people that have "fallen away from God" and been rebaptized after they come back, and it has always bothered me. The idea to me is that rebaptism is essentially denying your first baptism, and as good as claiming that one does not trust God to come into your life the first time.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My grandmother was baptized twice. Once forward and once backward. Some kind of denominational thing that I, quite frankly, don't understand. In order to join the church my grandfather belonged to she had to be baptised in the manner they did it. Don't ask me to explain why.

As an interesting bit of trivia I happen to know that certain denominations will actually dunk the person more than once. Grace Bretheren for example. I don't see anything necessarily wrong with this but I don't really understand it either.

The only reason that I can think of to be baptised again is if the first baptism was not genuine. Meaning, you were baptised but had not truly accepted Christ in your heart. Then, once true conversion had taken place, you desired to be baptised again. I would argue against any doctrine that demanded that someone be baptised more than once for any reason other than the example I gave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is no need for a second baptism.   I completely fail to understand the logic behind this train of thought:

"I was baptized when I was a little baby but I don't remember it and it doesn't mean anything to me and not only that I'm mad that I had no say in the matter so therefore I am going to do it again as a proclaimation of my faith."

I was baptized as a infant 2 or 3 weeks old.  I didn't have an adult conversion to Christianity until  4 years ago.  I would never dream of being re baptized.  In fact, the grace God afforded me through the Sacrament is probably what brought me back to Him.

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I have thought of being baptised again in the Name of Jesus because i heard of a jewish women who did this because she felt it was right I don't think God would mind if we Got baptised again, it might become an issue if we turned it into some kind of traditional yearly practise in which case we have lost the point. Do remember that debating points like this can misguide you from the reality that is in Christ

Tons of love

Nicky

Upvote 0

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by nickyandersonuk
I have thought of being baptised again in the Name of Jesus because i heard of a jewish women who did this because she felt it was right
Tons of love

Nicky

A jewish woman got baptized (re-baptized) in the name of Jesus?  HUH?!

first, I didn't know Jews baptized, and second, if she got Baptized in the name of Jesus, she is a really bad Jew!

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus was an adult when He instituted the Sacrament.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Anyway... I don't think Jesus would be in favor of multiple baptisms, since he only did it once.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can eat 50 eggs:

There are a few Jews that accept Christ.

The Jews that DO NOT accept Christ are called Orthodox Jews.

The Jews that DO accept christ(the woman who go baptized in Jesus' name) are called Messianic Jews and Christian Jews.

To my understanding the Messianic are apart from other Christians and are like a "different kind of Christian".

The Christian Jews include them selves with other Christians and are essentially another denomination.

God Bless,

Hector

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.