United States of America
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wouldn't really matter what out opinions are. You already took it. Most logical response would be to get opinions before you took it. It seems you already know the answer to your questions on if it's abortion, if it is sin.
The only opinion you shall have is you wouldn't need a plan B if you stopped engaging in sexual immorality. It was designed for marriage and it is to lead to the gift of life. A life that could of been that you just killed.
I am harsh because I am a 25 year old male who engaged in such things as a teenager and yes my girl got an abortion. I did not think much of it at the time but it scarred both of us and left us empty. One of these days plan B won't work for you and you will be stuck with the consequences and you will wish you never engaged in such an activity. I hope you learn. God bless.

Upvote 0
StudentOfTheScriptures said:
Wouldn't really matter what out opinions are. You already took it. Most logical response would be to get opinions before you took it. It seems you already know the answer to your questions on if it's abortion, if it is sin. The only opinion you shall have is you wouldn't need a plan B if you stopped engaging in sexual immorality. It was designed for marriage and it is to lead to the gift of life. A life that could of been that you just killed. I am harsh because I am a 25 year old male who engaged in such things as a teenager and yes my girl got an abortion. I did not think much of it at the time but it scarred both of us and left us empty. One of these days plan B won't work for you and you will be stuck with the consequences and you will wish you never engaged in such an activity. I hope you learn. God bless.

"One of these days plan b won't work for you..."
Who said I am going to use it more than just this once? You are just assuming.
And you have no place to tell me to stop engaging in sexual activity. I never asked for your opinion on that.
Realize that it's reality, tons of people have sex before marriage. And I did it with someone I love and trust, and I've been with them for a very long time.
I asked for opinions. <staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
United States of America
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do not have a place to tell you that? I learned from experience and only warn you. It does not matter if you love and trust the person. It matters of you are married and are within the confines of God word. And I'm not here to yell at you. I am harsh because I care and it would be sad to see such things turn wrong for you. You can either listen to the correction of an elder who has experienced such things or choose to be ignorant and naive until something wrong happens and then say I wish I never done that.

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you are seeking peace about your decision or needing closure, you should consult a medical source to understand exactly what Plan B does. I think in most cases it does nothing. If your body wasn't releasing an egg, or going to release one really soon, then you wouldn't become pregnant anyway - pill or not. You only release an egg once a month, and it dies in 24 hours if it's not fertilized. So that is the most likely scenario.

The less likely scenario is that your body was getting ready to release an egg, and the pill you took stopped it. So no egg was released and you couldn't become pregnant. That is why Plan B has to be taken in 72 hours to work. If you wait longer than that, the egg will already be released and then you will either get pregnant or you won't. (And if it gets released before that 72 hours has passed, you could still be too late.)

There is some debate over whether that pill prevents a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. It might, and it might not. But what good is it to stress over what might have happened? All that matters now is what you do in the future. And no matter what our bodies are designed to do as teens, the fact is that we live in a world where teen sex and pregnancy really diminishes your chances of a good future. That is the reality of modern times, and it's the reason that you should wait. Even if you feel ready physically and emotionally.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I do not have a place to tell you that? I learned from experience and only warn you.
Just because you weren't able to handle premarital sex doesn't mean that she can't. What's right for you isn't necessarily right for everyone. There are plenty of people who do it in a responsible manner and don't run into the problems that you encountered.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2012
Abilene, Tx
✟15,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is a Christian forum, meaning follower of Jesus Christ. As brothers and sisters in Christ, we are called to hold one another accountable. So yes he does have the right to tell you to flee from sexual immorality. He may not have gone about it in the most loving way but in the end its not him you are spiting, its God.

Cearbhall, "What's right for you isn't necessarily right for everyone" may be true but when it comes to Sin, there is always a RIGHT and wrong. Premarital sex is sinful so he was right on that.

Back to the OP. The action of taking a Plan B pill or not isn't the issue, its your heart behind it. You are trying to gain all the benefits of a marriage without any of the responsibility, including potentionally killing a child for your selfishness. Please repent and seel Jesus, He has His arms wide open waiting for you to return.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
United States of America
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Airman Of Christ said:
This is a Christian forum, meaning follower of Jesus Christ. As brothers and sisters in Christ, we are called to hold one another accountable. So yes he does have the right to tell you to flee from sexual immorality. He may not have gone about it in the most loving way but in the end its not him you are spiting, its God. Cearbhall, "What's right for you isn't necessarily right for everyone" may be true but when it comes to Sin, there is always a RIGHT and wrong. Premarital sex is sinful so he was right on that. Back to the OP. The action of taking a Plan B pill or not isn't the issue, its your heart behind it. You are trying to gain all the benefits of a marriage without any of the responsibility, including potentionally killing a child for your selfishness. Please repent and seel Jesus, He has His arms wide open waiting for you to return.

If you are referring to me as not going about it in the most loving way...perhaps you may be right. But then yet again I may not know how to go about it in a loving way other than the fact is how can you go about this in a loving way? I mean the OP already committed the offense before seeking opinion on it. Quite frankly it's like I'm gonna do it anyways than seek guidance on it first because she already knows our answer so the damage can be done so she could care less of our response. Sometimes circumstances call for a harsh response. Because it seems like she was looking for confirmation for her wrong like people will be on her side. While love is the motive for my rebuttal I do not know how to beat around the bush.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The medical definition of pregnancy is implantation, which is why medically Plan B is not considered abortion.

Scripture has no answer on the question of when someone is a legal person. It&#8217;s often tied to a soul, but there&#8217;s no answer on that either. A few Biblical passages are cited in the abortion debate, but none of them suggests a specific time, except the &#8220;breath of life&#8221; argument, which would suggest birth. Some of the most commonly cited passages, e.g. Jer 1:5, if taken as answers to this question, might suggest that God creates the soul even before the couple has sex. (I think a more likely exegesis is that God knows us before even our parents have thought of having a child. With that kind of foreknowledge, I would guess that God wouldn&#8217;t create a soul unless a child was going to result.) Does God really create souls at fertilization, with almost half of fertilized eggs never implanting? That would result in a lot of souls for embryos that never got started. It seems unlikely to me that he would do this.

It&#8217;s also worth noting that many contraceptives that use hormones can cause the same range of effects as Plan B, including non-implantation.

My personal view is that I don&#8217;t see how a soul could exist without thought and feelings, and that&#8217;s not possible at the very beginning of pregnancy. I don&#8217;t think current Biblical scholarship supports the idea of the soul as a separate entity that haunts the body. Rather, body and soul are intertwined, so that a soul without a brain that can support consciousness doesn&#8217;t make sense.

In short, I don&#8217;t think the OP caused an abortion.

I'm also not happy with the tone of some of the responses. I would guess that the OP won't come here again for help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I'm a teenager, a couple years away from being an adult.
I'm just wondering about your opinions on the Plan B pill. Do you think it's like abortion?
Do you think it's a sin?
I recently just took one. Just curious about everyone's opinions.

Yes, it is a like an abortion, if it ended the life of a fertilized egg inside you (which you may never know in this life). Even birth control pills can act like abortifacients because they can make the uterine lining "inhospitable" to an egg that is already fertilized. A fertilized egg is a conceived human life. At that point, the pills are not contraception (preventing conception) because conception has already occurred. They are instead an abortifacient because they are causing the death/destruction of an egg that is already fertilized (a conceived life). You need to remember that "conception" and "implantation" (when the fertilized egg/zygote implants into the uterine wall, typically about a week after conception) are not the same thing. At the moment of implantation, the zygote has already been fertilized and growing for 5-7 days.

And Hedrick is not correct in his post about when the medical community consideres pregnancy to "begin". From a Reuters article about this very subject: "Most of the polled obstetrician-gynecologists believe pregnancy begins when the sperm fertilizes the egg"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawthourne

Mar 27, 2014
Maine -US
✟7,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a fair amount of misinformation that circulates around these pills but this is what I have gathered from my discussions and investigations. They try to prevent implantation (pre-pregnancy) and, failing that, they cause a very early abortion. Generally, I would caution people because of the fornication aspect involved, but I respect that that is not an area you wish to discuss at this time.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Inkachu, I was not aware that implantation may not take place until almost a week after conception. Certainly something to think about.

Not something most 21 year old guys are thinking about, but yeah lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
And Hedrick is not correct in his post about when the medical community consideres pregnancy to "begin". From a Reuters article about this very subject: "Most of the polled obstetrician-gynecologists believe pregnancy begins when the sperm fertilizes the egg"

I was basing my comment on official definitions. As far as I can tell from layman's-level articles, AMA, BMA, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and federal policies use implantation.

However official medical definitions are probably not critical for the OP's question. I gave reasons for doubting that fertilization makes sense from a theological point of view. However as I noted, the OP will have to judge for herself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was basing my comment on definitions from AMA, BMA and American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I'm not arguing that some sources may say that, but it is far from a universal or agree-upon fact.

From Wikipedia:
Traditionally, doctors have measured pregnancy from a number of convenient points, including the day of last menstruation, ovulation, fertilization, implantation and chemical detection...

...The American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary defines "pregnancy" as "from conception until birth."...

...The standard historical method of counting the duration of pregnancy begins from the last menstruation and this remains common with doctors, hospitals, and medical companies.

Most of the groups that claim pregnancy begins at implantation have implemented that definition in recent years, since to say otherwise (that pregnancy begins at conception/fertilization) would not bode well for the business of birth control and morning-after pills. Even the U.S. DHSS can't make up its mind when it's an issue of funding and legislation: Protections Set for Antiabortion Health Workers - washingtonpost.com

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Most of the groups that claim pregnancy begins at implantation have implemented that definition in recent years, since to say otherwise (that pregnancy begins at conception/fertilization) would not bode well for the business of birth control and morning-after pills. Even the U.S. DHSS can't make up its mind when it's an issue of funding and legislation: Protections Set for Antiabortion Health Workers - washingtonpost.com

This is a pretty cynical view of doctors, approaching conspiracy theory. There have also been changes in knowledge of exactly how an embryo develops. The change in definitions is probably not unrelated to contraception. Certainly contraception has led to a more careful review by everyone of exactly what happens. Definitions whose details didn't matter before suddenly have implications on what we think of as abortion. To describe this as doctors being concerned about the business of selling pills simply doesn't do justice to the people involved.

Again, I ask you whether it's plausible to think that 1/3 to 1/2 of the population of heaven is embryos that never implanted. (And that estimate assumes that everyone is saved. If, as many conservatives believe, all infants are saved but most adults are not, most of those in heaven will be embryos. Child mortality isn't high enough for infants to come close to the number of embryos that didn't make it.) Why does Scripture give no hint of this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Cearbhall, "What's right for you isn't necessarily right for everyone" may be true but when it comes to Sin, there is always a RIGHT and wrong. Premarital sex is sinful so he was right on that.
That's still just your belief. I completely respect it, but the OP doesn't have to share it.

Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟10,101.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's used to prevent pregnancy, so no, it is not like an abortion. It's supposed to prevent ovulation. If you've already ovulated, then it's supposed to prevent implantation... so that could be viewed as abortion if it's preventing a fertilized egg from implanting. Some people feel it's abortion if the egg has been fertilized. But most of the time, it prevents you ovulating and prevents fertilization... but what I described above is still a possibility. But Plan B is basically the same as taking birth control, just higher acute dose. Medication that's used for abortions is completely different and causes cell death.

Upvote 0