[MOVED] I want real honest opinions

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You're into battling and self defense, Avneil, so I figured you could appreciate this.

Published on Jun 1, 2015

[Original Airdate: June 1, 2015]

When veterans of WWI returned to the U.S., they found a war on democracy happening right here at home. Host Jim Peck welcomes David Krugler, author of “1919, The Year of Racial Violence: How African Americans Fought Back.” The book accounts the struggle for black freedom in the streets, in the press and in the courts.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's because the media is sensationalizing it. A black person shot down sparks controversy, while a white person does not, so they bring up more of one than the other. You can't rely on the media to show you what trends are really occurring.

This is a really good point.

The media cares about one thing...viewers. Whatever gets them more viewers is what they'll show. Had the public not responded they way it did to Michael Brown...you simply wouldn't see the attention to police shootings that you have.

I remember back in the 80s and early 90s the attention was on black gang shootings. They got lots a press coverage...lots of people got scared...so you saw even more of them. It got to the point where white people who lived far away from any of the shootings were calling for changes. They began to perceive all blacks as dangerous even though the gang violence really represented a small percentage of blacks.

When that died down, the next big media fear was pitbulls. Story after story of pitbull attacks would make the headlines over and over again. People began to think that every single pitbull was just a time bomb waiting to go off. People wanted changes in the laws to protect themselves from what they considered a real threat...even though the attacks represented a very small number of pitbulls.

Now we have "bad cops". Even out of the stories of police shootings it's a small number of cops who actually broke the law. Out of the half a million police, and the millions of interactions between the police and general public every day....these bad or racist cops represent less than a half of 1% of all police....and that's being generous.

There's no real police problem in the U.S. It's a problem of people reacting to the media. If you have something against blacks, pitbulls, or police...every negative story about them that you see just confirms that bias. It doesn't mean there's a real problem that needs addressed...but there's no money in telling everyone that the police actually do a good job and things are working the way they should.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When that died down, the next big media fear was pitbulls. Story after story of pitbull attacks would make the headlines over and over again. People began to think that every single pitbull was just a time bomb waiting to go off. People wanted changes in the laws to protect themselves from what they considered a real threat...even though the attacks represented a very small number of pitbulls.

Now we have "bad cops". Even out of the stories of police shootings it's a small number of cops who actually broke the law. Out of the half a million police, and the millions of interactions between the police and general public every day....these bad or racist cops represent less than a half of 1% of all police....and that's being generous.

Now, that you mention it, I do recall the media some years back broadcasting a lot of stories on bad incidents involving pitbulls.

It's a problem in news reporting that the journalists--really the editors and bosses--determine what is news for the public to consume.

Not suggesting per so-called "news values" in the field of journalism that there aren't things journalists and editors shouldn't spot as more news worthy than certain other things. But the news industry really has no one to answer to other than "the ratings." That and the people that own the news companies.

Police shootings seem to be up by far from when I was a kid and gun violence in the USA was a lot less frequent. Both police and civilian gun shootings are dramatically up from then.

But in terms of police brutality.... it's my opinion things in the USA have improved over many decades. I don't think they've gotten worse in that sense. The irony is that the news--except for iconic events/incidents--weren't making a big deal out of the heavy-handedness of the police many decades ago.

That said... US police are probably more aggressive--in general--than cops in certain Western European nations. And certain police departments in the USA do seem to have a long tradition of corruption that still has not entirely left their departments. NYC, Chicago, LA, NOLA cops... all a long tradition of corruption and brutality.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You're into battling and self defense, Avneil, so I figured you could appreciate this.

Yeah I always support self defense but battling I'm against. Black people have lost their lives for civil rights and it was failure. The people of the 60s failed to produce a better situation for black americans. In fact they only produced a worse outcome for our community.

MLK, Malcolm X, Huey P. Newton in my opinion threw away their lives for nothing. The black community in America will never be accepted until Jesus comes.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a really good point.

The media cares about one thing...viewers. Whatever gets them more viewers is what they'll show. Had the public not responded they way it did to Michael Brown...you simply wouldn't see the attention to police shootings that you have.

I remember back in the 80s and early 90s the attention was on black gang shootings. They got lots a press coverage...lots of people got scared...so you saw even more of them. It got to the point where white people who lived far away from any of the shootings were calling for changes. They began to perceive all blacks as dangerous even though the gang violence really represented a small percentage of blacks.

There's no real police problem in the U.S. It's a problem of people reacting to the media. If you have something against blacks, pitbulls, or police...every negative story about them that you see just confirms that bias. It doesn't mean there's a real problem that needs addressed...but there's no money in telling everyone that the police actually do a good job and things are working the way they should.
The most watched news station fox news only has 1% of black viewers.

The reality is how many kids got bit by a pitbull.....I know two personally this summer. How many people allow their pitbulls to walk around off leash in nyc.......a lot.....it's a problem.............news coverage or not. A dog bit my friend's nephew he went to his neighbor's and killed their dog...........pitbulls are a problem within the community and they are very popular.

So when the news leaves you think the story dies........it doesn't you just don't hear about it.

Every year there is a black family union and every year gang violence is brought up. You have rappers making stop the violence treaties between gangs. Most murders in the black community are drug and gang related. A 12 year old got killed in my community, he was in a gang.........no news coverage..........people are outraged.

The problems don't change.

There is a difference from me being stopped in a suit and in jeans. I got stopped more when I am relaxing. I would say 25% of the police department is not racist. That's how I feel about america in general most people are racist here it is part of the culture. You cant take 50 years away from racism and expect a 95% racist culture to change to 10% racist in 50 years. History does not change and social climates dont change that fast.

When white people see the news in america......Jesse and AL are for white media watcher and old black women.

You can't say the story ends because you don't live the story, you don't know if the story is over all you know is that the news stopped telling the story and moved on to something else.

I mentor and I deal with a good deal of single mothers and help them with their sons..........do you think gang membership is a concern? YES!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now, that you mention it, I do recall the media some years back broadcasting a lot of stories on bad incidents involving pitbulls.

It's a problem in news reporting that the journalists--really the editors and bosses--determine what is news for the public to consume.

Not suggesting per so-called "news values" in the field of journalism that there aren't things journalists and editors shouldn't spot as more news worthy than certain other things. But the news industry really has no one to answer to other than "the ratings." That and the people that own the news companies.

Police shootings seem to be up by far from when I was a kid and gun violence in the USA was a lot less frequent. Both police and civilian gun shootings are dramatically up from then.

But in terms of police brutality.... it's my opinion things in the USA have improved over many decades. I don't think they've gotten worse in that sense. The irony is that the news--except for iconic events/incidents--weren't making a big deal out of the heavy-handedness of the police many decades ago.

That said... US police are probably more aggressive--in general--than cops in certain Western European nations. And certain police departments in the USA do seem to have a long tradition of corruption that still has not entirely left their departments. NYC, Chicago, LA, NOLA cops... all a long tradition of corruption and brutality.
But pitbulls are still a problem within the community. I just saw a pitbull running free, I know someone that killed someone's pitbull for biting a child. Just because the news leaves doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist and doesn't mean the problem stops.

What about places like NC, SC, FL, NJ and RI? I saw my father treated less than in all of these states. The biggest problem is there is no respect for black culture. The police figure black men are conformed or they are criminal. Black criminals dont have a uniform.

It has always been a problem. Part of it is economic power and classism mixed in with racism. If I were to wear skinny jeans, jordans, a POLO shirt and a snap back with earrings and a chain.....which is how I dress when I am off my hipster swag. The police are going to bother you eventually, they look at you and place you in a box.

Upvote 0

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I wouldn't take the reporting of news agencies as gospel for the actual tally of violence by race in America.

The media serves a purpose and it isn't to deliver absolute truth but rather absolute drama programming.
All lives matter. Not just black lives matter, not just red lives matter, not just white lives matter. All lives matter.

Recently in Texas a white deputy was gunned down by a black man and while pumping gas. The coward in question shot him in the back and then stood over the body and shot the deputy some more.
Is that a black thing? A white thing?
No, it's a murder thing.
The divide this nation , in my opinion, when we imagine what happens is due to our dividing ourselves over race. And the media feeds that idea.
It's not race. It's bad people acting badly. But if we think it's racial we can pick a side and that just propagates what media and those behind the programming want, need, in order for more controls over us to be put in place so that doesn't happen.

It's a step by step process. Media isn't a resource for truth. They're purveyors .

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the post I made with links to other blacks (including civil right people from the 60s) saying the BLM thing is overboard and change comes from within the black community... does this mean they are wrong on the subject too? Even the civil rights person? I agree that blacks are stereotyped of course. But I'd say if a cop looks at someone who is black with some sort of notion that they may be "dangerous", wouldn't that be the black cultures fault and not the cops? I mean of course the cop shouldn't look at the guy like that, but black culture to the outside world seems to be filled with all kinds of bad values. People like Al Sharpton also don't help the matter.

When I was homeschooled there was a christian woman we knew who didn't come from much. She lives in Cleveland in what many would call a run down type city. Run down, crimes issues...etc. Her and her husband had been married a long time and raised three kids. All boys. She never acted like the cultural norm. She raised her kids that way too. None of her kids act like what they sometimes seen in the media, movies...etc. No gang talk, no hood talk, no blaming anyone. Even at that time (15+ years ago) she said people around Cleveland grew up and continued to pass on a negative culture in the black community. She couldn't stand it. Mind you shes from down south originally. She said the hardest thing she had to deal with growing up was trying to show people you can do anything you want if you get out of a certain mind set.

Do I know what is like to be black? Of course not. Is there a negative stereotype towards blacks. Sadly yes. Is it fair that all are treated like bad people because of others? No its not fair. But I've seen to much that shows if the culture is fixed then things would get better. And with the BLM movement not only are other races getting tired of hearing about it, but even blacks themselves are feeling the same. Some blacks even say they noticed whites are if anything turning into racists now because of how tired they are of the lies of BLM. Its why I say #ChangeComesFromWithinFirst and #AllLivesMatter.

I'm actually curious where BLM was with this shooting of the live news crew. They seemed to say noting. Even after hearing the guy left a manifesto talking about he wanted to start a race war. And now theres that other shooting of the white cop executed. On a side note what do you feel about this mans post (its the first post). Not saying hes right or wrong, just want your take on it:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3237223/posts

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Then let's not forget that black people's mistrust for the police. Think about 50 years ago they were calling us the n word and treating us like animals.........now magically a law changes the direction of 100% of americans?

There is tension between the black community and the police. It goes past today, it goes past police brutality....it's about professionalism, the past and people's personal stimuli. It has nothing to do with the media and nothing to do with death.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't take the reporting of news agencies as gospel for the actual tally of violence by race in America.

The media serves a purpose and it isn't to deliver absolute truth but rather absolute drama programming.
All lives matter. Not just black lives matter, not just red lives matter, not just white lives matter. All lives matter.

Recently in Texas a white deputy was gunned down by a black man and while pumping gas. The coward in question shot him in the back and then stood over the body and shot the deputy some more.
Is that a black thing? A white thing?
No, it's a murder thing.
The divide this nation , in my opinion, when we imagine what happens is due to our dividing ourselves over race. And the media feeds that idea.
It's not race. It's bad people acting badly. But if we think it's racial we can pick a side and that just propagates what media and those behind the programming want, need, in order for more controls over us to be put in place so that doesn't happen.

It's a step by step process. Media isn't a resource for truth. They're purveyors .
I think that's what the black lives matter movement is about. It's about people that aren't criminals saying that black lives matter. You're right crime isn't a black thing, murder isn't a black thing america has a crime problem. We have the most prisons in the world, that's an issue.

My life matters because I don't play with it I don't think police should have the option of making it not matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is true, police did start out as super racist against blacks back then. And I do believe many cops from the south still are because its what they parents passed on (through teaching) to them. Even if there is a change within the black community, this means there would also have to be a change in the cop community (and white community in general) to realize if their changing, then we need to also and to realize once change comes from both sides then all this can be the past and put aside.

Upvote 0

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That was the point of my post. Let's drop the qualifier and just agree that all lives matter.

Otherwise, we'll have to ignore when any shooting of a white person by a black cop occurs. We'll have to ignore black on black crime.
It isn't one race victimizing another. It's violence acting out against peace or other violence, and costing lives in the process.

I think that's what the black lives matter movement is about. It's about people that aren't criminals saying that black lives matter. You're right crime isn't a black thing, murder isn't a black thing america has a crime problem. We have the most prisons in the world, that's an issue.

My life matters because I don't play with it I don't think police should have the option of making it not matter.

Reactions: TheoNewstoss
Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That was the point of my post. Let's drop the qualifier and just agree that all lives matter.

Otherwise, we'll have to ignore when any shooting of a white person by a black cop occurs. We'll have to ignore black on black crime.
It isn't one race victimizing another. It's violence acting out against peace or other violence, and costing lives in the process.
I don't think that is needed I believe it's redundant. All lives but blacks and other minorities lives matter in america. If I said #alllivesmatter that defeats the statement. Black lives matter says to people I'm black and my life matter's as well. Nobody is stating that white lives don't matter, or other people's lives don't matter. What we are saying is that black lives matter I do believe america at times needs that reminder. I don't believe whites need to be reminded that their lives matter in america.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is true, police did start out as super racist against blacks back then. And I do believe many cops from the south still are because its what they parents passed on (through teaching) to them. Even if there is a change within the black community, this means there would also have to be a change in the cop community (and white community in general) to realize if their changing, then we need to also and to realize once change comes from both sides then all this can be the past and put aside.
You will not be able to change the community. There are certain cultural historical aspects to all black communities world wide that are similar. No matter how much money, or how educated I or most of my family become we identify with the black culture. I was raised to be black, I was brought up to be a certain type of man. A lot of it is culturally identified as black. I don't want to be like the rest of america.......I hate country, rock and pop......I like old school jazz and blues the new stuff is horrible.......I like bright colors.........I can't conform and be someone I am not.

White america wants black americans to become assimilated and totally destroy our culture and history.

I don't want to be white.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

How many times do we see Farrakhan on tv? He is the most highly respected black man in public. How many people are having those in depth with this man? Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are fools been fools. Do you believe Jesse Jackson are Al Sharpton can walk through the projects at night time by themselves?

I bet you Farrakhan can............you have more black pastors and preachers having conversations with him than with those fools.

The media puts the wrong people on the news.

I don't even agree with him but at least he's thinking.....listen to how he describes NAACP once the crowd is gathered............

Yesterday was the Katrina I think, or at least I saw a lot of statuses about it. One thing I noticed was a racially charged commentary, I saw one post about how black men were looting and white men were being brave going out to find food and water.......looting.

There is a difference between how we interpret actions of blacks and whites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The most watched news station fox news only has 1% of black viewers.

The reality is how many kids got bit by a pitbull.....I know two personally this summer. How many people allow their pitbulls to walk around off leash in nyc.......a lot.....it's a problem.............news coverage or not. A dog bit my friend's nephew he went to his neighbor's and killed their dog...........pitbulls are a problem within the community and they are very popular.

So when the news leaves you think the story dies........it doesn't you just don't hear about it.

Every year there is a black family union and every year gang violence is brought up. You have rappers making stop the violence treaties between gangs. Most murders in the black community are drug and gang related. A 12 year old got killed in my community, he was in a gang.........no news coverage..........people are outraged.

The problems don't change.

There is a difference from me being stopped in a suit and in jeans. I got stopped more when I am relaxing. I would say 25% of the police department is not racist. That's how I feel about america in general most people are racist here it is part of the culture. You cant take 50 years away from racism and expect a 95% racist culture to change to 10% racist in 50 years. History does not change and social climates dont change that fast.

When white people see the news in america......Jesse and AL are for white media watcher and old black women.

You can't say the story ends because you don't live the story, you don't know if the story is over all you know is that the news stopped telling the story and moved on to something else.

I mentor and I deal with a good deal of single mothers and help them with their sons..........do you think gang membership is a concern? YES!!!!!!!

Maybe you didn't quite catch the point I was trying to make...so I'll restate it a bit more simply...

What is prejudice? It's when someone takes their negative perceptions of someone and extends it to an entire group that the person belongs to. It might be based on a piece of information about that group, news stories, personal anecdotes, etc. Suddenly, every individual of a group is perceived negatively based upon the actions of a few of that group.

It doesn't matter if it's thinking all young black men are violent and dangerous because of the actions of a few black gang members, or all feminists are crazy because a few said men should be castrated, or all pit bulls are dangerous killing machines because a few have mauled children to death, or all latinos are welfare leeching bums because a few refuse to get jobs, or all whites are overtly racist because a few said the n-word. I could go on but hopefully you get the idea....

The same applies to painting all of the 500k cops in this nation as "bad" or "racist" or "crooked" based on the actions of what amounts to a very small number of them.

The sad thing here Avniel is that you're doing to them exactly what you don't want them to do to you. You wouldn't want them to judge you based upon the negative experiences they've had with a few black men. You wouldn't want them to treat you like a criminal because of what they see in the news about black violence in their community. Yet you have no problem judging a whopping 75% of them based upon your limited experiences with them and what you've read about in the news.

They have a word for this, and it's called hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that is needed I believe it's redundant. All lives but blacks and other minorities lives matter in america. If I said #alllivesmatter that defeats the statement. Black lives matter says to people I'm black and my life matter's as well. Nobody is stating that white lives don't matter, or other people's lives don't matter. What we are saying is that black lives matter I do believe america at times needs that reminder. I don't believe whites need to be reminded that their lives matter in america.

I remember growing up in the South, and the well talked about Jim Crow laws. Things are not perfect now, but they certainly have come a long way from then. My kids couldn't even relate to my experiences as a child, and they have a very diverse group of friends who seem shocked when I talk about it too. It might seem small to some, but from my worldview its HUGE!

My parents were the rebels that fought against it, and because it was the law at the time...were attacked for it. They used Jesus as their justification against the bigotry, hatred, and racism. They spoke out against the churches during that period that enabled that type of behavior. We were labeled traitors to our race, and that made us targets...but they didn't stop.

My parents were not the oddity at the time, but you certainly would think so the way people talk about History. You know why they did what they did? Because they felt Black Lives Matter. They didn't think Blacks needed to be White either, or throw away the culture you wrote about. They felt the same way about any culture, background, color, etc. How we all deserve basic human respect period. Today you would think that is just an odd prospective, and yet it isn't. It's just not spoken about or shown in the media...because it doesn't have the shock value that sells today.

The big difference I see from when times were changing during my children compared to today? The attitude of cooperation, and respect during very ugly and cruel times. That attitude stopped all the nonsense that was enabled by bigoted politicians that had free reign to say the most hateful things - they would be throw out today. You don't see majority of people getting arrested when they don't go to back of the bus. The tendency to get fired bombed when certain families move into the white neighborhood doesn't go unaccounted for with a wink and nod the way it was normalized at the time either.

The progress isn't perfect by any means, but what I do see is the denial of any progress being made at all. With all the hate that is enabled ONCE again today we seem to be turning to division...and away from unity as my parents stated Jesus would wish for.

Sadly, the media is responsible I believe more than the people. They are drumming all this up, and spreading lies with their politically correct garbage, and how they get to inform us of our 'realities' as they see it. How you can't state certain facts of reality, because you MIGHT hurt someone's feelings. Everyone is 'offended' over everything today, and this push for the 'discussion' is a smoke screen. You can't have a discussion in that atmosphere. Then they put these LOONS on TV that claim they speak for the masses. Who died and made them speaker of the masses as they spread fear, hate and resentment? I mean that kills hope completely. They are encouraging resentment and victimhood. Your not responsible for yourself and your life anymore...because you are encouraged to blame anyone and everyone for your woes. We are such a prideful bunch, and so full of entitlement. It makes me sick. We look like royal idiots on the national stage too.

I honestly don't know WHY people are buying into it. This Us against Them means we all lose - history is repeating itself once again. Yet, today we claim we are so smart. Right. No, we are just crushing the souls and attitudes of our youth to be jaded and resentful...but only whites don't need to be reminded that their life's matter - because of some silly assumption that they KNOW it automatically? I could introduce to you tons of non minority kids that would laugh at such an attitude, because no one has ever treated them as anything besides the bottom of someone's shoe. You see they don't think their lifes matter, yet I realize that stereotype is all the rage today.

I think the children and the mentally ill are the only ones that truly have no advocates today...and they are constantly pooed all over. You notice when they grow up, and get into trouble...and you glance back to their life as a child...they never had a chance. Society can't face that - because it would hurt their feelings if they had to be held accountable for anything - and so we dream up other things to blame instead. It frees us from our guilt...or so we think. That aspect of society is completely color blind. We all paying for it too, but we just don't want to face it right now. We are too busy placing people in boxes, and having fun hating.

These stereotypes are going to be the death of all of us. These stereotypes are starting the bigotry cycle all over again, but just in a new and modern way. We are going backwards instead of forward, and many of my minority friends state the same thing. Yet, we aren't news worthy...so we are silenced.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I always support self defense but battling I'm against. Black people have lost their lives for civil rights and it was failure. The people of the 60s failed to produce a better situation for black americans. In fact they only produced a worse outcome for our community.

MLK, Malcolm X, Huey P. Newton in my opinion threw away their lives for nothing.
The black community in America will never be accepted until Jesus comes.

A good number of elderly Black-Americans of the WWII and Korean War generation would agree with you.

Prior to the Civil Rights Movement of the '60s, poor, middle-class, and wealthy Black-Americans lived in the same neighborhoods. The black neighborhoods were full of black owned businesses and these neighborhoods were "self sustaining."

Before my time--when my parents were still young--3rd street what is known as MLK blvd. today, was a bustling, pretty prosperous part of the Black-American community's commercial and entertainment life. You know... with national blues, jazz, and musical artist that were black coming stopping in the nightclubs to play as they did their national tours.

During the 60s riots it burned down by the hands of black people. Throughout my childhood it was known as 3rd street. Just like Cesar Chavez (st./blvd) on the South Side was known as 16th street. I still call them 3rd and 16th street to this day. But 3rd was a pretty rough and rundown area during the 1980s. Over the last decade or so it has made a real comeback and the area is revitalized.

The video calls 3rd street part of the North Side. But to Black-Americans in Milwaukee we generally regard it as part of the East Side. The "Upper East Side." Certain areas around 3rd are still gritty and dangerous. Like around Keefe street and what not. Around Brurleigh which is not far from Keefe and south of Keefe. But it seems to improve more the further south you head. More revitalization. Still robberies down that way though.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
^My bad, it's MLK Dr. and not "blvd."

Anyways... the "Around the Corner" series always tries to show the "best" (avoids showing grittier housing/blocks etc.).

It is true that MLK Dr. and that near area around it has improved (in part from some gentrification by suburban whites into the area). But don't be fooled, it can "jump off" in that area too at the drop of a hat.

This attempted robbery didn't happen to long ago over there:

Published on Jul 27, 2015
The owner of a luxury clothing store in Milwaukee is now explaining why he fired shots at intruders.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well the post I made with links to other blacks (including civil right people from the 60s) saying the BLM thing is overboard and change comes from within the black community... does this mean they are wrong on the subject too? Even the civil rights person? I agree that blacks are stereotyped of course. But I'd say if a cop looks at someone who is black with some sort of notion that they may be "dangerous", wouldn't that be the black cultures fault and not the cops? I mean of course the cop shouldn't look at the guy like that, but black culture to the outside world seems to be filled with all kinds of bad values. People like Al Sharpton also don't help the matter.

When I was homeschooled there was a christian woman we knew who didn't come from much. She lives in Cleveland in what many would call a run down type city. Run down, crimes issues...etc. Her and her husband had been married a long time and raised three kids. All boys. She never acted like the cultural norm. She raised her kids that way too. None of her kids act like what they sometimes seen in the media, movies...etc. No gang talk, no hood talk, no blaming anyone. Even at that time (15+ years ago) she said people around Cleveland grew up and continued to pass on a negative culture in the black community. She couldn't stand it. Mind you shes from down south originally. She said the hardest thing she had to deal with growing up was trying to show people you can do anything you want if you get out of a certain mind set.

Do I know what is like to be black? Of course not. Is there a negative stereotype towards blacks. Sadly yes. Is it fair that all are treated like bad people because of others? No its not fair. But I've seen to much that shows if the culture is fixed then things would get better. And with the BLM movement not only are other races getting tired of hearing about it, but even blacks themselves are feeling the same. Some blacks even say they noticed whites are if anything turning into racists now because of how tired they are of the lies of BLM. Its why I say #ChangeComesFromWithinFirst and #AllLivesMatter.

I'm actually curious where BLM was with this shooting of the live news crew. They seemed to say noting. Even after hearing the guy left a manifesto talking about he wanted to start a race war. And now theres that other shooting of the white cop executed. On a side note what do you feel about this mans post (its the first post). Not saying hes right or wrong, just want your take on it:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3237223/posts
I think Al Sharpton is a pimp and Jesse Jackson is another pimp. He's no better than rapper that get paid to spread a false image of who the black community is. Truthfully when you even ask blacks why the listen to certain music it's really more about the beat than the actual song. Culturally that is the african musical tradition, so no matter the lyrics if it has a beat to grove to typically the better the grove the better the song is. Africans are listening to english rappers and even dancehall artists simply because of the beat. What happens is we have say 35% of the community, heck lets make it 40%, and a majority of the crimes are committed by that 40%. Now let's say the only thing that the 40% and the 40% have in common is way of dress, way of dialect when around friends and choice of music. I don't believe that's enough to hold the rest of the black community responsible. Instead of bothering tax payers it would make more sense to train police officer better to identify instead of having them bother petty criminals and normal tax payers that happen to be black.......identifying and enjoying the black culture. How is it the black cultures fault?

I am part of the black culture as is all my family and all of my college friends we don't behave like that.

When I was in school there was a black couple. A man who had a doctorate(won't mention in what field) and a woman that was his office manager. When he came to the country his first job was at the black panther fishmarket(while going to private catholic school something many black couldn't afford educated with the whites). A man that grew up in England where he accredits most of his education(also private school mostly white), reads extremely well and never lived in any ghetto. His family were political in there country. Came here and lived in Harlem within 5 years moved into an all Italian middle class neighborhood in the bronx.

He had an afro, he listened to nothing but reggae and all the music blacks in america were listening to. When he was at home he spoke Jamaican patios or "ebonics." Yet and still he probably speaks a better english when he's working than most americans.

What does that mean though? Due to the culture he identifies with you consider him as less. The rest of the world doesn't view the black culture as negative, there are certain places but not all countries have such a negative view of blackness. Some people, white people, have no idea about the concept of racism.

The reality is yes there are negative aspects of the black culture on a christian level.......as many negative aspects as the white culture. If you believe that the black culture negative in a criminal way than I would think that's a racist statement. The truth is the mostly is all cultures and communities within america have major problems, including drug addiction:

Nearly 20 percent of whites have used cocaine, compared with 10 percent of blacks and Latinos, according to a 2011 survey from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration -- the most recent data available. Higher percentages of whites have also tried hallucinogens, marijuana, pain relievers like OxyContin, and stimulants like methamphetamine, according to the survey. Crack is more popular among blacks than whites, but not by much."
Where are the big media coverage of addiction in white american communities? Why are blacks projected as the crackheads when the truth is whites use drugs at a higher percentage. Why are blacks seen as drug dealers when the reality is we have more whites selling drugs:

Whites were about 45 percent more likely than blacks to sell drugs in 1980, according to an analysis of the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth by economist Robert Fairlie. This was consistent with a 1989 survey of youth in Boston. My own analysis of data from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows that 6.6 percent of white adolescents and young adults (aged 12 to 25) sold drugs, compared to just 5.0 percent of blacks (a 32 percent difference).
If there is negative aspects in the black culture then there certainly is negative aspects of the white culture. The only difference is we don't see them on TV when we turn on the news. What you're talking about is an american problem not a black or white problem it's an American problem. Until the rest of america understands that, it's always going to be a racist country. My culture is no better or worse than your's, no more intellectual, no more educated and classy, but also no more criminal and deviant.

Upvote 0