[MOVED FROM ETHICS & MORALITY] Can/should Christians be pro-(sinful behavior)?

D

DiligentlySeekingGod

No. It is certainly not okay to condone any form of sinful behavior, as it is equally wrong to compromise the absolute truth of God's Word to condone any form of sinful behavior. The absolute truth of God's Word will not change, no matter how hard a man tries to change it to suit their own personal sins. No liar, no idolater, no thief, no fornicator, no adulterer, no murderer, no unbeliever, and no blasphemer will inherit the Kingdom of God, but they will have their part in the Lake of Fire. God will punish sin wherever it is found. God does not just punish the lie, but the liar. He does not just punish the idolatry, but the idolater. I hope you see where I am going with this. You need to know that God sees your lust as adultery of the heart. If you hate another person, then you are a murderer in His eyes. He will judge you for every idle word you speak. There is absolutely nothing that is hidden from His sight. He knows your every thought and your innermost secrets. And one day, you will stand before Him and you will have to give Him an account for your life - every word, every deed, every thought - will be brought before Him when you stand before Him in judgment. There are no second chances after death and if you die in your sins, without having the righteousness of Christ, which is the only way for you to be saved from God's wrath against your sins, then you face His wrath on Judgment Day and you will be cast into hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems like many Christians tend to be for some sinful behaviors but against others. Is this okay or should it be an all or nothing kind of thing?

Not being willing to send the King's men to kill a sinner does not mean that the Christian is "for" the sin.

But there do seem to be some Christians who opposed to things such as homosexuality but don't mind adultery. Is that what you meant?

Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

This isn't what the Genie in the bottle promised
Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Can/should Christians be pro-(sinful behavior)?
No.

2 Corinthians 7:1 Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Coming to Christ isn't about life enhancement or God making you more comfortable in your life. It is about escaping the wrath of God against your sins on the Day of Judgment.
That may be why you became a Christian, but I didn't become a Christian out of fear, I became a Christian because I believe that God loves me.

I couldn't imagine making fear of wrath the basis for my choice.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It seems like many Christians tend to be for some sinful behaviors but against others. Is this okay or should it be an all or nothing kind of thing?

What puts Christians above the rest to where they are the arbiters of pro and con? It's fine for a Christian (or anyone else) to say "I think that x and y are wrong and therefore I won't do them ever" - that being an all or nothing approach. Then they can try to never lie and never cheat etc. But to preach at others about their sin - while the giant plank is sticking out of their eye - no, I don't go for that. Never have, never will. That doesn't make me "pro-sin". It makes me pro-fully fledged adults making their own consensual choices in life.

I find it sad that so many Christians spend more time spreading condemnation and the wrath of God and the threat of hell, rather than emphasizing the love of God. That kind of attitude in my church of birth made me run from the church as a teen. It was the proper understanding of the love of God that brought me back as an adult.

Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

Why didn't you put this in the Christians only forum? The Philosophy and Ethics section?

Otherwise, it affords the opportunity for atheists to have a field day.

Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Why didn't you put this in the Christians only forum? The Philosophy and Ethics section?

Otherwise, it affords the opportunity for atheists to have a field day.

That's true, but I don't mind their responses. In fact, I welcome them. I want to talk to them about this most crucial issue in their entire life, their eternal fate. My heart aches for those who are not saved. I'm incredibly terrified for their eternal fate. I don't want anyone to go to hell. I lose sleep at night, pacing the floor, praying for those I know who are unsaved. What more can I do? What kind of a Christian would I be if I didn't tell the unsaved what it is that can save them from the wrath of God? I believe God will hold me accountable for that. I have such a passion and such deep concern for the lost that it burns within my heart. I can't but help preach the message of the Gospel, proclaiming the absolute truth for God's Word. As the Apostle Paul said, "For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!" (1 Corinthians 9:16). Witnessing is so much a part of me now. It's becoming as natural to me as breathing. I'm becoming thoroughly consumed by the Lord. And finally, Jesus commanded His followers to "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every living creature" (Mark 16:15) and to "Go and make disciples of all the nations" (Matthew 28:19-20). It was a command, not a suggestion.

“Oh my friends… we are loaded down with countless church activities while the real work of the church—that of evangelizing and winning the lost—is almost entirely neglected. The Body of Christ is not a pleasure cruiser on its way to Heaven, but a battleship stationed at the very gates of Hell.” ~ Oswald J. Smith

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Have you yet to see an atheist here renounce their sins and come to Christ?

Or do they instead mock, ridicule, and assault those who are in Christ?

Think of the addict. They can never be helped unless they first realize they have a problem. The same can be said for the unbeliever. Until they know they are lost they can never be found.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you yet to see an atheist here renounce their sins and come to Christ?

Or do they instead mock, ridicule, and assault those who are in Christ?

Think of the addict. They can never be helped unless they first realize they have a problem. The same can be said for the unbeliever. Until they know they are lost they can never be found.

How often does an addict become aware he's lost because someone told him he was lost? How more often does he finally become aware of it by something within himself?

In the case of sin, Romans tells us conclusively that no person can become aware of his own sin except by the Spirit of the Lord Himself, and John tells us that it is the Holy Spirit that convicts the world of sin. The job of the evangelist is to be there with the gospel when the sinner is drawn to the desire for salvation by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

I find it sad that so many Christians spend more time spreading condemnation and the wrath of God and the threat of hell, rather than emphasizing the love of God. That kind of attitude in my church of birth made me run from the church as a teen. It was the proper understanding of the love of God that brought me back as an adult.

Jesus Himself said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

Jesus Himself said, "But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him." (Luke 12:5)

Jesus Himself said, "If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell." (Matthew 5:29-30)

Jesus Himself said, "If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where ‘the worms that eat them do not die, and the fire is not quenched.’" (Luke 9:43-48)

Any person who dies in their sins will face the wrath of God against their sins on Judgment Day and they will go to hell. The love of God, as you stated, is so clearly seen through the cross of His Son, Jesus Christ. It was God's love for us which compelled Him to sacrifice His only begotten Son so that you and I (and everyone else reading this) could be saved from His wrath when we stand before Him in judgment. He sent His only begotten Son to save us from hell. Why would I not tell the unsaved what can save them from going to hell for all eternity? I would really have to hate someone to not tell them.

If a person dies in their sins, without having the righteousness of Christ, THEY WILL GO TO HELL. Does that not concern you?

"14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'” (Romans 10:14-15)

Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

How often does an addict become aware he's lost because someone told him he was lost? How more often does he finally become aware of it by something within himself?

In the case of sin, Romans tells us conclusively that no person can become aware of his own sin except by the Spirit of the Lord Himself, and John tells us that it is the Holy Spirit that convicts the world of sin. The job of the evangelist is to be there with the gospel when the sinner is drawn to the desire for salvation by the Holy Spirit.

AMEN!!!

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Any person who dies in their sins will face the wrath of God against their sins on Judgment Day and they will go to hell. The love of God, as you stated, is so clearly seen through the cross of His Son, Jesus Christ. It was God's love for us which compelled Him to sacrifice His only begotten Son so that you and I (and everyone else reading this) could be saved from His wrath when we stand before Him in judgment. He sent His only begotten Son to save us from hell. Why would I not tell the unsaved what can save them from going to hell for all eternity? I would really have to hate someone to not tell them.
It's silly to say that those who don't dwell on hell "must hate people" not to tell them that. And also bear in mind that those are your words - not God's - and therefore they have very little weight. It's opinion, that's all.

I will continue to focus upon, talk about and emphasize the love of God.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No liar, no idolater, no thief, no fornicator, no adulterer, no murderer, no unbeliever, and no blasphemer will inherit the Kingdom of God, but they will have their part in the Lake of Fire. God will punish sin wherever it is found. God does not just punish the lie, but the liar. He does not just punish the idolatry, but the idolater. I hope you see where I am going with this. You need to know that God sees your lust as adultery of the heart. If you hate another person, then you are a murderer in His eyes. He will judge you for every idle word you speak. There is absolutely nothing that is hidden from His sight. He knows your every thought and your innermost secrets ..
.. and he forgives. He says that a person's sin is as far as the east is from the west. Don't forget that.

Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
4436531535_5f2f2dc646_o.jpg

MOD HAT ON

Thread moved from Ethics and Morality.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I will continue to focus upon, talk about and emphasize the love of God.

It is not always the case, but dwelling on just this attribute of God may lead one into a state of compromise and comfortableness in their sin.

.. and he forgives. He says that a person's sin is as far as the east is from the west. Don't forget that.

That He does, yet one must first accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. If they do not feel the need of a Saviour, they will not be moved to accept Him as the one for them. There is no other way to the Father except through Jesus--therefore one must believe upon Him for forgiveness of sins. The possible problem which might arise if one were to go about proclaiming just the love of God and that is it, is that one may then get the impression that God loves everyone just the way they are, which is completely unbiblical.

God does not exist with sin, it is what separates us from Him. When He comes again, it will be to bring His wrath upon the world--something which is not a pleasant thing to talk about and may make people feel uncomfortable. Yet we must not fall into the Satanic trap of only bringing up things which are pleasant and sound agreeable to people. We must not be ashamed of the Gospel message, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that He shed His blood for sinners by His sacrifice on the cross so that those who believe upon Him will have eternal communion with God. Yet if one is not grafted into Christ, their eternal communion with God will be an eternal consuming fire, for that is what God is to those who are not dead to sin and alive only in Him.

The Gospel may sound harsh to some people, it may not be something they want to hear (though once God has given them sight, they will realize it is the best message in the world, the only good news). Yet it is not our job to talk to people of only what they want to hear, but to proclaim the Biblical truth--and to proclaim all of it, not just the nice sounding parts. It is not of our own work anyway which brings people to God, but God that does the work. We don't have to make up a contrived gospel message because we think it might bring more people to God. We must preach what is written in the Bible because that is the only thing which will bring people to God and it is done only by power of God.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

We should be opposed to all sin.

But then of course we have to determine which behaviors actually constitute "sin," while avoiding the pernicious trap of legalism.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

I know of no 'Christians' who are for sinful behaviors, but I know of many who are confused as to what is sinful behavior and what is not.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Steeno7 said:
I know of no 'Christians' who are for sinful behaviors, but I know of many who are confused as to what is sinful behavior and what is not.
I concur. However I will add the clarification this 'confusion' applies to both the 'sinner' and the 'judge'.

For instance, one notes various Christians who judge other Christians as sinful because the 'other Christians' attend 'that denomination'.

Also, I note the original poster has not returned since the initial post. I'd like to know just exactly what sins the OP is citing? Which sins are condemned while allowing which other sins?

Some one suggested the example of condemning homosexuality while allowing fornication (or something similar). Or does the original poster refer to condemning homosexuality while attending church on Sunday vice Saturday?

Upvote 0