Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For those of you who have been to Mount Athos, can you tell me what you observed the monks eating. The monks on Athos are the healthiest on Earth, virtually no cancer, Alzheimers, or heart disease.

I want to keep my mind and body sharp for years to come, if you have any insight into how the monks stay so healthy please illuminate me. I am at a point where I need to change my diet and lifestyle. :)

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have never been to the Holy Mountain yet, but I have been to some of Elder Ephraim's monasteries in the US and they follow what the monks of Athos do. their diet is minimal and vegetarian, and they pray and work a lot. plus, they are constantly going to the sacraments.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Every time that I hear about Mt. Athos, I wish that there was a way to experience being there on a pilgrimage, but - I know that won't be happening! There are plenty of other places to go on a pilgrimage, but I never quite understood the reasoning for total prohibition of women from the island as a whole. But...that's a different topic.

Regarding the topic at hand, it likely is a combination of all of what ArmyMatt said...there are many studies that promote the benefits of a minimal, vegetarian diet, and prayer, working hard and participating in the sacraments all contribute to one's general well-being and health (spiritual and physical).

I can personally say that limiting my meat intake (I only eat fish now) has helped me avoid surgery due to helping minimize severe pain and inflammation. Some studies suggested that doing that could help with the problem I was having, so I decided to try it...and along with prayer, I believe that having a mainly vegetarian diet helped significantly.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,387.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They eat food which has been prayed over constantly from the washing and chopping of ingredients, to the serving on plates.

On a side note, a Cypriot American was diagnosed with advanced inoperable cancer and decided to move back to Cyprus to live out his remaining few days. He recovered and ultimately beat the cancer. Everything he ate was prepared fresh from the garden or local markets. No chemicals/preservatives/pesticides of any kind. It is probably significant that he had also removed all source of stress from his life.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all, I love the idea of eating in a way that honors the body. Yet, prayer and meditation also seem to keys, if I am understanding the hesychastic life correctly.

indeed, if Christ took on humanity, and saved the whole man, then everything about man has been deified. this means the body is included in prayer.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Keep in mind that in general mountain people tend to be healthier than their low lying neighbors. Just walking in more rugged terrain is a better work out than walking on a level sidewalk.

Besides that little tidbit, their diet is traditional mediterrenean. Lots of fish , which they do fry. Of course they use virgin olive oil for everything. Homemade wine, homegrown olives and other organic non gmo vegetables.

Upvote 0