Most essential book of the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Genesis

More realistically, no single book contains enough of the picture on it's own. It's not much good reading the solution (John) without the problem (Genesis) or the other way around. With Genesis and John (and preferable at least the first half of Exodus) you could make a stab at the fundamentals.

If I really had to pick one and only one I think it would have to be Isaiah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think it's the gospel of John.

I tell people who haven't read the scriptures to at least read the gospel of John before they pass the bible over.

Any other ideas?

My advice to someone starting to read the Bible is to start at Proverbs. This is the book that will resonate with anyone - it is not overtly 'religious' but carries sufficient wisdom that will motivate the reader to step a little deeper.

Personally - it has to be John.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i would have to go for genesis... all the fundamentals are there.....

creation...
the fall...
sin...
atonement....
messiah prophesied....
messiah typified....
redemption...
forgiveness...

without genesis, the rest is meaningless.

Steve

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most essential book of the Bible?
Hmmm. The book of the Life? :) :wave:

Scripture4all - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

Rev 21:27 And not no may be entering into Her every *common-thing and one *doing an abomination and falsehood, except those having been written in the scroll/book of the Life of the Lamb-kin.

Revelation 21:27 kai ou mh eiselqh eiV authn pan *koinon kai *poioun bdelugma kai yeudoV ei mh oi gegrammenoi en tw bibliw thV zwhV tou arniou

Kindgdom Bible Studies Lambs Book of Life Part 1

.......According to the Emphatic Diaglott the correct rendering of the latter part of this passage is: "The Book of the Life of the Lamb." Now, what is meant by this term – THE BOOK OF THE LIFE OF THE LAMB? The wise man said, "...of the making of many books there is no end..." (Eccl. 12:12)...............

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I might depend on what you want that person who is on the verge of 'passing the Bible over' to get from it.

Mark would be the most basic and easiest read for him if you want him to have an overview of the life of Jesus, the Bible's primary figure.

But assuming that he knows the general story of Jesus' life while doubting the point of it all, I'd agree that the essential reading should be Romans, because it most effectively explains God's plan of salvation, which is the main point of the Bible.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.