1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Most common verses taken out of context?

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by Masdamind99, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Masdamind99

Masdamind99 MASDAMIND

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    What are some of the most common bible verses that are taken out of context? And please explain its use or meaning in the proper context, if possible. Thanks.

2. ThatWhichIsnt

ThatWhichIsnt evidence trumps all

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    John 3:16 is a good one. It simply states that those who believe in Jesus are given eternal life.

What we are taught it means is that if anyone musters the faith they have inside of them and puts it on Jesus themselved then we are saved. We aren't given eternal life, but rather salvation we have to maintain ourselves.

John 3:16 is actually a great verse to support mongergism, and assurance that all believers have eternal life because it was given to them by God. Once God claims a sinner for himself He doesn't have a return policy.

3. IisJustMe

IisJustMe He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Please clarify: Are you saying that once saved, we have to work to keep it? That brings to mind another one, whether that one is valid or not (which i don't believe it is -- John 3;16 says exactly what it says).

Hebrews 6:4-6 is often quoted as saying you can lose your salvation. That's a lie. Verses 4-6 are part of the entire context of Hebrews 6:1-10, which absolutely verifies one cannot lose their salvation.

4. ThatWhichIsnt

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Absolutely not. You misunderstood me, brother. I say we are taught to believe that salvation and justification are something we can gain and lose at our hearts desire. Obviously, that is false. For those who are saved are saved indeed! We are kept by God, as 1st Peter says.

5. James4_14

James4_14 Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    ***Heb 6:4-6
    4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
    5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
    6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
    ***Heb 10:26

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

It is said that these passages contain the loss of salvation. Nothing could be further from the Truth. The entire book of Hebrews has not salvation in view. It is the race for perfection (not moral) but going for the prize.

Here is the explanation. God gives it. Why not believe it? I do.
    ***Heb 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

The wilderness wandering of Israel is in view and concerns the cause of the wilderness wandering. Joshua and Caleb were the only ones that were "perfected". God always has a faithful remnant.
    The ones that will win the prize/reward are likened to those in chapter 11. Going from babes to full grown.

Here is the context of the entire book:
    ***Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto.......perfection…

Our calling has its OWN prize book and that being Philippians.

6. Eyesee

Eyesee It's all about Jesus

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Imho "Judge not lest you be judged" is the most abused verse out there as far as taking it out of context and perverting the intention...

7. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    In addition, Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians who were considering a return to Judaism because of the rejection of their families and rejection by their synagogues.

Heb 6:4-6 is one of four warnings in the book (4:1-13, 10:19-39, 12:14-28) not to abandon faith in Jesus Christ,
    because if they did, there would be no other sacrifice to save them from the wrath of God on their sin.

Jesus' sacrifice is the only remedy, and they would be forsaking the only remedy for their sin,
    thus they would die in their sin.

They would be rejecting Jesus just as the Jews who had him killed rejected him, and would be crucifying the Lord of Glory all over again.

My favorite summation of Hebrews is "Believe!" (Heb 4:2, 14, 10:23, 32-36, 11:1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 17, 24, 20, 21, 23, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 39, 12:2).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  8. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    Yes, we are not to judge the hearts of others,
    but we are to judge the spirits, doctrine and open sin in the body.

9. IisJustMe

IisJustMe He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, so sorry I misunderstood or called your post into question. Please forgive me.

10. ebedmelech

ebedmelech My dog Micah in the pic Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    :thumbsup:

Here Here!!! You hear it all the time..."you're judging."

All that passage is saying is don't be self righteous in making judgements of others:

Matt 7:1-5 (NASB):

“Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2“For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3“Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4“Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5“You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

It's so easy when you read it in context. :cool:

11. tankerG

tankerG Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Here are some I've heard alot.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Prov. 22:6)
    Commonly interpreted to mean if you raise your child Christian, he will be a Christian for life. Even if he goes astray, this verse is claimed to mean God will bring him back.
    It is more an admonition to parents to find out and nurture the God-given gifts of their children.

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things which is the Head, even Christ." (Eph. 4:15)
    Commonly interpreted as an admonition against offending people. If you offend someone, then you're not speaking the truth.
    It means to speak the truth in a way that helps the hearer become more like Christ. If that truth is "offensive", so be it.

"For where two or three are gathered in my Name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matt. 18:20)
    Typically recited as a blessing on a church service, or that Jesus makes a special visit when there are more than two believers together.
    It has to do with the administration of church discipline. Two or three Christians confronting the sinner have the spirit of Christ alongside them.

12. ThatWhichIsnt

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    No need to apologize!:)

13. Jase

Jase New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Messianic
    Leviticus 18 & 20, Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6:9 are all abused and misunderstood among modern Christianity.

However, discussing those verses in correct context is against the rules, so I won't elaborate further, and no one actually wants to understand them correctly anyway.

Touma likes this.
  14. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    Ro 1:26-27 are pretty clear.

15. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Moderator Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    this was the first verse to come to my mind.

16. Leggomyegolas

Leggomyegolas I can haz popcorn?

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Christian
    Yes! Jesus called the pharisees and scribes vipers and said that their father was the devil. Suppose they were offended? You betcha. Suppose that kept Jesus from saying it anyway? Nope!

17. Jase

Jase New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Messianic
    Actually it isn't. Romans 1 was not written in 21st Century English. And all of Romans 1 and 2 are required to understand the end of Romans 1. Everyone completely ignores Romans 2, and the context and culture in which it's written.

18. ebedmelech

ebedmelech My dog Micah in the pic Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Those are pretty much crystal clear. The only way they aren't is if you don't want them to be.

I'll leave it there.

19. Jase

Jase New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Messianic
    They are not crystal clear. The only way they can be is if you want them to say what you think they say.

The Bible was not written in English or with 21st Century knowledge.

20. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    I don't think I understand why you think Ro 1:26-27 are not clear.
    Would you explain what is not clear about the nature of the practices in those verses:

Ro 1:26-27 - "Because of this (exchanging the truth of God for a lie, v.25), God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even the women exchanged natural desires for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themsevles the due penalty for their perversion."

Descriptions of these practices, as shameful lusts, unnatural desires, inflamed with lust, indecent acts, perversion, are all pretty clear descriptions of the nature of them, don't you think?