"Mortal sins next to impossible to commit"

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Indeed so. But I think you will find that a church where every member considers him or herself part of the magisterium is a protestant one.

Odd...
Please teach us about our faith.
:doh:

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I think you have no idea what your talking about. Lady listen I have the same issue as the writer. I am scrupulous and over came it. I am not part of the magisterium nor claim to be. I do have some authority to teach that I received from 2 universities in Catholic theology that is accredited by the Vatican congregation for the clergy and I do teach adults theology at parishes. Yes Priest can be wrong and we can know thier advice is solid or not. I had to deal with this myself because I had the same issue. Most are good but some are stinkers. Its ok to judge the bad advice given by a priest if that bad advice can help lead your soul to hell.

You are more than welcome to your opinion.

Meanwhile, I remain unmoved. Imo, Catholics (and Anglo Catholics) are not authorised to stand in judgment of their priests.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In Persona Christi or acting in the person of Christ does not mean they can never error while doing those actions. Goodness we have had priest acting in persona Chrisiti that have purposely used improper wording on the altar at consecration(saying things like "This means my body") and the Magisterium has said this can render the sacrament invalid. I suppose the Anglicans are different because they do not have a magisterium like we do.

In persona Christi means, imo, that if we have a problem relating to a sacrament we take it to another priest, in confidence. We do not post all about the failings of our priest on an internet message board because that risks scandal, and scandal is a sin.

Meanwhile, I am Anglo Catholic. I follow St John Vianney's views on the sanctity of the priesthood.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I think it's time to return to the question of the op without any further derailments.

@RileyG
Look if your confessor give you any advice contradicting the catechism I would definitely seek out a new confessor asap.

Some guests at OBOB think otherwise, but I would choose the magisterium over a lone priest any day of the week.
You should also pray for this poor mans soul.

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Imo, Catholics (and Anglo Catholics) are not authorised to stand in judgment of their priests.

It's a hard thing. I think if I get something wrong, I'd like someone to come and tell me that they think I have, and why. I hope I would have the humility to hear it well. (I also hope I would not be the last to know, after half the internet).

But that's different to the situation for the OP, who is looking for genuine help. From what I can see, it's not the OP judging his priest, it's other people responding to the question.

OP, I think your own confessor knows you far better than any of us can. I can see how the comments make sense, given that you say you have a scrupulous conscience. Has your priest explained to you the difference between neurotic and appropriate guilt?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think he also needs to look at the context of what the priest said in the whole view of his history of confessions and what brought on the conversation. Like I said, his priest is not wrong but he is imprecise. I have also explained to students the fine line...it is not easy to commit a mortal sin but it is easy to convince yourself you are not committing one. Those are vitally different but functionally close. It all comes down to your relationship with the truth. And to the very important fact that the reality of sin does not require or approval or agreement that something is a sin. So while it is true that we must know something is a sin for it to be a mortal sin, we do not need to agree it is wrong.

But I think we should not advise our brother to drop a confessor, who knows him and is obviously trying make a point in a large conversation. At least that is how I read it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think we all need to be exceedingly careful what we say on this topic.

We have no idea into what detail RileyG opens himself up to his priest/confessor in his confessions - neither do we know exactly what is said to him - and before anyone jumps down my throat - nor should we - it is all under the seal.

RileyG needs to be with the same Confessor every time and probably also needs time with him outside the confessional to talk about his problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think he also needs to look at the context of what the priest said in the whole view of his history of confessions and what brought on the conversation. Like I said, his priest is not wrong but he is imprecise. I have also explained to students the fine line...it is not easy to commit a mortal sin but it is easy to convince yourself you are not committing one. Those are vitally different but functionally close. It all comes down to your relationship with the truth. And to the very important fact that the reality of sin does not require or approval or agreement that something is a sin. So while it is true that we must know something is a sin for it to be a mortal sin, we do not need to agree it is wrong.

But I think we should not advise our brother to drop a confessor, who knows him and is obviously trying make a point in a large conversation. At least that is how I read it.

in any exchange there are two parts; that of the speaker and that of the one who hears.
With RileyG and his confessor, the school year began the same way it ended--with RileyG having problems with scrupulocity, and with his confessor saying that it would be almost impossible for him to sin. additionally with Summer comming on he will be in a different environment, living in a different place, so now would be a good time to seek a second opinion on the matter. it's as simple as that.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think we all need to be exceedingly careful what we say on this topic.

We have no idea into what detail RileyG opens himself up to his priest/confessor in his confessions - neither do we know exactly what is said to him - and before anyone jumps down my throat - nor should we - it is all under the seal.

RileyG needs to be with the same Confessor every time and probably also needs time with him outside the confessional to talk about his problems.
slightly wrong. the priest is under the seal of the confessional--not RileyG.
RileyG can voluntarily speak of what happened, but he cannot be compelled by someone else to speak of what happened. 1467 & 2490 both say the same thing. the seal of the confessional refers to the priest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
College can be a difficult time with these issues. I am always thankful that the Benedictines who run our Catholic services on campus are great. Since they are right up the street from work my wife and I use a confessor from there.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1) Mortal sins may be difficult for one person to commit and easy for another.

2) If a Priest is not simply a one-time Confessor but a person's spiritual director who is familiar with the specifics of the person's situation, that Priest is in a unique position to make calls on whether a person's sins are mortal or venial (or whether the person has no culpability at all).

3) Nobody but the OP has enough knowledge of this Priest or his thought process to condemn him or his position. I am embarrassed that some posters have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your correction pdudgeon - of course my understanding is so clearly flawed as I'm EC.

I did say , did I not <<We have no idea into what detail RileyG opens himself up to his priest/confessor in his confessions - neither do we know exactly what is said to him>>

Then I added << nor should we - it is all under the seal.>> referring to what the priest says to him in confession.
I also suggested <<also needs time with him outside the confessional to talk about his problems.>>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your correction pdudgeon - of course my understanding is so clearly flawed as I'm EC.

I did say , did I not <<We have no idea into what detail RileyG opens himself up to his priest/confessor in his confessions - neither do we know exactly what is said to him>>

Then I added << nor should we - it is all under the seal.>> referring to what the priest says to him in confession.
I also suggested <<also needs time with him outside the confessional to talk about his problems.>>

thank you for your clarification on the matter.
however your use of the word "All" means all--both sides of the conversation-- not just what the priest says.

and since in your preceeding sentence you introduced the lack of our knowledge as to the detail of RileyG's discussions with his confessor, and then proceeded in the same sentence to also include the fact that we don't know what the confessor said in response, both sides of the conversation were introduced by you into the dicussion.
So the implication of the use of the word "all" in the following sentence was that in conclusion, both sides of the confession were covered under the seal of the confessional.
I merely pointed out that only the priest was obligated under the seal, and not both parties, and added that
the person confessing could not be compelled to reveal what was said, but could volunteer to divulge what they themselves had said.
A priest (being the one under the seal of the confession) is the person who can neither volunteer nor be compelled to divulge what was said under the seal of the confessional.
And i added the appropriate citations so that it could be confirmed that both refrences refer only to the priest as being under the seal of the confessional, and not to both parties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is it that college seems to be a place of spiritual struggle I wonder.
College can be a difficult time with these issues. I am always thankful that the Benedictines who run our Catholic services on campus are great. Since they are right up the street from work my wife and I use a confessor from there.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Why is it that college seems to be a place of spiritual struggle I wonder.

The first time many have to go to Church on their own. Lots of changes and new freedoms. Choices. Pressure to reject what is seen as not intellectual. At the same time some of the most amazing faith filled people I have met have been students.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
That doesn't sound right at all. I'm a conservative, orthodox Christian, and I know I have knowingly and deliberately committed mortal sin. It isn't hard for the Christian to do. I'd say it's hard for the non-Christian to do, though. For example, when I committed adultery, I knew what I was doing, was convicted, and pushed it aside and did it anyways, knowing full well how serious it was. That's just one of many examples.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
one of the things i realized last night when thinking about this is that in the world we seldom hear about the 10 Commandments any more. It's as though they are no longer on the radar of the world.

Instead it's the 'me generation' grown up, living large and in charge,
and bringing up their children to disrespect authority that we have to deal with now.

So yes, it's no wonder that this attitude of the world infiltrates the church, and pushes aside the idea of sin of any kind--mortal or venial. Add that to the above-mentioned normal college adjustments, and we have a recipe for trouble.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0