Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Lost_Sheep said:
I've read posts in which people mention praying at night and in the morning. What prayers do you/they say? Are they the same prayers every day? What would be good prayers for someone who has just entered the "inquirer" phase?

Any prayers are good prayers! The ones that people are probably referring to are what's called the Liturgy of the Hours or the Divine Office. They can be found online here: http://www.universalis.com/-500/today.htm They change based on the day, and go along with the liturgical year.

If I were you, I would just begin developing a routine of prayer. It will probably be something less extensive than the LoH, and that is fine. The key is not quantity, but consistency.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Carrye said:
Any prayers are good prayers! The ones that people are probably referring to are what's called the Liturgy of the Hours or the Divine Office. They can be found online here: http://www.universalis.com/-500/today.htm They change based on the day, and go along with the liturgical year.

If I were you, I would just begin developing a routine of prayer. It will probably be something less extensive than the LoH, and that is fine. The key is not quantity, but consistency.

So tempting to start a thread for the DO....

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Totally off topic, but Tonks, your sig reminded me of a book I was reading last week by St. Peter Julian Eymard called How to Get More Out of Holy Communion.

An excerpt: "Yet Jesus Christ does even more; He comes to us under the appearance of bread. Who can be afraid of a grain of wheat? Could God find a better way to veil His majesty? See how easy and delightful communion with our Lord now becomes. Because Jesus Christ is hidden in the Eucharist, you can come near to Him and hear His divine promise. Otherwise, one word from Him would make the world tremble with terror, as on Mount Sinai. One word of love would inflame and consume us, one word of menace annihilate us" (p.64).

Upvote 0
Oh yes! A daily offering is a wondrous and important devotion to practice. By doing this we sanctify our whole day and all the days of our life - so that our whole life becomes a 'living prayer'. As St. paul tells us in Scripture: "whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." -Col. 3:17

MORNING OFFERING: "O Jesus, through the Immculate Heart of Your Holy Mother Mary, I offer You all of my prayers, my works, my joys and my sufferings, and all that this day may bring be they good or bad, and in union with the Sacrifice of the Mass today: For love of God, the reparation of sins, the conversion of sinners and for the relief of the poor souls in Purgatory. And for the grace to bear every cross it pleases God to send me this day."

NIGHT PRAYERS: "Eternal Father, I offer You the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with all its love, all its sufferings and all its merits.
First: To expiate all the sins I have commited this day and during all my life. Glory be to the Father, etc.
Second: To purify the good I have done poorly this day and during my whole life. Glory be to the Father, etc.
Third: To supply for the good I ought to have done, and that I have neglected this day and all my life. Glory be to the Father, etc."

*History: Soon after the death of a certain Poor Clare nun,
she appeared to her abbess, who was praying for her, and
said: "I went straight to Heaven because I paid all my debts
by virtue of this prayer."

Upvote 0

Lynn

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tonks said:
So tempting to start a thread for the DO....

The Divine Office has been such a comfort for me over the past few weeks. It frames my day, gives me discipline, and has led me to a great appreciation of the psalms.

I would encourage everyone to practice this devotion!

blessings, lynn

Upvote 0

Lost_Sheep

Jan 27, 2006
✟428.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Carrye said:
Any prayers are good prayers! The ones that people are probably referring to are what's called the Liturgy of the Hours or the Divine Office.
What are some common prayers that most Catholics know? I saw a Catholic prayer book at the Catholic book store today and think I might get it if you all think it would help.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.