Mormons Keep Affiliation With Boy Scouts Despite Decision Allowing Gay Leaders

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Looks like the Mormons are indirectly supporting gays in the Boy Scouts.

"The Mormon church — the nation's largest sponsor of Boy Scout units — is keeping its longtime affiliation with the organization despite its decision to allow gay troop leaders.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced the decision Wednesday in a news release. Church leaders decided to stay with Boy Scouts after getting assurances they can appoint troop leaders according to their own religious and moral values."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...despite-decision-allowing-gay-leaders-n416351

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Most of the alternatives to the Boy Scouts are unfavorable to Mormons, so they are either stuck with the Boy Scouts or they would have to start their own system.

...which the church could quite easily do if it came to it.

We could survive losing the Boy Scouts, but the Boy Scouts could not survive losing our sponsorship.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

We could survive losing the Boy Scouts, but the Boy Scouts could not survive losing our sponsorship.
That's true. And, if the Mormons were forced to have gay leaders in their scout troops, they would certainly leave.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
That's true. And, if the Mormons were forced to have gay leaders in their scout troops, they would certainly leave.

...and it'd be a very noisy exit too, possibly with legal action over the matter in order to establish case law concerning freedom of association and religious rights.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I was in the Scouts for 8 years and three different counsels and never met a LDS sponsored troop, but you keep going with that.

The LDS church previously stated if the Scouts accept Gay leaders, they would withdraw and take all their Mormon scouts with them. It looks like they changed their minds and reversed the tough talk.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I was in the Scouts for 8 years and three different counsels and never met a LDS sponsored troop, but you keep going with that.

The Mormon church charters 1/3 of Boy Scout troops, all young men are automatically enrolled and dues paid for by the church. Loosing that sponsorship would be devastating for BSA.

Upvote 0

moleowner

Nov 29, 2008
New Zealand
✟8,552.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Ironhold said:

Ironhold said:
...and it'd be a very noisy exit too, possibly with legal action over the matter in order to establish case law concerning freedom of association and religious rights.

At work at the moment but I will supply interesting info on Mormons and Boy scouts soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Boy scouts, Mormon or not, are being sent the message that gay is ok. While Mormons may not allow gay scout leaders (for now), they're still going to interact and associate with troops that do.

I'm surprised at the Mormon decision on this. (And please, I'm not Mormon bashing). It's just another example of society defining the Church instead of the Church defining society.

Reactions: Audock
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moleowner

Nov 29, 2008
New Zealand
✟8,552.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the Mormons are just remembering back to their previous descimination case involving the Boy Scouts in July 1974. At the time a 12 year old boy was denied a senior patrol leadership in his troop because at the time the Mormon troop policy was that to be a patrol leader you had to be a deacon's quorum president in the LDS church and to be a deacon's quorum president you had to be ..um ..err .. not black! The NAACP (apparently a pro coloured organisation) was taking this to court. But as the Salt Lake Tribune of 3/8/1974 (3rd August to you Americans) said.

"Shortly before Boy Scout officials were to appear in Federal Court Friday morning on charges of discrimination, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a policy change which will allow black youths to be senior patrol leaders, a position formerly reserved for white LDS youths in troops sponsored by the church.... An LDS Church spokesman said Friday under the "guidelines set forth in the statement, a young man other than president of the deacons quorum could (now) become the senior patrol leader if he is better qualified"

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Boy scouts, Mormon or not, are being sent the message that gay is ok. While Mormons may not allow gay scout leaders (for now), they're still going to interact and associate with troops that do.

I'm surprised at the Mormon decision on this. (And please, I'm not Mormon bashing). It's just another example of society defining the Church instead of the Church defining society.

The LDS has retracted a lot of its positions over the years, altered its doctrine, admitted certain documents are not reliable. It is an example of Mormons defining their beliefs instead of Bible-based authentic Christianity defining Mormonism.

Upvote 0

jackcv

Oct 30, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
✟9,132.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Gay (SSAD - Same Sex Attraction Disorder) is OK.

Sexual promiscuity is not OK. Lifestyles that introduce and spread viral new diseases through the human gene pool, destabilize the family, and promote predatory behavior toward men, women and children are not OK. It's really pretty simple.

As the smoke and fire clear and the dust settles, we will see the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, guided by living prophets, continuing to do what God in heaven has generally done: teach and defend the moral, physical, intellectual and spiritual laws that lead to a happy life, then (with tears in the eyes) allow misguided and foolish people to hurt themselves doing otherwise.

As Stephen Covey said, one cannot break true principles. One can only break oneself on them.

Reactions: jeanetteflint
Upvote 0

Audock

Mar 17, 2013
United States
✟15,116.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I like the way you put this ("It's just another example of society defining the Church instead of the Church defining society"). I grew up Mormon and this is THE defining part of their history since the death of Brigham Young; society defines that church.

Whether it was polygyny (the form of polygamy the LDS deity commanded), racism, the changing requirements of Temple Garments, or other shifting societal issues none matter because society and acceptance in that society are paramount when compared to edicts of the LDS deity? It's all about the money. Lawsuits cost money and some gay couple are high income earners.

I have been on short term (1-2 week) mission trips in 3rd world countries since 1984. I have never seen an LDS Missionary in the dump of Guatemala City , the slums of Panama City (Panama), or the ghettos of Santa Cruz (Bolivia). There is a reason; there is no money to had there. I have, however, seen Assembly of God, Southern Baptist, Presbyterian, Independent Charismatic, and Methodists in areas like these.

Eventually, I believe we will see a slow acceptance in LDS Church of the gay lifestyle and ultimately a re-acceptance of polygymous marriages. My prayer is that all branches of Mormonism go the way Armstrongism. Armstrongism did a very courageous thing and the LDS Church can too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cedric1200

Jesus is King
Sep 6, 2014
Colville, WA
✟16,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why is this a problem?

If the church is going to not want gay people to lead boy scouts, shouldn't they not want other people that don't hold the values of Christian teaching to also not want to lead boy scouts?

I don't think the Mormons are saying that it's OK to be gay.

Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
If the Morman
So do y'all dislike gay people that much or just enjoy holding your money over their heads in some kind of power trip?

I think what most people "hate" who take God and the New Testament seriously, is that they hate to see sexual immorality legalized by their highest court under the guise of "civil rights" and thereby shoved down their throats by soon to arrive "hate speech" legislation which is going to completely muzzle anyone who would verbally or otherwise disagree that same gender sex is moral, or that same gender marriage is a "right".

Reactions: Rocmonkey
Upvote 0