LDS Mormons, did Heavenly Father and Jesus have celestial marriages?

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Can you tell us about this?

Discussion on your "saves" thread leads me to think Celestial Marraige was practiced during the time of the Saivor's mortal ministry.

Read it again. Here is what Jesus says: " Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

The key is that there is somebody who is LEAST in Heaven. There are ranks in heaven. The least in heaven is greater than the greatest on earth, but there are greater and lesser in heaven. That's what that text tells us.

Which means that everybody in heaven is not equal. There are the greater in heaven, and there are the lesser in heaven. Just as there are greater and lesser angels, there are (or will be) greater and lesser humans. Which means that everybody isn't equal in Heaven, and we know that for a fact because Jesus said so.

Thank you for your keen observation; John's lesser status must be of his own choosing not to get married.

... In order to obtain the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom, marriage must be in place first. And that marriage must happen in this life. Jesus taught us in Matt 22:30 (see also Mark 12:25)

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven”

This is expanded a bit in Luke 20:34-35

“And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:”

From these teachings we know that marriage is a work that must be accomplished in this life. Marriage will not be performed on resurrected beings.
However, we also know from latter-day teachings that those who are worthy and willing, but do not have the chance for marriage, will not be deprived of exaltation. ... http://askgramps.org/will-single-sisters-able-marry-celestial-kingdom/

John's assignment means Celestial Marriage was available during his lifetime and he choose to remain single. All, with rare exception, will ultimately enjoy a glorious eternal life!

Celestial Marriage was apparently being performed in the Temples during Christ's ministry. Thank you again for adding to my understanding. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Discussion on your "saves" thread leads me to think Celestial Marraige was practiced during the time of the Saivor's mortal ministry.

Thank you for your keen observation; John's lesser status must be of his own choosing not to get married.

... In order to obtain the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom, marriage must be in place first. And that marriage must happen in this life. Jesus taught us in Matt 22:30 (see also Mark 12:25)

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven”

This is expanded a bit in Luke 20:34-35

“And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:”

From these teachings we know that marriage is a work that must be accomplished in this life. Marriage will not be performed on resurrected beings.
However, we also know from latter-day teachings that those who are worthy and willing, but do not have the chance for marriage, will not be deprived of exaltation. ... http://askgramps.org/will-single-sisters-able-marry-celestial-kingdom/

John's assignment means Celestial Marriage was available during his lifetime and he choose to remain single. All, with rare exception, will ultimately enjoy a glorious eternal life!

Celestial Marriage was apparently being performed in the Temples during Christ's ministry. Thank you again for adding to my understanding. :)

The bolded is absolutely false. Consider Matthew 19:11-12 regarding eunuchs.

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word [whether or not it is good to marry in verses 1-10], but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Eunuchs generally do/did not marry and cannot or choose not to reproduce. Yet Jesus said it is acceptable. So it is a false statement that marriage "must be accomplished in this life".

Upvote 0

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The bolded is absolutely false. Consider Matthew 19:11-12 regarding eunuchs.

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word [whether or not it is good to marry in verses 1-10], but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Eunuchs generally do/did not marry and cannot or choose not to reproduce. Yet Jesus said it is acceptable. So it is a false statement that marriage "must be accomplished in this life".

Eunuchs never marry,
so it doesn't apply to them. :)

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eunuchs never marry,
so it doesn't apply to them. :)
So eunuchs are denied the highest level of the celestial kingdom, even if they choose to live as a eunuch "for the sake of the kingdom of heaven" and they have Jesus' approval? That's weird.

Even more weird is the fact that, by your rules, Jesus isnt even eligible to be there either, since he was not married.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You're asking about something that you yourself should know the theology hasn't answered yet.

Whether or not it has been answered may be something you haven't learned. If temple marriage isn't a commandment for "the gods," then Mormon humans don't have to marry either because the Mormons teach that their members should strive to be like Christ.

GOD IS NOW AN EXALTED MAN WITH POWERS OF ETERNAL INCREASE

(1-4) Our Father in Heaven Lives in an Exalted Marriage Relationship

“No matter to what heights God has attained or may attain, he does not stand alone; for side by side with him, in all her glory, a glory like unto his, stands a companion, the Mother of his children. For as we have a Father in heaven, so also we have a Mother there, a glorified, exalted, ennobled Mother.” (Melvin J. Ballard, as quoted in Bryant S. Hinckley, Sermons and Missionary Services of Melvin J. Ballard, pp. 205-6.)
Achieving a Celestial Marriage Student Manual, p. 129

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
So eunuchs are denied the highest level of the celestial kingdom, even if they choose to live as a eunuch "for the sake of the kingdom of heaven" and they have Jesus' approval? That's weird.

Even more weird is the fact that, by your rules, Jesus isnt even eligible to be there either, since he was not married.

What he was trying to say was "Those who do not marry through no fault of their own will not have it counted against them."

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
No. I think the Holy Spirit wants you to start looking at what is the truth and getting away from that other stuff.

I've already found the truth.

Why do you want me to leave it for what I regard to be falsehood?

If my remark stings, remember that I'm simply turning your words back around.

Upvote 0

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Not necessarily, the eunuchs may yet choose vicarious marriage in the after life before or during the millennium prior to their resurrection.

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Millennium

King James Bible John 14:12
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Elias was among those that appeared on the mount of transfiguration. :)

The timing of his restoration of these important keys is most curios.

... To the very day, the Easter of 1836 completed a Jewish calendar realignment interval of 1,803 years since the Easter of A.D. 33.[13] This fact has two consequences. First, the Jewish calendar would begin to repeat for several years.[14] Secondly, it means that the Easter of 1836 was calendrically the most similar in history to the Easter of A.D. 33. And if the earth's orbit continues unchanged, that Easter should retain this distinction for another three thousand years, when a better realignment interval is due.

From an astronomer's point of view, this is no small coincidence. This result seems to clearly support the conclusion that it was not a matter of chance that Elijah's return occurred on an Easter Sunday that was also 3 April and 16 Nisan, which is calendrically the same as the proposed date of the Resurrection. But before discussing some possible reasons for such an occurrence, let us discuss a second astronomical aspect of the timing of Elijah's return. ...

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds/easter/elijah.html

Jesus could of wed in mortality or vicariously before His resurrection.

Upvote 0

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is from the "Saves" thread, but is more closely related to the topic of this thread.

You are correct and scripture does in fact prove mormon error because it plainly states that Jesus was called "invited" to the wedding as His mother and others......

John 2 :
1 And the third day, was there a marriage in Cana a town of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.

2 And Jesus was called also, and his disciples unto the marriage.

3 Now when the wine failed, the mother of Jesus said unto him, They have no wine.

Weird that you quote from the GNV; not that it makes any difference in this case. All versions don't read smoothly for us poor souls who only speak English.

Orson Hyde apparently was fluent in many languages per his transcript leading up to his Cana remarks. :)

... Have you ever read your Bibles? I must confess I have not read it for some time, but looked more to Him who rules on high, and to those who hold the words of life in the inspiration of the Holy Ghost; I look to them more frequently than to it. I have once memorized the Bible, and when anyone quoted one verse, I could quote the next. I have memorized it in English, German, and Hebrew, still I do not profess to be very familiar with it now, yet the sentiments and spirit of it are in my heart, and will be as long as I live, and still [p. 82a]remain when I am gone to another sphere. When does it say the Savior was married? I believe I will read it for your accommodation, or you might not believe my words were I to say that there is indeed such a Scripture.

http://scriptures.byu.edu/jod/jodhtml.php?vol=02&disc=18

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What he was trying to say was "Those who do not marry through no fault of their own will not have it counted against them."
Come on now, when he said Jesus wasn't married, that is not your true theology. You believe that Jesus had three wives.

Upvote 0