✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
JaneKaty13 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was informed that the undergarments that adult Mormons wear at all times are for the purpose that Mormons dress modestly so as to cover the underwear. But maybe I was misinformed.
That may be a result of the garments, but not the reason for wearing them.

Try googling mormon temple garments and read for yourself.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JaneKaty13 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was informed that the undergarments that adult Mormons wear at all times are for the purpose that Mormons dress modestly so as to cover the underwear. But maybe I was misinformed.
Yes, you were misinformed. that is the outcome of wearing the garments but that is not the reason for wearing them.
lds-mormon.org has some information on this.

Upvote 0

Doc T

Senior Veteran
Oct 28, 2003
✟5,246.00
Faith
Mormon
JaneKaty13 said:

JaneKaty, if you want correct information, you might best make sure that the person responding to you has the little icon of the angel Moroni in the upper right hand corner.

While that is not the only reason, certainly what you have been told is correct in principle.

Doc

~

Upvote 0
JaneKaty13 said:
What is this icon to which you refer? You mean the angel people can put in their posts, like this :angel: ?
He means the faith icon, its actually on the top left. Look for the angel Moroni, hold your cusor over it and it will say Mormon, that is who you should listen to if you want to know what we teach, and not what others say we teach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
Doc T said:
JaneKaty, if you want correct information, you might best make sure that the person responding to you has the little icon of the angel Moroni in the upper right hand corner.

While that is not the only reason, certainly what you have been told is correct in principle.

Doc

~
No, dont do that. The only thing the little "angel of light" means is that you are speaking to someone who is still bound by the un-truths of mormonism and still will perpetrate them further. I for one am an ex-mormon and took my garments off some time ago. I would be happy to explain them to you including the marks and the meaning of them. Let me know if you want this info. You will not get full answer on this issue by a mormon as they are forbidden to reveal the secrets behind the marks and meanings.

Upvote 0

Katzpur

Sep 23, 2004
Salt Lake City
✟7,925.00
Faith
Mormon
happyinhisgrace said:
Like I said, the differences. Christianity embraces the cross of Jesus as a symbol of what He did for us. It is a symbol of love, compasion, devotion, selflessness, charity, redemption, and saving Grace.

When LDS will not allow crosses to be used in their churches, that speaks a great deal to me about how lds view the symbol of Christ's atonement for man.
Mormonism embraces the resurrection of Jesus as infinitely more important than the means by which He was tortured to death. Of course it was through His atoning sacrifice that we are promised forgiveness of our sins. We value that sacrifice every bit as much as you do, whether you believe we do or not. But it was not in dying, per se, that He gave us eternal life. It was in conquering death. We believe that He would much rather have us focus on him rising in majesty and glory from the tomb than hanging mutilated and dying on the cross. If the cross serves a purpose for you in symbolizing love, compassion, devotion, selflessness, charity, redemption and saving grace, that's fine. I have no problem with that and would not presume to imply that your use of this symbol makes your belief any less sincere or devout than mine. So why can't you accept that our choice not to use it is simply a preference and implies nothing in terms of our love for our Savior and our gratitude for His sacrifice?

Upvote 0

unbound

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2004
✟17,431.00
Faith
Christian
JaneKaty13 said:
He's blowing a horn, right?

JaneKaty, the best way to get a completely honest description of everything mormon, is to talk to an ex-mormon.

The active LDS have a bad habit of witholding information from you.

Even marriage in thier temple is not open for family and friends to attend.

At first, the made-for- flesh LDS doctrine tastes OK like a bowl of cereal with sour milk, then as a little time passes, you get a sick uneasy feeling, and it all comes spewing back out. And the moral to the story is? Be able to know sour milk before you drink of it.

Upvote 0

Katzpur

Sep 23, 2004
Salt Lake City
✟7,925.00
Faith
Mormon
CrownCaster said:
No, dont do that. The only thing the little "angel of light" means is that you are speaking to someone who is still bound by the un-truths of mormonism and still will perpetrate them further. I for one am an ex-mormon and took my garments off some time ago. I would be happy to explain them to you including the marks and the meaning of them. Let me know if you want this info. You will not get full answer on this issue by a mormon as they are forbidden to reveal the secrets behind the marks and meanings.
JaneKaty,

If you wanted to know the truth about Jesus Christ, would you ask Judas Iscariot for his point of view? You are, of course, free to believe whomever you wish to believe, but I think you will find the LDS people on this board to be honest with your about their beliefs. Many of the non-LDS people here have participated in the ordinances performed in the temples. Although they have since left the Church, and no longer believe its teachings, every one of them knows that in speaking of things they once held sacred, they are breaking a promise they once made to God in good faith. To me, that is significant.

About the garments: For the life of me, I cannot understand the fascination over somebody else's underwear, but maybe my interests just lie elsewhere. ;)

Kathryn

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
Katzpur said:
JaneKaty,

If you wanted to know the truth about Jesus Christ, would you ask Judas Iscariot for his point of view?
Oooh, nice dig there.

I would have to follow up with this, going to a mormon for a factual answer to what mormonism is like would be akin to asking hitler for a factual look at the holocaust. You are not going to get the truth.

Oh, and yes I made promises in the temple but luckily I now know that the only god in that whole thing is the god of this world and I dont feel too beholden to him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
THE SQUARE

[size=+1]The square is a symbol located on the right breast area of the Mormon underwear, officially called the "garment of the Holy Priesthood." The garment is worn by all temple Mormons as "a shield and a protection to you from the power of the destroyer until you have finished your work on the earth." [/size][size=+1]1

A close examination of the garment reveals two button holes sewn in the shape of a square reminding the Mormon of the "need for exactness and honor in living up to his temple vows." 2

Evidence shows that the square was originally taken from the Masonic ritual where the Fellowcraft candidate (2nd degree--Blue Lodge) is challenged on his naked right breast by the point of the square. According to Masonic tradition, the candidate is originally taught that the square is both "a symbol of morality" and the "emblem of a Master Mason." 3

msquare.gif
[/size]

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
[size=+3]THE COMPASS[/size]
mcompgar.gif

[size=+1]The compass is a symbol located on the left breast area of the Mormon underwear, officially called the "garment of the Holy Priesthood." The garment is worn by all temple Mormons as "a shield and a protection to you from the power of the destroyer until you have finished your work on the earth." [/size][size=+1]1

A close look at the garment reveals a pair of button holes sewn in the shape of a "V." The compass reminds the Mormon "...that all Truth may be circumscribed into one great whole, and that all appetites and passions must be kept within certain bounds which the Lord has prescribed." 2

Evidence shows that the compass was originally taken from the Masonic ritual where the Entered Apprentice candidate (1st degree--Blue Lodge) is challenged on his naked left breast by the point of the compass. According to Masonic tradition, the candidate is originally taught that the compass is "...the most prominent emblem of virtue, the true and only measure of a Freemason's life and conduct." 3[/size]

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
THE GAUGE
mgauge.gif

[size=+1]The "navel mark" or gauge is a horizontal buttonhole sewn into the fabric of the Mormon undergarment. Along with the Masonic symbols of the square, compass, and knee marking, the navel mark is considered sacred.

According to Chuck Sackett, author of What's Going On In There? and former Temple worker, the navel mark "recalls the need of constant nourishment for body and spirit. In the early Mormon Temple ceremonies some of the marks were cut into the garment with a small knife while on the patron's body, thus knicking his flesh and shedding his blood into the garment."
[/size]
[size=+1]1
[/size]

[size=+1]The navel mark resembles a gauge or ruler. William Schnoebelen tells us, " [the navel mark] is the Masonic symbol for the 'Middle Pillar' of the Qabalistic Tree of Life. Just as the right and left hand parts of the body in occultism are male and female respectively; so the Middle Pillar corresponds to the center of the body--the head, solar plexus, navel and genitals." [/size][size=+1]2
[/size]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.