Doc T

Senior Veteran
Oct 28, 2003
✟5,246.00
Faith
Mormon
Magisterium said:
Hey,
I heard somewhere that mormons in full fellowship or communion (or whatever it's called) are obliged to wear some kind of monogram on their underwear for some sort of spiritual identification purposes... Is this true, or just a rediculous rumor?

Yes, it's a big "T" that is monogramed on the right sleeve. It's somewhat like the fish that non-LDS Christans use to identify other Christians. That's why we call them "Team" underwear.

:cool:

Doc

~

Upvote 0

Magisterium

Praying and Thinking
Jan 22, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟1,813.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Doc T said:
Yes, it's a big "T" that is monogramed on the right sleeve. It's somewhat like the fish that non-LDS Christans use to identify other Christians. That's why we call them "Team" underwear.

Doc

~

hmmm,

What's the significance of the "T"? Is it an allusion to the cross by any chance? And you said "on the right sleeve", does this monogram have to be located there, or can it be embroidered elsewhere for convenience?

Upvote 0

Jason of Wyoming

Aug 17, 2004
Wyoming
✟1,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Magisterium said:
hmmm,

What's the significance of the "T"? Is it an allusion to the cross by any chance? And you said "on the right sleeve", does this monogram have to be located there, or can it be embroidered elsewhere for convenience?
Doc's just fooling with you. He actually cannot speak about it, because it would violate his temple oath.

There is no "T" on the temple garments. There's a reverse "L" and a "V" and two horozontal lines "-" on it. That's all.

Upvote 0

Jason of Wyoming

Aug 17, 2004
Wyoming
✟1,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
greedy_goddess said:
Really? wow that just shows how much I know about my religion...but then again I don't clam myself to be a RIGHTEOUS living Mormon either.
Melisa
Don't feel bad. Many mormons (especially those who haven't attended the temple) are rather uneducated in their faith.

Most of the LDS on this board (and on the internet in general) are more educated. So you'll soon catch up.

Upvote 0

GOD'S ARMY

Jun 7, 2004
Vallejo, CA
✟8,107.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doc T said:

Doc

~
We find out if other people are Mormon by saying, "Hey Doc, let me see your underwear!"

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doc T said:

Doc

~
The christian fish example would not apply, unless of course, lds show each other their underwear markings to identify themselves as LDS.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Magisterium said:
hmmm,

no. you will not find an "allusion to the cross" on any lds symbols. No crosses on their churches, their garments, their lds scriptures or in their sanquaries (this includes the lds temples). Nope, no crosses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Magisterium

Praying and Thinking
Jan 22, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟1,813.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
happyinhisgrace said:
no. you will not find an "allusion to the cross" on any lds symbols. No crosses on their churches, their garments, their lds scriptures or in their sanquaries (this includes the lds temples). Nope, no crosses.
Is this an intentional suppression of our lord's passion, death, and ressurection for our sins? What exactly is the theological rationale behind removing the central and defining symbol of our Lord's life?

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Magisterium said:
Is this an intentional suppression of our lord's passion, death, and ressurection for our sins? What exactly is the theological rationale behind removing the central and defining symbol of our Lord's life?
LDS purposefully do not use the cross. There reasoning is "if Jesus was killed with a gun, would you display a gun". They say they don't focus on his death but rather his ressurection and life and the cross is the symbol of his death.

Upvote 0

Doc T

Senior Veteran
Oct 28, 2003
✟5,246.00
Faith
Mormon
happyinhisgrace said:
LDS purposefully do not use the cross. There reasoning is "if Jesus was killed with a gun, would you display a gun". They say they don't focus on his death but rather his ressurection and life and the cross is the symbol of his death.

Perhaps it would be better to say that some LDS use this reasoning. I for one do not and do not find the cross offensive, though I have chosen not to wear one, but choose other things to remind me of the sacrifice and resurrection of my Lord and Savior.

Doc

~

Upvote 0

Jason of Wyoming

Aug 17, 2004
Wyoming
✟1,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
happyinhisgrace said:
Im sure our LDS friends would agree with that more or less.

I personally always thought that the cross was a symbol that more represented the "great apostasy" than Christ's passion/atonement. (In fact, before I became a Christian, I didn't even know it was called His "Passion".)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Magisterium

Praying and Thinking
Jan 22, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟1,813.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
happyinhisgrace said:
Hmmm,
That's a peculiar perspective. However, how can one focus on the ressurection without acknowledging the death? Even in scripture, Jesus himself says if any man wishes to come after him, to "take up His cross". The Cross is so important also because even in our own lives, death to our own will and old ways of living MUST come before we can begin to fully live anew in and with Christ.

It seems very odd to me for any Christian to willfully suppress the cross and still expect to embrace the things which come after it...

Upvote 0

Jason of Wyoming

Aug 17, 2004
Wyoming
✟1,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doc T said:
You were a little sheltered weren't you? Ah, maybe it's just because your still a kid. ;)

Doc

~
Correct me if you will, but I've never heard any LDS use the word "Passion" when referring to Christ's atoning sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Alma

Jul 8, 2003
Kolob
Visit site
✟898.00
Faith
Mormon
Magisterium said:
Hmmm,
That's a peculiar perspective. However, how can one focus on the resurrection without acknowledging the death? Even in scripture, Jesus himself says if any man wishes to come after him, to "take up His cross". The Cross is so important also because even in our own lives, death to our own will and old ways of living MUST come before we can begin to fully live anew in and with Christ.
Mormons do acknowledge the death of Christ on the cross and believe it was an essential element of the atonement as well as the whole plan of salvation. I think you'd see a similar perspective towards the cross as that held by Mormons in Byzantine Greek Christianity. If you go to very early cathedrals, you won't see the cross, or Jesus on the cross. You'll see depictions of the risen Lord.

It seems very odd to me for any Christian to willfully suppress the cross and still expect to embrace the things which come after it...
I personally believe that one reason the LDS Church doesn't use the cross is the same reason that they don't have other icons in their churches. You won't even see a picture of Christ inside an LDS chapel (unless it's very old.) I think they're uncomfortable with the idea that having objects such as a cross or a statue runs the risk of people venerating that replica of the cross or the statue. I have seen people kiss a cross as if that replica held some intrinsic value rather than as a reminder of Christ and his death for us.

Alma

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jason the Evangelist said:
Correct me if you will, but I've never heard any LDS use the word "Passion" when referring to Christ's atoning sacrifice.
Jason, I never heard it reffered to as "Christ's passion" either when I was lds. You, just like myself, were indeed sheltered, sheltered from the truth of God. I had such a distorted view of Christianity when I was LDS. I had the LDS view of it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.