Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Oh we are having 'fun' this year

OK - remember I am talking Julian Calendar

Great and Holy Week - Tuesday is Annunciation so we have Divine Liturgy of St John. GodPapa and I are busy [ well he is -I just proof read and type up some stuff at his request - he puts it all together ] prepping things .

We hit on a good question - vestment colour

OK G&H Week - normally in dark BUT this is Great Feast so what colour should we be using ?

Both Priests I know well have nice dark vestments [ admittedly I think one set is better than the other - but they are both nice ] and both have plenty of bright vestments - but are blue really appropriate ?

Neither of us were 100% convinced that the Great Feast should 'trump' the penitential aspect of the Week so had thought 'dark' however my Orthodox priest friend said 'bright' but we don't know if that's the difference between Greek practice [ him] and Slavic [ us ]

Your thoughts ?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A comment from my GodPapa the other day , when we'd been discussing some of the problems with the Feast coming up in Great and Holy Week

You are well aware that I have a few liturgical books. OK, I have quite a few. I also go on about wanting/needing more. But at times I think I have too many to keep track of..........

..Oh, what's this additional rubric in the maroon book? 'When instructed to read only three lessons, we use numbers 1, 4 and 5 from the list above.' Oh. *checks* SJKP gives references for lessons 1, 2 and 3. Ah. The only places I can double-check that are in Church-Slavonic Typica, and 1) I don't have the mental patience for it, and 2) I'm not curious enough to overcome 1). Thankfully I spotted the rubric before typing out any of the readings in Ukrainian. Unfortunately, two of the ones you did for me last night have been discarded. Sorry.
.......BTW, any year Annunciation falls on Holy Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Pascha I shall run off to a monastery for that week and let others worry about it all!

I'll be glad when things are finally ready.

You may ask - why do we do this ?

Well - that's simple - there's a shortage of bi-lingual books and everything that GodPapa and I do is bi-lingual and not on facing pages either - each page is bilingual and he's fussy enough about it to see that it all matches up beeeeautifully - this means I can help someone or be helped - get lost and a finger can be dropped to the appropriate verse/troparion etc and the 'lost' one is lost no more.

Upvote 0