Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"I can improve upon the morality of the Bible if I copy it word for word and then reverse its position on slavery." -Matt Dillahunty

I believe that when it comes to morality, atheism defeats theism simply by remaining silent. Abrahamic religions contain commandments, concessions and/or encouragements for all of the following:

Abortion Numbers 5:11-31
Rape Deuteronomy 22:28-29
Slavery Leviticus 25:44-46
Genocide 1 Samuel 15:2-3
Mass murder Genesis 7

Compounding the problem is 1 John 3:4, which says,

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

The law is the law of Moses. Therefore, I have my doubts when a Christian claims that certain laws of the Old Testament are a covenant between Jehovah and Israel while other laws in the Old Testament are absolute and/or eternal. If this is your position, please list for us the laws which have expired and I will assume that all other laws are still in effect. If your position on morality is more complicated than that, please elucidate it and we will engage from there.

The identifiable argument of this thread:

1.) If Biblical morality (the law) can be improved, then it is from man and not from God.
2.) The law can be improved.
3.) The law is from man and not from God.
4.) We are not accountable to the law.
5.) Christ's death and resurrection, if they occurred, were pointless.
6.) Christianity is pointless.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"I can improve upon the morality of the Bible if I copy it word for word and then reverse its position on slavery." -Matt Dillahunty
Too bad so many people, including Christians, think they understand God, since that it what is needed to always correctly interpret the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe that when it comes to morality, atheism defeats theism simply by remaining silent. Abrahamic religions contain commandments, concessions and/or encouragements for all of the following:

Mass murder Genesis 7

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

The law is the law of Moses. Therefore, I have my doubts when a Christian claims that certain laws of the Old Testament are a covenant between Jehovah and Israel while other laws in the Old Testament are absolute and/or eternal. If this is your position, please list for us the laws which have expired and I will assume that all other laws are still in effect. If your position on morality is more complicated than that, please elucidate it and we will engage from there.

1.) If Biblical morality (the law) can be improved, then it is from man and not from God.

Show me abortion in Numbers 5:11-31.

Not there.

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mass murder Genesis 7

What is the atheistic supreme transcendent standard to test your OP?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Mass murder Genesis 7

I can't believe it! You proved religion is false. I guess it is settled and your mission here on this forum is complete...now you can leave.[emoji4]

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

This is a bad argument because it is several arguments. Pick one thing to defend and defend it. But it's bad for other reasons as well.

We could only know this by appealing to some other norm. What other norm do you appeal to? What do you measure God's Law by in order to know that it is deficient?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm not going to,address the entirety of your post. I thought you were just going to question about the law and cherry picking so I will,to there.

First of all we believers are no longer bound by the law of the Old Covenant. The book of Galations covers that quite well as well as Romans.

So why was the Law given? It was added because of offenses, until the descendant would come to whom the promise had been made. It was put in place through angels by the hand of a mediator. Now the mediator does not take one side; but God is one. So, is the Law against the promises of God? Absolutely not! If a Law had been given that was able to give life, then righteousness would in fact have come from the Law. But scripture locked up all things under sin, so that the promise based on the faithfulness of Jesus Christ might be given to those who have faith. Before faith came, we were guarded under the Law, locked up until faith that was coming would be revealed, so that the Law became our custodian until Christ so that we might be made righteous by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian. You are all God’s children through faith in Christ Jesus. All of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek; there is neither slave nor free; nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Now if you belong to Christ, then indeed you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to the promise.
Galatians 3:19‭-‬29 CEB
http://bible.com/37/gal.3.19-29.CEB

So we are no longer under the law. It is through faith in Jesus that we are saved, not by adherence to the law.

However, there is still sin. Read 1 John. So, what sin is there? Do we just cherry pick? Since we are no longer under the law, how do we know what sins are? They are all outlined by Jesus and the apostles.

I say be guided by the Spirit and you won’t carry out your selfish desires. A person’s selfish desires are set against the Spirit, and the Spirit is set against one’s selfish desires. They are opposed to each other, so you shouldn’t do whatever you want to do. But if you are being led by the Spirit, you aren’t under the Law. The actions that are produced by selfish motives are obvious, since they include sexual immorality, moral corruption, doing whatever feels good, idolatry, drug use and casting spells, hate, fighting, obsession, losing your temper, competitive opposition, conflict, selfishness, group rivalry, jealousy, drunkenness, partying, and other things like that. I warn you as I have already warned you, that those who do these kinds of things won’t inherit God’s kingdom.
Galatians 5:16‭-‬21 CEB
http://bible.com/37/gal.5.16-21.CEB

Last edited:
Reactions: Uber Genius
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is a bad argument because it is several arguments. Pick one thing to defend and defend it. But it's bad for other reasons as well.

We could only know this by appealing to some other norm. What other norm do you appeal to? What do you measure God's Law by in order to know that it is deficient?

I'm appealing to the norm that we have in the modern day and I'm saying that it's better than what is decreed in the Bible. By "better" I mean that the vast majority of people would prefer to live in the current norm rather than the Biblical norm.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm appealing to the norm that we have in the modern day and I'm saying that it's better than what is decreed in the Bible. By "better" I mean that the vast majority of people would prefer to live in the current norm rather than the Biblical norm.

So you say "modern ethics > biblical ethics". On what grounds? Simply that you prefer modern ethics?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
However, there is still sin. Read 1 John. So, what sin is there? Do we just cherry pick? Since we are no longer under the law, how do we know what sins are? They are all outlined by Jesus and the apostles.

Rape is not addressed at all. Do we default to the Old Testament rules on this issue or do we appeal to our own common sense?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So you say "modern ethics > biblical ethics". On what grounds? Simply that you prefer modern ethics?

You asked me what norm I appeal to and I gave you an answer. Is this a new question or are you repeating the old one?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You asked me what norm I appeal to and I gave you an answer. Is this a new question or are you repeating the old one?

It's just not much of an argument. You're basically saying:
  1. I prefer my own ideas to the Bible's ideas
  2. Therefore my ideas are superior
Forgive me if I'm not convinced.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Rape is not addressed at all. Do we default to the Old Testament rules on this issue or do we appeal to our own common sense?
Yes it is. Sex with anyone but your wife is forbidden, rape or not. And there is the matter of violence which is also sinful.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes it is. Sex with anyone but your wife is forbidden, rape or not. And there is the matter of violence which is also sinful.

So how do you feel about nonviolent rape of one's wife?

Also, there is the issue of slavery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
So how do you feel about nonviolent rape of one's wife?

Also, there is the issue of slavery.
That would be forbidden also. I don't know how rape could ever be considered non violent. It would be in violation of how husbands are to treat their wives. We are to live our wives. Rape of your wife is violence and not loving.

So as you can see there is no cherry picking involved with the law. We are free from the requirements of the law, but there is a new covenant which we are to follow and in that covenant there is still sinful behaviors we are to avoid.

One other thing is that unbelievers are are not subject to the believers covenant. They are sinners and lost already. They have fallen short of the glory of God all ready. As Jesus said the world is condemned all ready. By virtue of existence without Jesus they are lost sinners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's just not much of an argument. You're basically saying:
  1. I prefer my own ideas to the Bible's ideas
  2. Therefore my ideas are superior
Forgive me if I'm not convinced.

Would you prefer to live in a world where one human being could own another as property and beat that person as long as they don't die?

• Haha
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Would you prefer to live in a world where one human being could own another as property and beat that person as long as they don't die?
Why do you live in the OT world when Christians live in the NT world? Is that the only place you feel you can prove the "pointlessness" of Christianity?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That would be forbidden also. I don't know how rape could ever be considered non violent. It would be in violation of how husbands are to treat their wives. We are to live our wives. Rape of your wife is violence and not loving.

So as you can see there is no cherry picking involved with the law. We are free from the requirements of the law, but there is a new covenant which we are to follow and in that covenant there is still sinful behaviors we are to avoid.

One other thing is that unbelievers are are not subject to the believers covenant. They are sinners and lost already. They have fallen short of the glory of God all ready. As Jesus said the world is condemned all ready. By virtue of existence without Jesus they are lost sinners.

Rape can be nonviolent. And you completely ignored the issue of slavery. Am I to assume that you see nothing wrong with slavery, or did you just miss that part of my post?

• Haha
Upvote 0