Morality comes from God, correct?

Dec 4, 2012
✟15,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I now see that after reading a countless number of articles and forums from a variety of websites over the years discussing this subject, all good things really do come from Him, including moral principality. If I'm not mistaken, didn't God just grant us the privilege of free will decision-making?

So why do people say that everyone would be evil and corrupt if this world were to be left unrestrained by God's hand? Morality is a choice, right? People can choose not to do wrong.

Also, what do people mean when they say man has an evil nature? I feel that if Satan wasn't around tempting people into making horrible decisions that will cost them their immortal souls, this world would be much better off. I feel that a world without Hell or Satan will actually be much better.

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Whether many of us like to admit it or not, we all have our dark side (sinful nature). I think the key is to be aware that the dark side exists and our lifelong struggle to overcome sin. If we are desynthesized to sin, and doing evil works, and don't recognize it, then we really are in trouble. That's where God/Jesus comes in -- our conscience, so to speak. We must be always mindful as to what a Godly life actually is rather than what the majority of the people are doing or not doing. IMHO....

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2012
✟15,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I think you're right. Because we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, the first two humans ever to exist on Earth, we have all inherited the sin nature. It's part of our DNA to sin and to revel in it, that is....until one is born-again.

Because of our inherited sin nature, we could never be pure in the eyes of God by our own efforts, even when we do try to do what's right....or rather what we think is right. Sure, we can be good enough in the eyes of Man: being an upright, privileged and law abiding citizen who may even appear to follow the Ten Commandments and even give to charities and help out others less fortunate than you are....but in the eyes of God......it just isn't enough.

We like to belittle and make fun of others whose actions are morally inferior or degrading than our very own, but what we forget is that God only cares if you're obedient to Him, not Man.

But there is one question I'd like for you to please answer me:

Are those who commit significant and grave sins like murder or adultery or pedophilia actually morally darker than we are? I mean, I know they choose to do wrong and that's a choice, make no mistake about that. But one thing I notice commonly with serial killers, mass murderers and child rapists is that they tend to show a lack of empathy, guilt or remorse for their actions. The average person would never even begin to imagine such depravity in their minds, much less even attempt it. Something has to be wrong with these people, and I'm not speaking from a self-perverted, self-righteous holier-than-thou perspective--I'm really speaking out of some degree of sympathy for these people. I think it's rather tragic really. But for some reason, when they receive just what they deserve as punishment for their wicked actions, I don't feel sympathy for them.

So I want to know--what is it that keeps the average person from being something like Adolf Hitler, Mao Zedong or Genghis Khan? Are they naturally more moral? Or do these types of despicable people just represent what the entire human race would be like if God's restraint upon sin were released?

If this is so, then we really have nothing to boast about, because even our good character is not our own.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
what do people mean when they say man has an evil nature?

We are all born into a world where we need shelter, food, and resources. We fear that we might have times of lack, so we gather more than we need. Sometimes people take from others, to make sure they have enough for themselves.

The Israelites were given daily manna in the desert, but were told not to take more than needed, as it spoiled quickly. I find that's true of a lot of things -- if we buy too many tools for the house, they get rusty. Too many clothes wrinkle, packed too tightly. Big bags of rice, moths. Attempts to provide for ourselves can get detrimental, or warp into something destructive.

And yes evil lurks. But I think some immorality comes from fear. Fear of more abuse can lead people to abuse.

I don't know that it's necessarily an evil nature, but a disposition prone to retaliation, finding "creative" ways to meet needs/desires, sometimes self-hatred that allows despair to lead them into continued evil.

Self-centered. Wired to cause one's self to survive.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I now see that after reading a countless number of articles and forums from a variety of websites over the years discussing this subject, all good things really do come from Him, including moral principality. If I'm not mistaken, didn't God just grant us the privilege of free will decision-making?

So why do people say that everyone would be evil and corrupt if this world were to be left unrestrained by God's hand? Morality is a choice, right? People can choose not to do wrong.

Also, what do people mean when they say man has an evil nature? I feel that if Satan wasn't around tempting people into making horrible decisions that will cost them their immortal souls, this world would be much better off. I feel that a world without Hell or Satan will actually be much better.
We don't have an evil nature, but, left to our own devices, apart from God, not in communion with Him, selfishness/lack of love generally or often rules the day. Satan doesn't really have to do much; as James says in 1:14 of his letter:

"...but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed."

Man needs communion with God. That's what we're here to learn, and to begin to accomplish in our lives, with His help. Then we begin to be who He created us to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah, I think you're right. Because we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, the first two humans ever to exist on Earth, we have all inherited the sin nature. It's part of our DNA to sin and to revel in it, that is....until one is born-again.

We are all fallen, broken in some way. I prefer those terms to 'evil' to describe humanity in general. Evil is what we can become through comitted wring behaviours.

Because of our inherited sin nature, we could never be pure in the eyes of God by our own efforts, even when we do try to do what's right....or rather what we think is right. Sure, we can be good enough in the eyes of Man: being an upright, privileged and law abiding citizen who may even appear to follow the Ten Commandments and even give to charities and help out others less fortunate than you are....but in the eyes of God......it just isn't enough.

We like to belittle and make fun of others whose actions are morally inferior or degrading than our own, but what we forget is that God only cares if you're obedient to Him, not Man.

God cares anyway - "For God so loved the world..." For if , while we were enemies Christ dies for us ...."

But there is one question I'd like for you to please answer me:

Are those who commit significant and grave sins like murder or adultery or pedophilia actually morally darker than we are? I mean, I know they choose to do wrong and that's a choice, make no mistake about that. But one thing I notice commonly with serial killers, mass murderers and child rapists is that they tend to show a lack of empathy, guilt or remorse for their actions. The average person would never even begin to imagine such depravity in their minds, much less even attempt it. Something has to be wrong with these people, and I'm not speaking from a self-perverted, self-righteous holier-than-thou perspective--I'm really speaking out of some degree of sympathy for these people. I think it's rather tragic really. But for some reason, when they receive just what they deserve as punishment for their wicked actions, I don't feel sympathy for them.

We are all a long way from perfection. We shouldn't be seeing 'grades' of sin. We must also recognise psychological dysfunction as distinct from unimpaired moral choice.

So I want to know--what is it that keeps the average person from being something like Adolf Hitler, Mao Zedong or Genghis Khan? Are they naturally more moral? Or do these types of despicable people just represent what the entire human race would be like if God's restraint upon sin were released?

As image bearers of God people can choose to live out of that heritage. Some do that much better than others.

If this is so, then we really have nothing to boast about, because even our good character is not our own.

All goodness is derived from God wherever we see it manifested.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think that if Satan disappeared there would still be plenty enough sin and evil to go around. All Satan really does is tempt us to do the things we are inclined to do. That inclination is OURS.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God has given all human beings a conscience (Romans 2:14,15). Many follow their conscience and many do not. All will be judged according to their relationship to Christ as Lord and Savior of their lives.
Because Satan is the "god of this world" and he and his evil spirits incite men to do evil daily. The atrocities of ISIS are nothing less than devilish. But the American government is no less under Satan's control (as are all governments).
Also, what do people mean when they say man has an evil nature?
Man does have a sinful nature inherited from Adam (Roman 3:9-20).
I feel that if Satan wasn't around tempting people into making horrible decisions that will cost them their immortal souls, this world would be much better off. I feel that a world without Hell or Satan will actually be much better.
Of course it would. But reality is reality and wishful thinking is wishful thinking. The more important question to ask yourself is "Am I still in Satan's kingdom, or am I in the Kingdom of God?" Those who have the Holy Spirit within can resist the Devil.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Because Satan is the "god of this world"
actually it never says in the Bible that Satan is the god of this world (a common mistake). It says Satan is the *prince* of this world (God is still the King). "I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me" John 14:30

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums