2/3 Cup Hershey's Cocoa
3 Cups sugar
1/8 teas. Salt
1 1/2 Cups milk
1/4 Cup Butter (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter

**Do not make on a rainy day!**

• Grease an 8x8 inch square baking pan. Set aside. Butter sides of sauce pan.
  • Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in a medium saucepan. Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it reaches full boil. Stop stirring til it reaches next stage.
  • Place candy thermometer in pan and cook until temperature reaches 238 degrees F(114 degrees C). You should not need to cook the fudge longer than 15 minutes to get it to 238. If you are not using a thermometer, then cook until a drop of this mixture in a cup of cold water forms a soft ball. Use clean dry spoons for testing. Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency *see tip below. It should flatten when pressed between your fingers.
  • Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine, peanut butter and vanilla extract once it had cooled to the mid 100s took about 7 minutes. Beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge just loses its sheen. Do not under beat.
  • Pour into prepared pan and let cool. Cut into about 60 squares.

Heat this recipe slowly on medium heat, it will burn if you heat it too fast.

*I keep a shallow dish of ice water near the pan and test it periodically. I think a lot of people have failed results, because they aren't sure what exactly "soft ball" stage is. When you dribble the chocolate mixture in the water, it should not cloud, and will immediately form a semi-solid mass. Think of it as the consistency of a tootsie roll you've been keeping in your pocket all day. When you squeeze it, it should be soft, but you don't want it to run. Once it's reached this stage, beat it with a wooden spoon like mad and Voila! Gourmet fudge. It's worth the sore elbow.

Don't stir or knock the pan when it's cooling

Tip: This is a great recipe but I think that people that aren't familiar with sugar cooking need to know that it is very difficult to make a recipe like this on an electric stove and they need to understand more about sugar crystalization. One sugar crystal in the pot after it is cooked will ruin the candy. I always make sure that I take a wet paper towel and wipe down the sides of the pot after the mixture comes to a boil to remove any undissolved sugar; I never put a spoon into the mixture after it comes to a boil (it might have sugar crystals on it) and I never stir or move the fudge after it is cooked (do not stir the butter and vanilla into it) until it is cooled to at least 115 degrees. Then, and only then, beat like mad until it loses it's gloss and then pour it quickly into your pan. It shouldn't take a long time to reach the desired temperature if the size of the pot is large enough and if it's heavy enough it will not burn. It takes about 10-15 minutes from beginning to end of cooking for me.

artqween

together we are strong :)
Feb 3, 2013
ummmmm
✟2,846.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Democrats
Mom’s Old Fashion Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe

2/3 Cup Hershey's Cocoa
3 Cups sugar
1/8 teas. Salt
1 1/2 Cups milk
1/4 Cup Butter (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter

**Do not make on a rainy day!**

[*]Grease an 8x8 inch square baking pan. Set aside. Butter sides of sauce pan.
[*]Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in a medium saucepan. Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it reaches full boil. Stop stirring til it reaches next stage.
[*]Place candy thermometer in pan and cook until temperature reaches 238 degrees F(114 degrees C). You should not need to cook the fudge longer than 15 minutes to get it to 238. If you are not using a thermometer, then cook until a drop of this mixture in a cup of cold water forms a soft ball. Use clean dry spoons for testing. Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency *see tip below. It should flatten when pressed between your fingers.
[*]Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine, peanut butter and vanilla extract once it had cooled to the mid 100s took about 7 minutes. Beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge just loses its sheen. Do not under beat.
[*]Pour into prepared pan and let cool. Cut into about 60 squares.

Heat this recipe slowly on medium heat, it will burn if you heat it too fast.

*I keep a shallow dish of ice water near the pan and test it periodically. I think a lot of people have failed results, because they aren't sure what exactly "soft ball" stage is. When you dribble the chocolate mixture in the water, it should not cloud, and will immediately form a semi-solid mass. Think of it as the consistency of a tootsie roll you've been keeping in your pocket all day. When you squeeze it, it should be soft, but you don't want it to run. Once it's reached this stage, beat it with a wooden spoon like mad and Voila! Gourmet fudge. It's worth the sore elbow.

Don't stir or knock the pan when it's cooling

Tip: This is a great recipe but I think that people that aren't familiar with sugar cooking need to know that it is very difficult to make a recipe like this on an electric stove and they need to understand more about sugar crystalization. One sugar crystal in the pot after it is cooked will ruin the candy. I always make sure that I take a wet paper towel and wipe down the sides of the pot after the mixture comes to a boil to remove any undissolved sugar; I never put a spoon into the mixture after it comes to a boil (it might have sugar crystals on it) and I never stir or move the fudge after it is cooked (do not stir the butter and vanilla into it) until it is cooled to at least 115 degrees. Then, and only then, beat like mad until it loses it's gloss and then pour it quickly into your pan. It shouldn't take a long time to reach the desired temperature if the size of the pot is large enough and if it's heavy enough it will not burn. It takes about 10-15 minutes from beginning to end of cooking for me.

Now we r talking ;-) yuummmmm
Do u have plenty to go around?? Ill bring the beverage...

Upvote 0