Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A mother in Chile claims a local hospital is keeping her away from her newborn daughter simply because she smoked marijuana a few days before giving birth, the AP reports. "They have violated my rights as a mother," the BBC quotes Sindy Ortiz. "I use this drug only for the pain in my arms, it was recommended by a medical professional to me, and I am absolutely not a drug consumer." According to the AP, Ortiz says the hospital is only letting her see her infant for two hours per day and won't allow her to breastfeed her.

http://www.newser.com/story/216726/...-let-her-see-baby-because-she-smoked-pot.html

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
? For using a medically prescribed drug? So if she had been prescribed acetaminophen, should her child be kept from her?
Not every drug that helps a mother is something you want transmitted into the blood stream of a newborn. Besides, what the mother said in reply is far from amounting to a confirmation that any doctor prescribed marijuana to this woman to be used within days of giving birth! You've assumed a lot.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟487,364.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes, weed, a drug that can permanently affect mental development of children up to their late teens. Weed is only relatively harmless after the brain has stopped developing at age 18-20.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One can take a drug to help with a personal condition, that can be harmful to the new born during breastfeeding.

I don't pretend to know any facts about the risks of breastfeeding shortly after using pot, but I do know, pot stays in the system much longer than most drugs.

I would defer to the medical opinions, on whether there is a risk to the child, until enough time has passed, for the drug to leave the mother's body.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh they are just overacting. Take a look around New Orleans, Oakland, Los Angles, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. All those cities are bastions of good citizenship and moral behavior. Drug use by mothers has promoted all the good behavior we have seen lately from these fine cities.

Upvote 0

My Shalom

We're The Christians The Devil Warned You About!
Nov 26, 2015
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Doctor that prescribed should be investigated while their license is suspended.
Would this mother have taken LSD if it was medically prescribed? She should not be able to see the child when she demonstrated she was unfit as a mother when the baby was in utero. She got her baby high! She's ridiculously stupid.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟320,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds sensible.
I agree, if she smoked to get high. The baby also gets high. Who knows what kind of learning problems kids are having. Now days. But if this was medical pot. They have pot that doesn't make you high. So it might be safer, then other meds. The courts can deal with this. I have no idea how honest she being. I've know quite a few parents that smoked their whole pregnancy, or until 3 month. Some of the kids have learning problem and some don't.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good. Now they should take the child and give it to a mother that is thinks about the babies health more.
I think they need to help the mother to overcome her nasty habit ,but taking a child from it's mother should never happen except in the utmost dire circumstances .Meanwhile keeping her from feeding her baby is good,and maybe longer if need be , I can think of no greater pain than being yanked from your mother ;children need and love the most dire of parents .

Reactions: newhopeinHim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And so are many people . If we took all the children from all the stupid parents ,then how many families would we have together ? For me being a child of some of the christians, so called here , would be unbearable . Don't get me wrong ,smoking this kind of thing is stupid and harmful ,but the solutions of some are not christian .

Reactions: newhopeinHim
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟550,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Pretty sure a lot of babies have to live with parents that have done much worse. Still, expecting mothers shouldn't be smoking anything of any kind, at all. Pretty simple rule in parenting so I'm not surprised the state stepped in.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pretty simple rule in parenting so I'm not surprised the state stepped in.

If memory services I believe they have provinces not states in Chile.

This is all standard protocol, according to the hospital. The hospital states it was required to alert a local court when Ortiz tested positive for substances that could be harmful to her baby, the AP reports. The hospital is maintaining custody of Ortiz's daughter, at least until a hearing scheduled for Thursday.

Upvote 0