Mom of Slain Soldier Stages Bush Protest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenPartyVoter

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Feb 4, 2004
Maine
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
#2 is incorrect. He re-upped because he didn't want to leave his buddies in the lurch. He didn't think it was fair for him to be home when they were being sent to Iraq.

Call it a form of survivor's guilt, if you want.

Upvote 0

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scribbler said:
Well, what do we know?
1. We know Casey Sheehan Re-enlisted in the Army, knowing full well he could be sent to Iraq.
2. Casey re-enlisted in the Army because he loved his country and this was a way for him to serve it.
3. He VOLUNTEERED to go into the battle that ultimately took his life. Cindy herself said this.
4. A large number of his relatives (his 'grandparents, aunt/uncles & cousins) support the war, and don't support what Cindy is doing.
5. She's hardly a simple 'grieving mother', blaming this war on, of all things, the 'defense of Israel'.
6. She's already met with the president once, a meeting that she had positive comments about.
And finally-
7. Sheehan herself said she 'didn't consider' what Casey would think about what she's doing, though taking all of the above into account, I speculate his opinion wouldn't be a positive one.
From my view, she's a far-left wingnut waving the 'dead son' flag to draw attention to herself and her politics, though you'd never get that impression from watching the news.

Nor would you hear from the thousands of other parents and soldiers that support Bush and the war effort.

Upvote 0

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GreenPartyVoter said:
#2 is incorrect. He re-upped because he didn't want to leave his buddies in the lurch. He didn't think it was fair for him to be home when they were being sent to Iraq.

And this is you putting words in his mouth? Or can you quote this from somewhere as Scribbler can (and has) post links for the comments of the family and Cindy herself.

Upvote 0

GreenPartyVoter

Feb 4, 2004
Maine
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
llondy said:
The problem is that her "Mud Slinging" is based on propoganda and rhetoric that has little to do with her son, but she keeps hiding behind his death to avoid scrutiny.

Her agenda is the same as all left wing extremist groups. To discredit Bush and the war effort at all costs

What is the rhetoric that has little to with her son? If you mean her reasons for disputing the validity of this war, then I would say that has a lot to do with her son.

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Ignoring all links to Huffington Post
Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
GreenPartyVoter said:
No, Casey re-enlisted because he loved his country and this was his way to serve. His own father said that, GreenPartyVoter.

Upvote 0

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GreenPartyVoter said:
What is the rhetoric that has little to with her son? If you mean her reasons for disputing the validity of this war, then I would say that has a lot to do with her son.

Then why not stand by yourself and use your own comments that do not contradict your previous statements? Why surround yourself with left wing activist groups?

Bush should be sent to prison for war crimes?
I am not paying my taxes until Bush brings troops home?
Without the Internet the US would be a facist state?
The war is about the defense of Israel?

All comments that have so much to do with her son's death, that I am sure she thought of on her own...

Upvote 0

Marklet12

Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
GreenPartyVoter said:

And, volunteering to fight in a battle doesn't mean you support the war or the president. People should read "Black Hawk Down" if they doubt otherwise.

Upvote 0

MalcolmX

Jul 31, 2005
✟562.00
Faith
Catholic
Yojimbo said:
And, volunteering to fight in a battle doesn't mean you support the war or the president. People should read "Black Hawk Down" if they doubt otherwise.
Exactly, a soldeir will go out there more for being with his comrades than for the actual mission. There are many troops out there that are against this war, but ask them if they would go to Canada or file for conscientious objector status and most all will refuse because they want to be supportive of the others in their regiment, it's not about the mission, it's not about the commander, it's about being their to support your brothers and sisters.

Upvote 0

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MalcolmX said:
Exactly, a soldeir will go out there more for being with his comrades than for the actual mission. There are many troops out there that are against this war, but ask them if they would go to Canada or file for conscientious objector status and most all will refuse because they want to be supportive of the others in their regiment, it's not about the mission, it's not about the commander, it's about being their to support your brothers and sisters.

I didnt join the military to support my brothers and sisters, although I would have done so if the situation called for it. To have the idea that soldiers are dieing only because others are being killed and they want to help them is not true for the majority. And to insinuate that they have no concept of the "Mission" is somewhat degrading as if they are all dumb or defiant.

The majority of the sodliers support the "Mission" and are on record as saying so, although some don't and still serve. This has nothing to do with the "commradery" aspect of saving another soldier in the heat of battle

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
llondy said:
I didnt join the military to support my brothers and sisters, although I would have done so if the situation called for it. To have the idea that soldiers are dieing only because others are being killed and they want to help them is not true for the majority. And to insinuate that they have no concept of the "Mission" is somewhat degrading as if they are all dumb or defiant.

The majority of the sodliers support the "Mission" and are on record as saying so, although some don't and still serve. This has nothing to do with the "commradery" aspect of saving another soldier in the heat of battle

What army did you belong to?!? The 'mission' is more important than 'comradery?' Maybe for Capt/Maj on up, but not for the average soldier. The soldiers might not be to dumb to understand the mission but they are usually too tired and/or busy to care about much more than their specific duties.

From speaking to veterans, and reading a great deal of military history including from my former regiment, a soldiers buddies are the most important factor in battle, followed by the idea of 'the regiment' and pride in it and all that. National philosophies, motives, ideals, generic 'missions' are not part of the picture for the average soldier.

Do you think that those soldiers who support the mission are the ones the chain of command want to seen and heard and those that care about their career and how they are treated?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MalcolmX

Jul 31, 2005
✟562.00
Faith
Catholic
llondy said:

Well you can't say anything against the Mission on record. That's why when my sister speaks to my cousin online, my cousin can't say much. To act as if a soldier speaking on record really speaks his/her mind is ridiculous because many know they can't say otherwise.

I never insinuated that they didn't know what the "Mission," I'm saying to the individual soldier, the unit and their current set of objectives are the most important thing. What is the "Mission" in the first place? It kind of evolved from being about weapons to being about democracy, to now just being some sort of shadowy reasoning about stability. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Marklet12

Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
llondy said:

Good for you (no sarcasm)...but the fact still remains that people can join the military without giving much of a whit to what the grand mission is. My best friend is a Marine sniper and he voted for Kerry and bashes Bush whenever I talk to him. "Black Hawk Down" is rife full of soldiers who neither liked Clinton nor knew what the heck they were doing in Somalia (did anyone?), yet still bravely went into and died in the hottest firefight since Vietnam.

Upvote 0

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
StromRider said:
What army did you belong to?!? The 'mission' is more important than 'comradery?' Maybe for Capt/Maj on up, but not for the average soldier. The soldiers might not be to dumb to understand the mission but they are usually too tired and/or busy to care about much more than their specific duties.

From speaking to veterans, and reading a great deal of military history including from my former regiment, a soldiers buddies are the most important factor in battle, followed by the idea of 'the regiment' and pride in it and all that. National philosophies, motives, ideals, generic 'missions' are not part of the picture for the average soldier.

Do you think that those soldiers who support the mission are the ones the chain of command want to seen and heard and those that care about their career and how they are treated?

I did not say one was more important ten the other. I said that they were two different things. The commradery aspect is most important in battle to the average soldier. But the idea that they are all out there with no idea of the overall mission is not true, which was my point

Upvote 0

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yojimbo said:
Good for you (no sarcasm)...but the fact still remains that people can join the military without giving much of a whit to what the grand mission is. My best friend is a Marine sniper and he voted for Kerry and bashes Bush whenever I talk to him. "Black Hawk Down" is rife full of soldiers who neither liked Clinton nor knew what the heck they were doing in Somalia (did anyone?), yet still bravely went into and died in the hottest firefight since Vietnam.

I understand this, and that is not what was being debated. People join the military for College Money, patrotism, and many other reasons.

That being said, ask the soldiers over in Iraq what they are doing there and they will tell you. They may not have all the details because they don't need them. However, they are not running around over there completely oblivious to the overall mission.

I served during Somalia and Desert Storm. I agreed with the mission for one but not the other. However, I understood in both cases what we were doing even though I did not join the military to do either specifically.

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Ignoring all links to Huffington Post
Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
llondy said:
I understand this, and that is not what was being debated. People join the military for College Money, patrotism, and many other reasons.
I served during Somalia and Desert Storm. I agreed with the mission for one but not the other. However, I understood in both cases what we were doing even though I did not join the military to do either specifically.
Are you sure you weren't there for the 'comraderie'? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

belladonic-haze

Can't we just all agree to disagree and let Mom do her things in her way and we do it all in our own way. I mean, we all respect those soldiers, we all pray for a good ending of this big mess and we all pray that everybody gets home safe....on all sides.......Why don't we just let it slight and instead of turning this in a YES...NO game..let's hug and go our own way and pray that we all live to see the day of total world peace...

HUG TIME:groupray: :p

Upvote 0

GreenPartyVoter

Feb 4, 2004
Maine
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
belladonic-haze said:
Can't we just all agree to disagree and let Mom do her things in her way and we do it all in our own way. I mean, we all respect those soldiers, we all pray for a good ending of this big mess and we all pray that everybody gets home safe....on all sides.......Why don't we just let it slight and instead of turning this in a YES...NO game..let's hug and go our own way and pray that we all live to see the day of total world peace...

HUG TIME:groupray: :p

I am never one to pass up a hug. *g* :groupray:

Upvote 0

nathanel

Dec 6, 2004
✟1,006.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
...Casey signed up voluntarily, but he did that in TRUST.
As I am also reminded of the trust Uriah the Hittite had for the orders he was given:

14And it came to pass in the morning, that David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah. 15And he wrote in the letter, saying, Set ye Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die. 16And it came to pass, when Joab observed the city, that he assigned Uriah unto a place where he knew that valiant men were . 17And the men of the city went out, and fought with Joab: and there fell some of the people of the servants of David; and Uriah the Hittite died also. (II Samuel 11)

Yes, no doubt Uriah died honorably, in his obedience while carrying out dishonorable orders. Now, about the question of those who are currently giving the orders, and the nature of those orders being given...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.