Modernization of The Orthodox Church

Would modernization of The Orthodox Church work?

• Yes

• No

• I'm against it

• I'm for it

• Other(Specify Below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Anyways, from experience I can say young people find Protestant youth group and services just as dull as some might find liturgy. Evangelical services are, in practice, just as repetitive and the same week to week as any Liturgy.

Youth group becomes boring when the young people, who generally aren't complete idiots, grow tired of being endlessly condescended and patronized to and weary of the superficiality. By high school, most youth group people are totally jaded, show up drunk or hung over, chat the entire time, don't sing, and doze off during the talk. Because they've realized for years by then that it's boring and they've seen it all a good dozen times before.

This is very true. The problem is that it's difficult to speak effectively to four very different age groups. Freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors are all at different levels of maturity even though they're only a year apart, but a freshmen is far closer to junior high than to college, whereas a senior is the opposite so it tends to warrant that the leader(s) engage the students differently. By the time I was a senior I noticed my youth pastor communicated well with the freshmen and sophomores but he kind of lost us seniors.

The bible studies and Sunday meetings became tedious (at best), and eventually when you see the forest for the trees you kind of just realize it's all one big popularity contest where the leaders raise their prized students up onto pedestals and the rest get pushed to the fringes.

Upvote 0