Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Right, we're supposed to assume all these e-mails really came from parents and alumni of the school as opposed to a bunch of conservatives writing in... maybe I should just claim it's a 4chan attack and argue that there is no undercurrent of anger. I have no doubt people are angry about perceived capitulation, but there are also people that are angry about their lack of action in the first place.
And what evidence do you have that the e-mails are faked? What evidence do you have that people are refusing to go to school because of the school not cracking down hard enough on poo swastikas and imagined klansmen?

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right, we're supposed to assume all these e-mails really came from parents and alumni of the school as opposed to a bunch of conservatives writing in... maybe I should just claim it's a 4chan attack and argue that there is no undercurrent of anger. I have no doubt people are angry about perceived capitulation, but there are also people that are angry about their lack of action in the first place.

Yet you have no problem believing that the hateful emails about the Obama girl were from genuine racists?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
And what evidence do you have that the e-mails are faked? What evidence do you have that people are refusing to go to school because of the school not cracking down hard enough on poo swastikas and imagined klansmen?
I'm not saying the e-mails are faked, I'm suggesting that the e-mails are no different than Yelp listings becoming inundated with negative reviews due to a news story. The controversies on their campus became a political story with conservatives and liberals making their voices heard on the matter. You can't correlate that with the decrease in enrollment because you don't know if it's due to poor publicity, a sense that the university is intolerant, or if it's a response to perceived capitulation.

The funny thing is you mention stories in the national headlines after this controversy started, ignoring the fact that there were longstanding issues beforehand, which led to the football team walk-off, protests, etc.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not saying the e-mails are faked, I'm suggesting that the e-mails are no different than Yelp listings becoming inundated with negative reviews due to a news story.snip

But isn't that the same as saying the emails were faked? Isn't that what happens with Yelp reviews when certain news stories come out?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not saying the e-mails are faked, I'm suggesting that the e-mails are no different than Yelp listings becoming inundated with negative reviews due to a news story. The controversies on their campus became a political story with conservatives and liberals making their voices heard on the matter. You can't correlate that with the decrease in enrollment because you don't know if it's due to poor publicity, a sense that the university is intolerant, or if it's a response to perceived capitulation.

The funny thing is you mention stories in the national headlines after this controversy started, ignoring the fact that there were longstanding issues beforehand, which led to the football team walk-off, protests, etc.

Ahhh yes! The, "someone said something mean to me from the back of a pickup truck and the University won't do anything about it" whine.

My favorite part of that is that he was able to tweet about it seeminly moments after it happened yet unable to take a picture of the offenders.

On September 12, 2015, a Facebook post[6] by the student government president Payton Head described bigotry and anti-gay sentiment around the college campus, which gained widespread attention.[7][8] He claimed that in an incident off campus, unidentified people in the back of a passing pickup truck directed racial slurs at him. "For those of you who wonder why I'm always talking about the importance of inclusion and respect, it's because I've experienced moments like this multiple times at THIS university, making me not feel included here."[6] Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin called the incident "totally unacceptable" on September 17.[7][8]

Little precious doesn't seem to understand that he University isn't the police and has zero authority off of campus.

Then there's the claim that a drunk white kid got on stage and said something mean.

Then the poo swastika which was apparently the last straw! Somehow a symbol traditionally used to slur and threaten Jews was a horrible insult to the black students.

Sounds like cultural appropriation to me!

Every single thing they complained about the University acted on within the scope of it's power.

The University isn't Mommy or Daddy, it's not there to hold their hands when they imagine something racist is going bump in the night.

Then you have the rich boy Butler demanding the the president of the university step down because he was hit by his car.

Because Butler and his goon squad was surrounding the mans car screaming at the top of their lungs.

Now you're a parent you see all this idiocy... do you want to send your kid to a school where the infants are allowed the run the nursery?

This is how Mizzou should have addressed these children.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
But isn't that the same as saying the emails were faked? Isn't that what happens with Yelp reviews when certain news stories come out?
Are the Yelp reviews fake? No. They are receiving responses from people across the country.

Parents and grandparents wrote in from around the country declaring that their family members wouldn't be attending Mizzou after the highly publicized controversy.
As if their family member was already applying or accepted to Mizzou? Less than 25% of their student body is from out-of-state, so if letters are pouring in from around the country, it's safe to say that many of their children weren't going to apply there anyway (I never understood why anyone would go to an out-of-state state school).

Ahhh yes! The, "someone said something mean to me from the back of a pickup truck and the University won't do anything about it" whine.

My favorite part of that is that he was able to tweet about it seeminly moments after it happened yet unable to take a picture of the offenders.

Little precious doesn't seem to understand that he University isn't the police and has zero authority off of campus.

Then there's the claim that a drunk white kid got on stage and said something mean.

Then the poo swastika which was apparently the last straw! Somehow a symbol traditionally used to slur and threaten Jews was a horrible insult to the black students.

Sounds like cultural appropriation to me!

Every single thing they complained about the University acted on within the scope of it's power.

The University isn't Mommy or Daddy, it's not there to hold their hands when they imagine something racist is going bump in the night.

Then you have the rich boy Butler demanding the the president of the university step down because he was hit by his car.

Because Butler and his goon squad was surrounding the mans car screaming at the top of their lungs.

Now you're a parent you see all this idiocy... do you want to send your kid to a school where the infants are allowed the run the nursery?

This is how Mizzou should have addressed these children.

There were incidents before, which is the point. Events like this do not happen due to one event, it is a series of events, I thought people understood this. Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination did not cause World War I, but it's the event that signaled the rapid transition to war. The pickup truck incident didn't cause the protests.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, because black people all have rap CDs? :rolleyes: Think about what you're saying. SMH.
Actually, for the moment, I'm reading your own imagination coming to print. Read what YOU'RE saying! Think about that!

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This fall could mark the smallest class of incoming freshmen at the University of Missouri-Columbia in nearly a decade as the school continues to lose students, partly because of last fall's protests.

The university on Wednesday announced the amount of students paying freshman tuition deposits — a key indicator of coming enrollment — has decreased by 1,470 compared to last year.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless he was already on his phone, how could he take a picture of a people in a truck that had already passed by? I know it would take me a few seconds to get out my phone, tap in the password, tap the camera, point it and click.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Regarding emails to the school claiming to be from alumni.

I'm pretty sure the school knows which are real and which are fake with pretty good accuracy. A couple of times a year my college calls trying to get money, every call starts with confirming my contact information is still correct. That includes my email. The school also uses that email information to send out news items.

In short my and most alumni email information is in the school's database.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Shrugs) Most young people have the phone permanently connected to their face. Not that this matters.

From what I read that truck wasn't on campus, and the people that allegedly did it were not connected to campus either. I'm not sure what they wanted people to do about it. Most of the time I ignored idiots myself. I mean unless they turn around and want a confrontation? They are not going to spoil my night.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regarding emails to the school claiming to be from alumni.

I'm pretty sure the school knows which are real and which are fake with pretty good accuracy. A couple of times a year my college calls trying to get money, every call starts with confirming my contact information is still correct. That includes my email. The school also uses that email information to send out news items.

In short my and most alumni email information is in the school's database.

Mine does the same thing.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you guys think this is the fault of the student protesters...

The students based their protest on a bodyguard of lies. Payton Head promoted a narrative about a couple of guys in a pickup truck which could not be substantiated, and later outright lied about the KKK being on campus. The death threat claim made by Jonathan Butler was also proven false. The student who supposedly made a racial comment on campus turned out not to be a student at all, but rather a local wondering the campus while drunk. Someone writing on a bathroom wall with feces was more a sign of mental instability as opposed to racism. Add in the violence and suppression perpetrated by the protesters themselves, and that idiot faculty woman, and the entire protest was an exercise in manufactured outrage.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here's how I see the flow of these things typically playing out:

- someone does something quite and actually harmful to another student.
- that student complains
- SJWs hijack it to whine and protest about every "micro-aggression" they can dream up
- original point is lost, nothing of value is done and everything is made horrible.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The pickup truck incident didn't cause the protests.

There exist no actual evidence the pickup truck incident ever occurred. Head lied later about the KKK being on campus. It is no stretch to imagine he lied about the two guys in the truck as well.

Reactions: nightflight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
COLUMBIA, MO (KTVI) from a student who required facial reconstruction to another who says she has trouble breathing after someone punched her in the nose, we tracked reports that people aren't used to hearing about college life.

“It`s not hype if the small group of people that I know in Columbia have a personal connection to at least one person that`s been violently attacked.”

Baebler is a St. Louis mom of a Mizzou student, who's talked to several families she says are too afraid to speak out about their child's attacks. She said, “Guys that are walking home get beaten up, get jumped and kicked beaten within an inch of their life.”

http://fox2now.com/2015/11/04/rando...-mizzou-campus-fox-2-tracks-assault-hotspots/

Doesn't sound like the kind of place that is safe to send one's kids.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
School down in enrollment and money due to their tone-deafness concerning racism on campus, but somehow it's black people's fault. Sure! :thumbsup:
Where did anyone say that? Please point it out.....

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Right, we're supposed to assume all these e-mails really came from parents and alumni of the school as opposed to a bunch of conservatives writing in...
Got evidence of that.......didn't think so.......

Reactions: Sistrin
Upvote 0