Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
New correspondence reviewed by Heat Street and National Review depicts the cataclysmic backlash against the University of Missouri as its administrators grappled with demands from rowdy protestors, a hunger-striking grad student, and a boycotting football team. The protests ultimately toppled both the president and the chancellor.

In one instance, a retired professor wrote a prescient note to top university officials, cautioning that “serious backlash could result” and that “students making demands, protests, disrupting events or that kind of thing won’t sell well outstate.”

His prediction proved spot-on. The 7,400 pages of emails, reviewed exclusively by these two publications, reveal how Mizzou overwhelmingly lost the support of longtime sports fans, donors, and alumni. Parents and grandparents wrote in from around the country declaring that their family members wouldn’t be attending Mizzou after the highly publicized controversy. Some current students talked about leaving.

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/inside-the-fallout-at-mizzou/?mod=sm_tw_post

Wow, enrollment down 25%!

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good. More and more people are waking up to this poison. Too bad the 2010s will probably be known as the faux social justice decade. An age where emotionally masochistic women roamed the earth, and outrage was only for a specific group of people. A time where social justice was just a car spinning aimlessly in the mud going nowhere.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The school has lost millions in tuition, they've had to close a dorm and have started firing people.

Allowing the animals to run the zoo doesn't appear to be a good way to run a college.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do you guys think this is the fault of the student protestors and not the fault of an ineffective and incompetent administration that failed to respond to student issues and lost the confidence of not only the student body, but a significant portion of the faculty as well?

Keep in mind that Chancellor Loftin is still making his $459k salary while doing nothing - he was supposed to move into a position directing research at the school's health institute, but the institution's corporate partner didn't want him.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/04/14/duties-of-former-chancellor-loftins-job-at-missouri-unclear/
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news...cle_8c53dd50-ee76-5633-ad1f-ee22ed05c61a.html

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do you guys think this is the fault of the student protestors and not the fault of an ineffective and incompetent administration that failed to respond to student issues and lost the confidence of not only the student body, but a significant portion of the faculty as well?
Because it wasn't the faculty (well for the most part) who were making idiots of themselves on national tv, which is why their enrollment has sunk.

Most students want to go to school to learn, not to participate in victimhood politics.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433171/mizzou-campus-protests-drive-down-enrollment

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because it wasn't the faculty (well for the most part) who were making idiots of themselves on national tv, which is why their enrollment has sunk.

The students were protesting the administration's lack of response to circumstances on campus. The administration had a habit of being tone deaf or otherwise dismissing concerns of students, including issues beyond the racial matters that got all the press.

Why is it the students' fault for protesting and not the administration's fault for failing to address their concerns in a more timely manner?

Yeah I'm sure that's why they've decided to do it now, not that it'll save them 200k and that they have no students to fill those beds....

I'm the enrollment numbers are a factor, but it's not the same as if they went from fully useful dorms to empty dorms. If they were slated to be demo'd next year, then one would think the school would have enough capacity without them to house all the students that would've attended had enrollment not dropped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What a way to rule a college.
Claim someone called you a Nword, but forget that you probably have half a dozen CD's by so called gansta rappers that use the word with regularity and are rich for calling women ho's, while praising drug culture, murder, assault, and of course hate for cops and whites.
Then scrawl a swastika on a wall somewhere, as if that's reiterating the N word, then have an irate professor challenge a student reporter on a private property campus, and POOF! You own the place.
Bow down, kiss rumps, scream racism, scream your child will never set foot on that campus, when in truth one has to wonder if they'd even qualify to be on the campus with their current HS GPA, and sure enough, its news worthy! The inmates are running the asylum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The students were protesting the administration's lack of response to circumstances on campus. The administration had a habit of being tone deaf or otherwise dismissing concerns of students, including issues beyond the racial matters that got all the press.

Why is it the students' fault for protesting and not the administration's fault for failing to address their concerns in a more timely manner?
Because the concerns of the students were stupid?

Demanding that the president of the school publically castigate himself for the sin of being born white?

Making demands of how the school should spend it's money.

They make demands that people need to be hire because of the color of their skin, they demand "safe spaces" free of white people.

What sane parent would send their kid to this school?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some of the items the students were complaining about were indeed hurtful. I mean read many that didn't involve people connected to the campus, and you have no control over that. It's rather unrealistic to expect them too.

Other things? They could have, but I don't know the whole circumstance or story. They might have done something, and it wasn't good enough for them too. There is a big difference between to the two.

No doubt they (admin) could have made some serious errors of judgement as well. We don't know really. We never do with these types of stories.

If the administration was acting like a bunch of nillies? They need to move on. Yet, I have no idea if these students acted in an adult and mature manner with their complaints either. I see some college kids screaming about stuff, and I can't even understand what they are upset about. They use all these made up terms that they can't explain, and then get MAD at you for asking.

Also, some of their demands aren't inclusive at all. Yet, they want them mandated. Maybe they have money to fork over for that, but I don't. I have a hard enough time helping to pay for Engineering and Nursing classes.

Finally, I guess the many students that didn't participate in these protests that were intimated and frightened by how they were handling themselves don't count for anything. If they did count? They have a funny way of showing it. I guess the dropouts and transfers did that for other reasons instead.

I think both sides were acting irrational, and irresponsibly.

4. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff and faculty of color.

As a parent that could be paying for this? That's a big fat NO! If students CHOOSE to take these courses? More power to them. Mandatory should be like Math or science, etc. The craziest my college got was to mandate swimming. You had to prove you could swim with a 10 minute test? Done. If you couldn't swim? You would learn if you wanted to graduate. The big joke on campus was they wanted to make sure we didn't drown.

College is expensive enough, and I don't need added costs because someone wants to force their viewpoints that we may or may not agree with on this subject. Many of these aspects they speak about are speculative, and are viewed differently even from people of color. When people are asking for 'enforcement' throughout all campus life? Big red flag that it will only show 'chosen' POV's, and not aspects they don't care for. The emails they received on campus already DON'T agree with these individuals with all their demands - that included people of color too.

I find that 'awareness' and 'inclusion' today doesn't mean what the dictionary claims. Nothing can be 'comprehensive' and 'inclusive' if it is to be viewed only via individuals of color with their one sided viewpoints. Inclusive means 'included', and when you DON'T include whites - or people of color that don't agree them? It's not inclusive. They also aren't interested in their POV, or feelings on the matter. I can feel it, and they can tell me otherwise all they want. I don't have to accept it. They wouldn't be pushing people away from their protests and telling people to leave if they were all inclusive.

Don't get my wrong here - protests are a good thing. It brings about discussion! It can bring about change as well. Yet, when your protests are aliening more people than you can afford too? Maybe try a different approach to your protests.

The administration handled this awful! The students - no offense - were not much better. Both of them helped with the downfall of enrollment, endowments, etc. They wont' have the funding to do much of anything now. Everyone loses - nothing accomplished.

It's just sad. Very sad.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Claim someone called you a Nword, but forget that you probably have half a dozen CD's by so called gansta rappers that use the word with regularity and are rich for calling women ho's, while praising drug culture, murder, assault, and of course hate for cops and whites.
Yeah, because black people all have rap CDs? :rolleyes: Think about what you're saying. SMH.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What a way to rule a college.
Good to see you rise above generalizing and stereotyping people by the mere color of their skin.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
School down in enrollment and money due to their tone-deafness concerning racism on campus, but somehow it's black people's fault. Sure! :thumbsup:
LOL Yeah.. that's it... it's the racism on campus... lets ignore all the letters from people saying they have no interest in going to a school where daily protests over microagressions is a thing.

Naw, it's the "racism".

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
LOL Yeah.. that's it... it's the racism on campus... lets ignore all the letters from people saying they have no interest in going to a school where daily protests over microagressions is a thing.

Naw, it's the "racism".
Right, we're supposed to assume all these e-mails really came from parents and alumni of the school as opposed to a bunch of conservatives writing in... maybe I should just claim it's a 4chan attack and argue that there is no undercurrent of anger. I have no doubt people are angry about perceived capitulation, but there are also people that are angry about their lack of action in the first place.

Upvote 0