Mixed questions welcome

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If from now on you had to listen to one secular song over and over all day every day which one would it be (Name & Artist please)?

Interesting. Um... well, I have a version of "The Windmills Of Your Mind" that's just an instrumental on panpipes - probably something like that. Something I can listen to and enjoy but also something I can ignore. Any song, if listened to repeatedly, drives one nuts - there are many pieces of music I like more but they're not all that easy to ignore when they're playing.

Or do you mean someone actually singing a song? That'd probably be an Enya song - perhaps "Marble Halls". Again, something quite quiet that I can either listen to or ignore.

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you take the elevator or stairs if you have a choice?

Usually the elevator, except when I'm at the university - by the time the silly thing arrives you could have climbed the stairs to your next class and probably got out all your books as well.

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
last concert you attended??

The last concert I attended was a bit of a disaster, really. My mum won tickets. I had my hands clamped over my ears all evening. (Incidentally, the music was reasonable once crudely muted somewhat - not bad at all, but far too loud.) I can't remember the singer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I remember reading a lot as a kid too.

Have you ever finished reading a book out of pure stubbornness, even though you think the book is terrible?

Yes. Although I'm not entirely sure that the craziest example I remember of this tendency counts as "reading" the book, or merely "perservering" with it: I attempted to read Les Miserables when I was twelve. I did read the first twenty or so pages fully... I read in massive detail about the Archdeacon's stupid breakfast and he isn't even a main character!... so I eventually ended up flipping through the pages and only reading the bits that mentioned Jean Valjean, Javert and/or Cosette. The book must have been over a thousand pages. The actual plot was perhaps a hundred pages. If you can name an author who pads his books out more atrociously I will be surprised. Even the worst Dickens books aren't that bad.

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you think is the best adaptation of book->movie that you have ever seen?

The extended version of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings. Although it didn't stick slavishly to the storyline Tolkien wrote - particularly in the case of Faramir - it has the sense of gravitas and history and frankly, I thought Faramir was an improvement... I remember in the book that I was astounded he refused to even consider taking the Ring because it didn't fit in with what I knew about it already (namely that the Ring is a great temptation to everyone who encounters it and there's no way the pull can be fought that successfully). There were only two things I really didn't like in the films:
1. the pacing of the first one (I don't care what Jackson says: Moria is the climax and then there's a whole hour of boredom) and
2. the death of Saruman scene (too Hollywood, too absurd, too contrived, and to cap it off creates huge problem in the area of why on earth Pippin wanted the palantir if he knew Sauron and Saruman had been using it to communicate).

Shrek also gets an honourable mention for being far better than the book it's based on. (The book is not very good at all.)

How about you? What's your favourite book -> film adaptation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cute Tink

Blah
Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟102,861.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The original Dune adaptation. I know there were lots of changes, particularly in the Weirding Way department, but I like how the original movie did it. In fact, it's my favorite movie and because of the movie I read the book and I wasn't disappointed with either, which is rare for me. I did not like the made for TV version of the book nearly as much.

What do you think is the worst one?

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the worst book -> film adaptation is The Last Unicorn. It's one of my favourite books and the adaptation is... abysmal. Not only is the animation dreadful (although I will make an exception for King Haggard, who is quite delightfully dessicated), the songs set my teeth on edge, the voice acting was boring at best (again with the exception of King Haggard and also Schmendrick in places), it was very difficult to stay interested in, and worst of all there was one moment where Schmendrick loses his balance and steadies himself against the unicorn! Anyone who's even passably familiar with the book knows that that is a huge mistake.

"How do you know she is a unicorn?" Molly demanded. "And why were you afraid to let her touch you? I saw you. You were afraid of her."

"I doubt I shall feel like talking for very long," the cat replied without rancor. "I should not waste time in foolishness if I were you. As to your first question, no cat out of its second skin can ever be deceived by appearances. Unlike human beings, who enjoy them. As for your second question --" Here he faltered, and suddenly became very interested in washing; nor would he speak until he had licked himself fluffy and then licked himself smooth again. Even then he would not look at Molly, but examined his paws.

"If she had touched me," he said very softly, "I would have been hers and not my own, not ever again. I longed to have her touch me, but I could not let her do it. The price is too high for a cat to pay."

See? Fatal error.

---

The first two Harry Potter films receive dishonourable mentions for being draggingly overlong and for the poor special effects. My sister said that the Basilisk looked like a genetically modified chicken. Unfortunately for the film, I agree with her.

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never read The Last Unicorn, but I actually love the movie. Perhaps it is one of those fond memories of childhood.

Perhaps it is. I first saw the film in my early twenties, which is probably about five years after I fell head over heels in love with the book. The film would have had to be utterly extraordinary to live up to it. Maybe I would have liked the film more if I hadn't read the book at all. Sometimes it's like that, isn't it?

Are you doing anything for Valentines Day?

No, I didn't do anything special. (Valentine's was two days ago here.)

Upvote 0