catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One of the craziest Q I had in reply to a post similar to this:

WHAT is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Well, I guess I asked for it... thank you for making me laugh!

Answer: A swallow is always laden. If your throat's so dry that there's no saliva, you can't swallow! Even just saliva counts as a laden swallow.

Kind of begs the question about the air speed velocity of a swallow laden with an unladen swallow, doesn't it? And the answer to that poser would depend on a) how quick you are at figuring out bad puns and b) how fast you are capable of chasing the neighbourhood's resident tomcat over uncertain terrain.

*laugh*

Just out of curiosity, anonymous052280, what was your answer to that unutterably strange question?

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2011
Manila
✟7,681.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I guess I asked for it... thank you for making me laugh!

Answer: A swallow is always laden. If your throat's so dry that there's no saliva, you can't swallow! Even just saliva counts as a laden swallow.

Kind of begs the question about the air speed velocity of a swallow laden with an unladen swallow, doesn't it? And the answer to that poser would depend on a) how quick you are at figuring out bad puns and b) how fast you are capable of chasing the neighbourhood's resident tomcat over uncertain terrain.

*laugh*

Just out of curiosity, anonymous052280, what was your answer to that unutterably strange question?

Didn't even think of puns that time... I thought the quetion was more factual/scientific so my answer was...

"roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour"
Source: http(semi-colon)(double slash)style(dot)org(slash)unladenswallow(slash)

Hope you get more interesting questions... My into thread questions made me sweat.... It was a hot welcome :)

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How many ants could you fit into a wine bottle?

I refuse to spend ten hours with a wine bottle and an ant colony. So I suppose, for me personally, the answer is zero. :) There's probably some sort of mathematical formula, but I couldn't find the average volume of an ant in Google, so that option was out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What don't you like about horror movies?

If I want to be frightened, it has to be for a good plot and/or character reason. Horror movies, for the most part, do not have a plot beyond "oh, let's terrify the audience as much as we can" and the characters are quite often stock characters.

I also do not like being terrified. "Jump moments" I can handle, and even enjoy. (This is what The Sixth Sense has). Gruesomeness, sickness, vileness, psychopathic twisted violence... no. No, no, no. Ick.

I suppose the only type of horror film I enjoy has to be more of a... well, let's put it this way. Marley's ghost, as described in the original book A Christmas Carol, is truly horrific - but the horror is in spite of it and beyond its control. (Incidentally, I enjoyed the recent Disney adaptation of the story). Similarly, if I am to enjoy a horror film, it has to have everything I enjoy in a non-horror film, and the horror side has to strike me as in spite of it and beyond its control. For example, The Sixth Sense, first and foremost, is a character-driven drama... that just happens to be about a little boy who can see dead people, and the dead people just happen to be really scary in spite of themselves. A Christmas Carol is similar, except that the emphasis is so much on the message and so little on horror that I don't even think of it as a horror film.

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is your favorite genre for movies?

Drama, comedy, fantasy, and children's films - including cartoons. This list has been compiled from looking at my DVD collection, and yes, I know it's a weird mixture. Oh... and any or all of these can be in a foreign language. I've enjoyed stuff ranging from the German character drama The Lives of Others to the Japanese children's anime The Cat Returns in their original languages - although the subtitles got switched on for the latter one!

Plus it's sometimes an awful lot of fun to watch something in a foreign language. I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in German and you would not believe what Ron sounded like...

However, I will add the specification that any comedy must actually be amusing and, if remotely possible, hilarious. And so much of it isn't even mildly amusing. Hilarious... it sometimes seems as if Hollywood's forgotten what it is, let alone how to do it. (Although, to be completely honest, much of what they turn out is "romantic comedy" and I was never much of a one for romance. I'll put up with it if there's something else to the tale besides boy meets girl and love everafter. Please - spare me.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is fun to watch movies in other languages. Watch The Lion King in Spanish. Scar's voice is hilarious.

Do you have a DVR?

Thanks for the suggestion! I've just watched the song "Be Prepared" in Spanish and Scar's voice is wonderful. The German version is loading on YouTube as I type - I can't believe I never thought of this before! (I speak German, so it'll be really interesting to see how closely it's been translated.)

Given that I'm not exactly sure what a DVR is, I most likely do not have one. :)

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A DVR is a cable box that records your TV shows for you and allows you to pause live TV.

How many languages can you speak?

Oh, okay. Well, TV's going to go digital over here (New Zealand) soon, and I think that feature will come along with it.

I speak English and German fluently - as in I can easily make myself understood in German but my grammar's a bit shoddy. "Be Prepared" in German was interesting - songs are a bit harder to understand because they lengthen or shorten syllables to fit the music - but the voice actor sounded very much like the English one. English is my first language.

Other languages I speak a few words of (but nowhere near enough to actually converse) are Spanish and Maori.

Maori's an official language of New Zealand and I had to learn it for slightly over five years, but we never got much beyond "hello how are you". You have no idea how utterly irritating it is to be forced to learn the same thing repeatedly for years on end. I ended up repeatedly forgetting most of it in pure self-defence. The only thing I really remember of it now are some of the songs and a couple of random words and phrases.

My Spanish is even worse - practically nonexistent. I can count to ten if I think about it, and know two very simple phrases. I only learnt it for a few weeks. It was in an immersion class and they were going far too fast for me. (It was in Switzerland - which is why my German is so good; I did an exchange year - and everybody else in the class was at least quadlingual already.)

Do you speak any other languages?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I speak some Spanish - enough to hold my own to find out what I need to for simple things. My limitation is my vocabulary mostly. I have forgotten most of the words that I learned.

I know 1 phrase in Danish and I can count to 4 in Korean. I took one Italian class, but it being really close to Spanish in some cases just messed with my mind.

Would you ever skydive or bungee jump?

Upvote 0