Mitchie, I got to confession today

jef1225

Nov 24, 2015
✟17,378.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well you are all better than me, for I have never been or done confession. I am a convert that was baptized confirmed about 7 years ago. Since then I have fallen away so badly. I know I need to go to confession and start again but like many here have said am a bit nervous and scared because I have never done it and on the other side I have been lazy and putting it off. I wouldn't know where to start. I mean other than murder, rape, and homosexuality I have pretty much sinned almost every sin out there a lot. I guess I figured since i'm not a murderer, rapist homosexual that I was good, even though I know better than that. I think I am afraid of giving up the world for god for whatever reason. Plus I feel like a pray and pray to no avail sometimes. I love my catholic faith but the world just has this hold on me and it has been hard for me to let it go.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well you are all better than me, for I have never been or done confession. I am a convert that was baptized confirmed about 7 years ago. Since then I have fallen away so badly. I know I need to go to confession and start again but like many here have said am a bit nervous and scared because I have never done it and on the other side I have been lazy and putting it off. I wouldn't know where to start. I mean other than murder, rape, and homosexuality I have pretty much sinned almost every sin out there a lot. I guess I figured since i'm not a murderer, rapist homosexual that I was good, even though I know better than that. I think I am afraid of giving up the world for god for whatever reason. Plus I feel like a pray and pray to no avail sometimes. I love my catholic faith but the world just has this hold on me and it has been hard for me to let it go.

I understand how you feel to a certain extent. There have been times where I fell deeply into sin and it was hard to convince myself to go back to Confession and start again. Please know that I am praying for you.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I bet all of us here are at least as accomplished at sinning as you are. So we're not 'better' than you.

As to how to go to confession, you could just show up and say you have never done this before. You would first want to do what is called an examination of conscience. Basically figure out the big things you know you need to repent of and that you are sorry for and that you want to stop doing. It doesn't have to be every long forgotten sin. Go with a short list and tell the priest this is all new to you but you think you need it. Don't worry about what to say, because as long as you are honest and don't try to blame everybody else for the wrong you did, I'm sure you will bring tears of joy to that priest.

When my wife became Catholic the priest offered to run through a 'practice' confession. My wife asked if they could just make it the real thing instead. I can imagine a sloppy priest not giving instruction on confession, but they really should have provided that for you. Better now than never. Just go. Find out the times it is offered in your parish and show up. Tell him your story, a bit briefly, and run with it. It's not complicated. It's just getting up the courage to up and do it. Put on your Nike shoes or something and try it. It's very hard for me, and it took a long time for me to build up enough courage, so I know how hard it can be. Let me know how it went once you actually go to confession.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
By the way, a good Catholic Bible is the RSVCE, Revised Standard Bible Catholic Edition. Published by Ignatius Press. I highly recommend this version. You cab buy it online or at any Catholic bookstore, probably at many other bookstores as well. RSVCE. Also found online at The Holy Bible. RSVCE

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hey Jeff, any updates? It's the middle of Lent and I'm trying to work up the courage to go to confession again. And it's a challenge. Did you work up the courage to do it yet? Did you find a good Bible yet?

Upvote 0