Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
We never officially had one IIRC, though the Great Seal has E Publius Unum.

Must have been one of those anti-commie things like adding "under God" in the pledge of allegiance.. which was around that time as well.

Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Life Is Easy When You're Purple
Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sheriff Reveals What He Just Added to Every Police Patrol Car — and It’s Almost Sure to Ignite a Major Debate | The Blaze

“I am proud to announce that all of the Stone County Sheriff’s Office Patrol vehicles now have ‘In God we trust’ on the back,” Rader wrote. “This became our National Motto in 1956 and is on all of our currency. There has been no better time than now to proudly display our National Motto!”
Bold, timely, and right on. Good for him.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Must have been one of those anti-commie things like adding "under God" in the pledge of allegiance.. which was around that time as well.
It looks like it was in use unofficially on money for a while before it officially became the national motto.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It was also just after the biggest war in history. A lot of people drew close to God then.

Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Life Is Easy When You're Purple
Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In a diverse society like America, "God", can be seen to pertain to anyone's deity of choice being it is an umbrella term.
Whereas there's no worry about offending the non-believers because God isn't there so he can't offend them. :) If they still have issues seeing a word describing something they don't believe is real, that means they're opposed to those who hold faith in that which they do not respect. And that's prejudice against people. Their problem. Not ours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The decade after WWII.

Yes I know this. We had a huge boom in missionaries after WW2. I never agreed with having "in god we trust" on my money and I really don't agree with it being the nations motto, but whatever man it is what it is.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oddly, I don't find that saying on their vehicles at all comforting. I would expect to be treated with less consideration if I had dealings with them, for some reason.

I get that sense too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What happen to the keep God out of government? Or does it not apply anymore?

It's been our national motto since July 30th 1956 when president Eisenhower and the congress approved of it. Today it's on our currency and on government buildings. But if you have a problem with it I will gladly take all your money that has the national motto on it :)

Here is a little of the history and a link for further reading:

"In 1956, the nation was at a particularly tense time in the Cold War, and the United States wanted to distinguish itself from the Soviet Union, which promoted state atheism. As a result, the 84th Congress passed a joint resolution "declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States." "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oddly, I don't find that saying on their vehicles at all comforting. I would expect to be treated with less consideration if I had dealings with them, for some reason.
I would imagine atheist police officers would be uncomfortable with that.
Which makes me wonder what the ratio is between Christian and non-Christian police officers...

images

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like he's got it under control. (wonders why tulc is focused on that)

it was the only part of the publicity stunt that seemed real. :wave:
tulc(tends to be interested in the real things, not the faux "because, 'merica" parts) ;)

Upvote 0