Mississippi to make the Bible the state book.

notalone32

Jan 4, 2015
UK
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I refer you to 1 Timothy 4:12 ;)

But seriously, I've had quite a bit of experience with stuff, mainly with things that a lot of people my age and younger never had to worry about. My life wasn't exactly perfect growing up due to my mental issues. Coming to Christ is helping me begin the process of resolving all of that. :)

Amen. Sorry if this is a bit personal for the thread but I'd love to hear your testimony sometime.

Yup I agree with what you said before kind of. Its great if it IS a witness and I like that Christians are making a stand for their faith but sadly I doubt the average Joe would notice?
Plenty of people wouldn't care what their state book was. I think they would notice though If Christians DID start behaving like Christians. That's a challenge for all of us

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟549,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm Christian. I was suggesting that anyone who views the Bible and all religions as fiction should not get upset over Mississippi making the Bible the state book.

That's a silly position to take. My non-acceptance of a particular religion doesn't mean that my government's elevating of that religion's holy book to a position of honor doesn't have some impact on me. You're a Christian, which means that you accept most/all other religious texts as fiction. If MS made the Quran or the Vedas the official "state book," you'd hhave a problem with that, wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟550,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm Christian. I was suggesting that anyone who views the Bible and all religions as fiction should not get upset over Mississippi making the Bible the state book.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if we weren't supposed to have a secular government. One that doesn't give preferential treatment to any religion.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟320,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Plenty of people wouldn't care what their state book was.
I would care if I was a different religion, my state was doing this. Also is the state book a book that all students have to read?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟549,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would care if I was a different religion, my state was doing this. Also is the state book a book that all students have to read?

No. The state <anything> is a symbolic that that's virtually meaningless. There are state birds, state trees, state insects, etc - if you pick a category, chances are some state has recognized an example of it as their state <thing>. It's basically a way for a state legislature to acknowledge or recognize the significance that this <thing> has had in the state's history. Usually, those <things> are also at least somewhat unique to the state.

State Symbols USA - official state and national symbols, emblems, icons

Given the Bible's prominence in our early American history, I think there's an argument to be made that the Bible is a perfectly valid choice for the state book, merely on historical grounds. At the same time, it's not unique to MS at all, and it carries with it a lot of baggage - namely, that it's often used in politics as a weapon. IMO, using the Bible and God as a political weapon is about as egregious an example of taking the Lord's name in vain as one can make - certainly much more so than saying "gd".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
And if the state you live in decided to make the Qur'an the state book?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟320,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No. The state <anything> is a symbolic that that's virtually meaningless. There are state birds, state trees, state insects, etc - if you pick a category, chances are some state has recognized an example of it as their state <thing>. It's basically a way for a state legislature to acknowledge or recognize the significance that this <thing> has had in the state's history. Usually, those <things> are also at least somewhat unique to the state.

State Symbols USA - official state and national symbols, emblems, icons

Given the Bible's prominence in our early American history, I think there's an argument to be made that the Bible is a perfectly valid choice for the state book, merely on historical grounds. At the same time, it's not unique to MS at all, and it carries with it a lot of baggage - namely, that it's often used in politics as a weapon. IMO, using the Bible and God as a political weapon is about as egregious an example of taking the Lord's name in vain as one can make - certainly much more so than saying "gd".

So its perfectly fine for Utah to have a Book of Mormon as a state book, since it's a bit part of Utah history? Right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I really don't see how this would not be challanged in court.

For that matter, I can see some Christians using it as governmental support for their religion.

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? With the Bible the official State book, anything you do in Its name is officially sanctioned by the state...

...at least, that's how they'll see it.

Upvote 0

Brennos

Son of Esus, Grand-Son of Teutates.
Dec 24, 2014
✟7,662.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
On a purely legislative point of view I think it poses a problem, as " the state doesn't endorse any religions."
It might not be giving any power to christianity, but it is still puting Christianity on a pedestal through a state decision. Which is against the law I think.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ours is the mockingbird...guess how many states have that one as their bird. FIVE! As a birdwatcher who literally has to see them every day, I'm a bit bothered by the unoriginality of the choice. Can't we have something like the Great Blue Heron as our state bird? None of the others have it, and I see them all the time where I live.

In fact, I'm so offended that I think I'll go sue the state government for its shameless endorsement of a very controversial bird ;)

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think so. And if they did then I think MS would have chosen one from a native author, if this was a normal practice, and something that wouldn't be controversial. So Faulkner's works would probably do well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟550,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it normal, for states to have official books?

I would vote for "Of Mice and Men" for the California State Book. Unlike the bible, it at least is relevant to California history, takes place in California and was written by John Steinbeck who was born in California.

How is the bible in any way relevant to Mississippi?

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would vote for "Of Mice and Men" for the California State Book. Unlike the bible, it at least is relevant to California history, takes place in California and was written by John Steinbeck who was born in California.

How is the bible in any way relevant to Mississippi?

In the same sense that the Quran is relevant to Saudi Arabia, so I can see the connection. However, it's not Mississippi-exclusive (one of my complaints a few months back about how everyone around me seemed to be "provincial in their faith" :p).

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟549,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So its perfectly fine for Utah to have a Book of Mormon as a state book, since it's a bit part of Utah history? Right.

I didn't say that it was fine; I said that you could make an argument for it. If I thought that the people behind the selection didn't have religious motives, then I would probably be ok with it. But I don't think that, at all.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Of course it does, it's a government endorsement of religion.

it certainly opens the door for further endorsement -- once they point to their "official book" for justification...

Upvote 0