Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
indeed. the good thing is that for every one of those stories, there are many more of legit appearences by angels. if we let them, these demonic instances can keep us sober minded, which can be a good thing.

Well, first I can start off by saying I'm not anyone special, and I don't have any expectation of an angel ever appearing to me (I'd be scared half to death if one did, whether I perceived him as a Holy Angel or an imposter) and I don't think I'm on Satan's radar. But with that said, I do believe the spiritual world is a reality, and I think all of us can expect to be at least bothered by demonic spirits. And hopefully we have angelic spirits helping us as well.

I guess I was actually taught this lesson early on, while praying. Now that makes me sad, because I guess what that amounts to is that I may have failed to make connections and guarded myself when I should have.

In my defense, I don't think the necessary connection was ever given, and at the time I was listening to a church that has since not done what it should have done, and I was happily grabbing any spiritual thing that came my way, since honestly I found precious little of substance at that stage. They say hindsight is 20-20. But as I said, I did willfully ignore a warning (which was as suspect as everything else I was involved with at that time, but oh well).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I gotta say though...its like being handled a poisoned chalice or something. I can honestly say I am still scared. The worst part is the demons are constantly coming up with creative ways using the same lies to mess with me.

Every Lent I am almost going to assume I am under attack. I am not going to make any big changes aside from repenting during Lent. Up is down, right is left. Man Satan is a bastard...

Well it sounds to me like you have a fair handle on being cautious and anticipating attacks. Though I'm not sure if the cleverness of the attacker might not cause a shift in strategy once you've identified it ...

Perhaps it's best to always be cautious.

I really appreciate your thread. It's given me a chance to reflect on things that have been on my mind lately (how I made so MANY mistakes, but not fatal ones, and how I may have suffered much, but in the end God brought things out for the good - some things perhaps even better than I might have had otherwise but I'll never know. But a great deal of work was required of me, as well as patience and suffering, and I'm still not fully recovered in some things). I've been thinking of all that and wondering the "why's" because my desire and effort was always to follow God, though I have done so very imperfectly.

You've helped me see some answers. And I fear I had none to give you, but I'm glad you asked the questions.

And Satan is a monstrously evil creature, using sweet words sometimes while plotting our literal ripping apart, but only after he destroys everything good in our lives.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
indeed. the good thing is that for every one of those stories, there are many more of legit appearences by angels. if we let them, these demonic instances can keep us sober minded, which can be a good thing.

And I see I got sidetracked from addressing your real point, which is a very good one. Especially to be sober-minded. But it's good to know there is more legitimate good to think on.

I just don't have any expectation to see it with my own eyes, which pulled me off topic a bit. My "lesson" included a visual image, but only pictures in my mind, like a dream, nothing "real".

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just don't have any expectation to see it with my own eyes, which pulled me off topic a bit. My "lesson" included a visual image, but only pictures in my mind, like a dream, nothing "real".

good, that is the correct attitude to have. that way, should you get one down the line or whatever with your own eyes, you will be more discerning.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

good, that is the correct attitude to have. that way, should you get one down the line or whatever with your own eyes, you will be more discerning.

Well, like I said, first thing is I would be scared to death.

Second thing, hearing what I've heard recently - I'd question it.

But seriously, how many people ever expect to be visited by an angel? I struggle to keep up with fairly normal routines sometimes, and just to keep myself in line in small things. I don't think I'll ever reach those "spiritual heights". ;)

That's one thing Orthodoxy has done for me already. I think I have a much more realistic view of my own shortcomings and struggles. Which I have learned is a valuable thing to have, for quite a number of reasons.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, like I said, first thing is I would be scared to death.

same here

Second thing, hearing what I've heard recently - I'd question it.

yep, gotta test the spirits

But seriously, how many people ever expect to be visited by an angel? I struggle to keep up with fairly normal routines sometimes, and just to keep myself in line in small things. I don't think I'll ever reach those "spiritual heights". ;)

just those who need to see the angels (for whatever reason) or have attained theosis so that their spiritual eyes are opened. at some point, either when we die or when Christ returns, we all will see them.

That's one thing Orthodoxy has done for me already. I think I have a much more realistic view of my own shortcomings and struggles. Which I have learned is a valuable thing to have, for quite a number of reasons.

haha, I hear you sis

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I want to say, most likely " I dont know, dont wana know, im outta here" when it comes to seeing things. Being isolated plays enough tricks on me. Never mind seeing angels. Do not want.

I struggle enough with my own desires. Why redouble the weight of my cross?

Yes, I have known people who strongly desire to see such things, for whatever reason.

One friend claims to have seen demons after praying to see angels.

I don't anticipate praying any prayers like that. I know they are there, I don't need proof (that being the main reason people seem to want to see them).

Isolated? Not by choice I take it? Last year I came out of living 3 years on a very isolated farm, preceded by a year somewhat isolated on a mountain (but I could drive down). It didn't play tricks on me, but ... after a while I got to chatting with the farm animals, lol. (They never talked back though ;) ).

Being very alone can do all sorts of things. Some good, some bad. I wish I had had the sense to focus that time favorably for growth, but I didn't really see any potential benefit in it at the time. Now sometimes I wish for a little more isolation, but in truth I think my balance is about right. I pray you can use your situation more effectively than I did.

And I think you are wise to concentrate on dealing with your own struggles first. Though ... I wonder how many of us ever get to the point where we don't have to anymore. Meaning I guess that's a lifelong vocation. ;)

Upvote 0

Evangelos

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,282.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about my cross on a personal level past the fact that the answer is both yes and no. I guess sometimes pride can hold you hostage.

My growth is usually in a very painful and quick burst. I don't know how it is for others but its usually intense growing pains and then intense stillness. Both are hard.

Being in constant prayer is pretty much the only solace. Like I said, I'd rather not see anything. I'm content without those 'adventures'.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about my cross on a personal level past the fact that the answer is both yes and no. I guess sometimes pride can hold you hostage.

My growth is usually in a very painful and quick burst. I don't know how it is for others but its usually intense growing pains and then intense stillness. Both are hard.

Being in constant prayer is pretty much the only solace. Like I said, I'd rather not see anything. I'm content without those 'adventures'.

Well it's your thread. You ought to be able to direct it as you like. :)

I think generally speaking there are those times I tend to move forward quickly. As a matter of fact they are sometimes accompanied by pain. More often than not.

There tends to be more sweetness in the slower, steadier moving towards God.

And sometimes there is growth through things I don't realize until much later was growth.

But generally speaking I can identify somewhat with what you describe in your own growth. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. All I can say is I am being battered by the storm. Maybe ots a good thing

If the monks I have read are right (and I'd believe them before I'd look to my own experience) - then that probably is a good thing.

I think God can grant us safety and rest. Some of us are weak perhaps and need it sometimes. But it would seem that being on the front lines and growing, one can expect much opposition.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the monks I have read are right (and I'd believe them before I'd look to my own experience) - then that probably is a good thing.

I think God can grant us safety and rest. Some of us are weak perhaps and need it sometimes. But it would seem that being on the front lines and growing, one can expect much opposition.

yep, if we were truly following the devil, he would leave us alone.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
after checking out that link you shared, I did some more quick searching and found this blog on spiritual prelest that has a few stories that seem to define it pretty well. To "never trust oneself in anything" seems to be sound advice when it comes to spiritual matters.

Just wanted to thank you again for this. I finally got around to reading it. It was very helpful on this topic.

A few of these lessons I have learned in a VERY basic way, but I had to learn them the hard way. The cost was very high, and I may not yet know all the costs. :(

I wish I had had this level of wisdom years ago, or some guide. And I learned more reading it today.

Thank you again for sharing it. I think it would bear me re-reading it again later, since I could probably understand more. I'm going to look for some of the resources they recommend too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums