ibreve.gif
r
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l)
n.
  1. An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God: “Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves” (Katherine Anne Porter).
  2. One that excites admiring awe. See Synonyms at wonder.
  3. A miracle play.
There's nothing supernatural about someone surviving something like this.

Upvote 0

DixieBelle

Veteran
Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
✟8,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
My heart has been so touched by this story- when I went to bed last night, it was after rejoicing when hearing the good news that they were found alive, and upon awakening this morning, my heart broke when I heard of all that had happened in the hours after that announcement. I truly can't imagine the pain and heartache these folks are going through right now, but I pray God brings peace and comfort to all the family, friends, and community. God bless you all.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such a tragedy.

This mine had been cited for violations many, many times. The families were so angry when the bad news came out, that they had to call a swat team in to protect the offficals of the mine. Companies like this that follow or allow unsafe practices that result in loss of life, should not be allowed to operate until all the violations are cleared up, and then should be inspected rigorously to be sure, that they do not relapse back into unsafe practices.

These families are suffering horribly. I don't know any of them, and even I could hardly watch the news today because it was so depressing. :(

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JPPT1974 said:
We are with Bush until January 20 2009.
Just accept if you like it or not.
Because he is there until that date.

What does this have to do with the coal mining tragedy in WV?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:
Posts #34 and #36.

yea, unfortunately those posts have nothing to do with the tragedy in WV either. Just some partisan hacks creating strawmen and then knocking them down.

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
For those who're blaming the MSM for misinformation, yesterday's Atlanta Journal-Constitution had a picture on the front page, it was the governor of WV briefing the press about the 12 survivors..... no one from the media could climb down into the mine to verify personally that they were alive so lay off them a bit.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jacey said:
For those who're blaming the MSM for misinformation, yesterday's Atlanta Journal-Constitution had a picture on the front page, it was the governor of WV briefing the press about the 12 survivors..... no one from the media could climb down into the mine to verify personally that they were alive so lay off them a bit.

correct... the very most the media can do is add those two little words "unconfirmed report" and then say anything they want after that.

Although very unfortunate, but worthy of being addressed, I feel the main focal point should be the deaths... not the accident of miscommunication (As tragic as it was)....What are you gonna do? Sue someone for hearing wrong or miscommunicating in the midst of a very emotional and tiring resuce? (which the CEO repeatedly addressed over and ove). As terrible as it was, I feel it is noteworthy to point out that no single individual will be punished for the miscommunication due to the surrounding circumstances.

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
CaligulaNero said:
"The Lord moves in mysterious ways"

Even if you are a believer, how can you possibly believe the Lord had anything to do with this horrible accident?

Like I said. If people have religion questions do it in another thread. To mock the beliefs of those who are suffering because you have a chip on your shoulder about Christians and Christianity is rude, heartless and insensitive. If you want to kick the mourners in the groin at least wait until the dead are buried.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Funny thing is, Christians have more power to interpret the Bible than a nonbelievers attempt.

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,364.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
CaligulaNero said:
sorry, but if god interceded for this one man, what does it say about what he didn't do with the other men? How can people think that way?

Because they are desperate for any way to justify the 'kind and loving god' mantra that they want to believe in no matter what the facts may be.

I'm sure the relatives of the dead men don't think a great deal of 'the miracle' that led to one man surviving and not the others.

If god is all powerful and able to do anything would it have taken any more effort on his part to save the others? No. But god works in mysterious ways, mere mortals cannot begin to understand how god works...yada, yada, yada.

As we saw from the initial reaction to the incorrect news that all had been saved, the people were out there praising god and singing in his name. When it became apparent that no 'miracle' had happend and 12 of the 13 had died why did these people not then curse god? If he was to be given credit for saving them does he not deserve the blame for not saving them?

Conversely if the men died because it just took too long for the rescuers to get through the debris and it's not gods fault then maybe god deserves no praise for the one that survived. He survived because the rescuers made the heroic efforts to get to him before he died, no god involved there. If they had sat at the entrance to the tunnel and waited for god to perform a miracle what would have been the result?

Like a previous poster I too am fed up with people showering god with undeserved praise when good things happen but not assigning him blame when bad things happen. It has to be both or neither. If he chose to save one miner that means he chose not to save the others. Or he had nothing to do with any of it.

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,364.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
NothingButTheBlood said:
There is a thoughtfull debate on the religious issues here:

http://www.christianforums.com/t2480826-the-miners-and-prayer.html

That way people who want to state condolences don't have the read the other crap going on in here.

Where did it state this thread is only for offering condolences and not open to other 'crap?'

I doubt there isn't a person on this board, atheist or theist, who doesn't feel bad for the miners and their families. That's called being human.

But the title of the thread referred to 'Miracles' not 'Condolences' so I naturally came here for a look.

Reactions: marblehead
Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
StromRider said:
I doubt there isn't a person on this board, atheist or theist, who doesn't feel bad for the miners and their families. That's called being human.

Then I would suggest reading the thread in it's entirety. There are several here who's posts are not reflective of your statement.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.