Milwaukee frozen custard shop defends 'English only' policy

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Milwaukee frozen custard shop defends 'English only' policy
On Tuesday, Joey Sanchez stepped up to the counter of Leon’s Frozen Custard, a 70-year-old Milwaukee staple, and listened to the customer in front of him place his order in Spanish.

The shop is located on the city's south side, in a neighborhood with a large Hispanic population. Sanchez thought nothing of it.

Then he heard the server's response.

"She whispered to him in Spanish, 'I'm not allowed to speak Spanish to you,' " Sanchez told TV station Fox 6 Now.

Sanchez was shocked.

So when it came his turn to order, he, too, used his native tongue.

"I'm not allowed to speak Spanish to you," Sanchez said the server repeated.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Years ago I took a vacation where we visited Bryce, Zion and The Grand Canyon. Barely outside of Zion National Park there was an Ice Cream shop that had a booming business. I could have ordered in at least English, Spanish, German and French. At least. Not that they could carry on a detailed conversation but they had the flavors in at least those languages and the words for one scoop or 2.

I fully expect the owner will get what he wants and deserves, only English speaking customers. I expect he will also get what he does not expect, losing enough customers, including some who speak English far better than he does that his business becomes at risk.

Upvote 0