Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't miss the Pascha service for anything. It is such a beautiful and joyous service. Especially when you go back into the church after the procession and the church is all lit up and there are flowers everywhere. One priest I had, his face would just glow the entire service and he was so joyful. We have a family that live on the Indian reservation (the husband is Northern Cheyenne) a couple of hours away. They either stay with someone in the parish or at a hotel from Holy Thursday through Pascha.

I will say that during the feast after the liturgy when we have our Pascha baskets blessed and we eat what is in them and try to crack each others Pascha eggs, the kids are wide awake and very lively.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I just wanted to add - my non-Orthodox husband refuses to miss Pascha, even when it means he has to miss his Anglican Easter service, like this year. And he's someone who has to have his sleep. He just gets a nap in Saturday evening and again on Sunday.

Mary

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Families bring blankets & pillows & let the little ones sleep, then wake them up towards the end of Liturgy. Then we have the baskets blessed and have the festal meal. Our service starts at 11:30 with Compline, then Matins at midnight, followed by Divine Liturgy, so by the time the feast is over, it's between 4 & 5am. We go home & sleep, then come back for Agape Vespers & picnic at 2. It's the best day of the year!

As an Anglican, we had midnight Christmas Mass, which we always took our boys to. We just never had any problem with midnight services.

Mary

Ours works the same way. The priest that received me into the church is coming for Holy Week (and bringing his family), and we are having Agape Vespers at 11:30am followed by our parish potluck. I may just stay awake after I get home. If I only go to bed for a couple of hours, I usually do worse than if I just stay up. It is usually an hour or two after I get home from the Pascha service before I can even think of going to bed. I love Holy Week and it will be great to have Fr. Eric and family here for the week.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I also plan to watch the live streaming of the Paschal liturgy from Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow on Saturday if I get a chance. I was watching it last year on video as I was getting ready to go to church for the service, and it was perfect.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,711.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have serious sleep issues. I really do. When I take naps, my whole evening is energy city. But if I can't leave until like 2am from Fresno and get home at like 3:30 or so, holy smokes, then I'll be sleeping in until like 10am probably. Then that late sleep will throw off THAT evening's sleep so I'll be tired the whole next day and on and on....with me, sleep is a serious domino effect. If I get throw off a bit, I'm hosed. If I have to drive clear up to Fresno and stay awake in a church all night, Lord have mercy, my next 3-4 days will be less than fun, trust me! Ever since I was a baby I've had sleep issues. Drove my parents nuts! Haven't changed, unfortunately. My wife works night shifts, so Pascha being her off-night "day" off, that will keep her in night shift mode and screw up the next couple days.

It's a lousy setup for people like us, trust me!

I do. I also feel wiped on the days following midnight services.
I chalk it off as an inevitable price to pay. Normal routine returns. Bright Week follows.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I hear ya. I'll probably go, but I'm dreading the aftermath. My sleep habits SUCK!!! I'm not the "I'll just catch a little catnap and be just fine" sorta guy, UNFORTUNATELY! But I hear ya, Rus.

I chalk it off as an inevitable price to pay. Normal routine returns. Bright Week follows.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,075.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For some people, you could have services at noon in their garage and they would still have a hard time getting there. Accessibility is in the eye of the beholder.

Sadly that's very very true :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My girlfriend is still new to Orthodoxy and wanted to know why "such an important service is held at such an inaccessible time".

Any help explaining it would be appreciated,.

I think it's mainly so that not too many people come...oh wait - everyone comes, event the people who never come when liturgy is at 10am...go figure:)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it's mainly so that not too many people come...oh wait - everyone comes, event the people who never come when liturgy is at 10am...go figure:)
LOL I noticed that, too. About a quarter of the people crowded inside our little church back in Colorado Springs, we'd never seen before til that Saturday midnight service. But, it's all good. God bless them. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

oh I hear you. I crash afterwards and wake up for Agape Vespers and Paschal leftovers and one hurting stomach.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,116.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
oh I hear you. I crash afterwards and wake up for Agape Vespers and Paschal leftovers and one hurting stomach.

Yet another reason to leave doing the lamb on the spit for another day. We find it best to re - introduce meat into our diet very slowly after Pascha. Otherwise our stomachs have it in for us for the next couple of days ;)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yet another reason to leave doing the lamb on the spit for another day. We find it best to re - introduce meat into our diet very slowly after Pascha. Otherwise our stomachs have it in for us for the next couple of days ;)

I have yet to be that smart. I usually make a B-line for the first thing that used to have a hoof

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't eaten meat in 3 years. Haven't had a hamburger since 1989. If I were to eat that junk, I'd probably have a stroke at this point! Lord have mercy! :p

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,116.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I haven't eaten meat in 3 years. Haven't had a hamburger since 1989. If I were to eat that junk, I'd probably have a stroke at this point! Lord have mercy! :p
You would be very comfortable living on a monastic diet then I'm sure :)
Even better if cooked by monastics. Amazing how food tastes so much better when prepared with prayer.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I bet!!!

Yeah, that whole eating the lamb thing, I avoid that like the plague! LOL...I'd make a great monastic food-wise, like you said! LOL...although I'm a fool for chocolate and desserts, which I'm convinced are my Kryptonite! :p
Even better if cooked by monastics. Amazing how food tastes so much better when prepared with prayer.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

amen to that one. I think that is also, vegetarian or not, the food at Pascha tastes so good. because of the prayers and preparation that went into it, to include messing up the old bio clock when the service starts at 2330. I think that is part of what makes it the Feast of Feasts.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I don't eat very much at 2:30-3:00 in the morning after the midnight service is done. I don't like to eat at that time of night, so usually I have a half a bowl of the lamb stew and a little salad and a piece of bread and some juice or water, and then go home so I can get some sleep and be present for Agape service at noon. Not sure the schedule this year for the churches in our area. :D

Upvote 0